Best Les Paul soundalike that is not shaped like a Les Paul?

scolfax

• Members

Like the title says, what are some good Les Paul soundalikes that are not shaped like Les Pauls? As in, sounds as good, but with better ergonomics?

I don't really know, but I'll throw this mahogany Ibanez in as a potential example:

SAS32EXBK.gif

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The G&L ASAT Deluxe is made of mahogany with a flamed maple top and has dual humbuckers.

I love both my Gibson Les Pauls, but my ASAT Deluxe is better made and outplays them in every conceivable way while getting the Les Paul sounds I am looking for.

• Members

Like the title says, what are some good Les Paul soundalikes that are not shaped like Les Pauls? As in, sounds as good, but with better ergonomics?

I don't really know, but I'll throw this mahogany Ibanez in as a potential example:

SAS32EXBK.gif

is that an SZ?

• Members

Looks like a Les Paul in many ways, is it generally less cumbersome than an LP?

ibanez_artist_ar300.jpg

Yes, it seems to hang better too.

It's bizarre how close it sounds to my LP. I don't play either of them very often, but when I'm looking to fatten-up stuff in the studio I use those two to double-track parts. They really thicken things.

• Members

uh anything with a paf type humbucker? the sound comes from your pickup. sorry to rain on the parade.

Yep, an alder strat with a floating trem...and humbucker, sounds exactly like a Les Paul :poke: (you know I had to :lol:)

If you're the kind of guy who cranks the gain on everything he plays, then you are correct. A 2x4 with a humbucker will sound the same as any guitar.

• Members

Yep, an alder strat with a floating trem...and humbucker, sounds exactly like a Les Paul :poke: (you know I had to
:lol:
)

If you're the kind of guy who cranks the gain on everything he plays, then you are correct. A 2x4 with a humbucker will sound the same as any guitar.

with the same humbucker, it'll be damn close. you may think you're being cheeky but you're basically correct.

my jag hh is made of alder and I tried my lola humbuckers in it for a while and -- remarkably -- it sounded just like my set neck, all mahogany lola with those pickups! IMAGINE THAT!

Archived