Epi Les Pauls - Weight

mcr23

• Members

I'm usually a Gibson snob but I was thinking about buying an Epi LP. I would replace the tuners and maybe some other hardware, which is no sweat, but my one concern is the weight-relieved body.

I think it's only 8.25 pounds. I'm worried it's not going to have that chuncky "LP" sound.

amright? :confused:

• Members

I'm usually a Gibson snob but I was thinking about buying an Epi LP. I would replace the tuners and maybe some other hardware, which is no sweat, but my one concern is the weight-relieved body.

I think it's only 8.25 pounds. I'm worried it's not going to have that chuncky "LP" sound.

amright?
:confused:

My REAL Gibson Historic R9 (Non weight relieved) weights 8.5lbs and it is chunky as hell. As for weight relieved I am not sure. I doubt it though. Pups would be more of an issue imho.

• Members

I think the only chambered" (or "weight relieved", if you prefer) Epi LPs are the Ultras ... their regular LPs are not, afaik. My '07 Epi LP weighs in at a little over 9 lbs. I think the weight is mostly luck of the draw of whatever slab/slabs/layers of wood they happen to have on hand that day. I'm sure if you weighed 100 Epis (or 100 Gibsons or any brand), you'd come up with 100 different weights .... it's all good.

• Members

I'm sure if you weighed 100 Epis (or 100 Gibsons or any brand), you'd come up with 100 different weights .... it's all good.

This! :thu:

I've come across 10lb. Epis and 8lb. Gibsons...... and vise versa.

Also many different weights in between with either brand.

They all sound phat and chunky. I don't think weight has any effect on tone.

• Members

I had an Epi LP Custom that weighed a ton, and although I liked the way it played and sounded, it was too much of a back breaker to keep. However, I've gone into Guitar Center and compared the weight of a whole row of Epi LP's and they varied tremendously from one to the next.

• Members

I think the "heavy guitar = heavy tone" is a bit of a myth.

I remember reading an article from a famous pro player, who said he intentionally looked for light weight LP's, generally older ones because he thought they sounded better. In his mind Lighter was better. (Can't remember which player).

I've played both heavy and light, chambered and non-chambered, weight relieved and non-weight relieved. The ones with the most "sustain" tended to be the chambered ones.

This is good news to me, since I have no reason to break my back with a 12 lb monster that doesn't give me any extra value.

YMMV

M

• Members

I think the "heavy guitar = heavy tone" is a bit of a myth.

I remember reading an article from a famous pro player, who said he intentionally looked for light weight LP's, generally older ones because he thought they sounded better. In his mind Lighter was better. (Can't remember which player).

I've played both heavy and light, chambered and non-chambered, weight relieved and non-weight relieved. The ones with the most "sustain" tended to be the chambered ones.

This is good news to me, since I have no reason to break my back with a 12 lb monster that doesn't give me any extra value.

YMMV

M

Might have been Gary Moore, there was a period back in the 80s where he kind of swayed away from Lps. He even played an Ibanez RS 1000 because he said he was looking for guitars under 8lbs

• Members

I like some of the lighter weight Les Pauls anyway. It adds some top end to the tone. Not all the heavy LPs were great sounding. Some were/are a bit on the muddy side, especially from the neck position.

The two LPs that I have that IMO best define the iconic LP tone are my Epiphone Elite LP Standard and my Gibson VOS '59. The rest of them all have tones that are a bit of a departure but still cool sounding in their own right. If I was judging just by my ears and could only have one LP, I'd probably want a bit of a lighter one since I find their tone to be a bit more versatile, especially into the clean tones.

• Members

Higher grade mahagony weighs less. For a high quality gibby you are looking 8.5-9 lbs.

But then again, you look at the way Gibson grades the bodies. Heavier ones are often "reserved" for Black Beauties and other such Custom model guitars.

Someone once posted here a picture from the factory that showed weight markings and categorized for the different models.

Archived