Show me you TELE(Parts)Caster Builds

Johansolo

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ok. so you got the slant style vs their version of the Wilkinson saddles. I did notice on their website that they pretty much fabricate their own stuff so I guess that would account for why they are so pricey...
:o

Brass barrels are brass barrels. It's the bridge plate that's the big difference between Wilkinson and Callaham.

• Members

I found a RI Esquire neck on the bay, so I ended up putting this together. Just a standard MIM (I believe) string through body with a texas special in a standard bridge. I have the three position switch wired for 1) tone pot bypass 2) with tone pot and 3) Stewart Mcdonald "Black Ice" capaciter.

IMG_3406.jpg

That's a beautiful guitar. The singly ply pickguard looks great against that body.

• Members

thanks guys ...theres some killer tele builds...keep em coming.

i think im leaning more towardsa natural grain finish or blonde with maple neck and black pickguard. (like the first post under my OP)

im still deciding on pickups/wiring config.

im a big ritchie kotzen fan so im considering going a twang king + chopper T...but ive never been a fan of ceramic pickups.

anyone have any thoughts on the stacked single colis for the bridge position?

how are hot rails meant to sound?

i want a tele sound for blues pop with a hard rock edge(to add to my collection of american deluxe S/S/S strat,PRS CE24, Ibby 7string and epi LP) but im not really

i havent really got into the country playing yet...that seems like a whole new technique that looks hard

• Members

i think im leaning more towardsa natural grain finish or blonde with maple neck and black pickguard. (like the first post under my OP)

im a big ritchie kotzen fan so im considering going a twang king + chopper T...but ive never been a fan of ceramic pickups.

i want a tele sound for blues pop with a hard rock edge(to add to my collection of american deluxe S/S/S strat,PRS CE24, Ibby 7string and epi LP) but im not really

i havent really got into the country playing yet...that seems like a whole new technique that looks hard

I have the Kent Armstrong hot tele set in two of mine, wired with 4 way switches and they can handle pretty much the range you describe there. Lots of great pickup choices out there in all price ranges: GFS, Wilde Keystones, Original Fender, Fralin, BG, etc...

Jimmy Page used a tele for the first couple of Led Zeppelin albums.

• Members

ArtGuitar33.jpg

GFS Ash body, my own original art

Mighty-Mite Birdseye neck

Wilkinson compensated 3-saddle bridge, installed as a top-loader

Stew-Mac electronics

BG Pickups (great!)

no-name tuners

Used AZGuitarParts.com for the tuners and neck. Very good service and prices. A lot of miscellaneous parts from Stew Mac.

woa...badass

• Members

Vintage spec Tele pickups can't be beat. Id get a set of Nocasters or Fred Stuart Blackguards.

• Members

That is a fantastic looking tele. . .

:love:
:love:

Thanks! It was a lot of work and time. I stripped the poly by hand, then as a first attemp at finishing I grain filled and then sprayed many light coats over a 3 week period, then let that dry for three months before final buff/polish.

• Members

Please excuse my daughter's blanket...

stustele.jpg

I found a loaded solid alder body with "hot alnico pickups" on ebay for 55 quid including postage and stuck a maple neck on it (30 quid on ebay inc postage). Added some Kluson tuners and a compensated Wilkinson bridge. I may or may not swap out the pickups once I hear it though a proper amp. My home amp is too crap to really gauge the pickups that are currently on it, although they are certainly not horrible or anything.

• Members

My two builds:

DSCF1421-1.jpg

Blue Tele:

Alder Body

Allparts TMO-C neck (taller frets, 10" radius), Tru-oil finish

Gotoh bridge

Grover locking tuners

GFS Pups

Natural Tele:

Swamp ash body, Tru-oil finish

Allparts TMO neck (vintage frets, 7.25" radius), Tru-oil finish

Tonerider Pups

Bigsby bridge

Grover locking tuners

• Members

so this brings me to another question...

Ash body or Alder body?

im pretty not sure if my American Deluxe Strat is Ash or alder (ive got the serial number inside the body cavity but its not with me at hte momment) and my PRS is alder with mahogony top, ibby 7 string is basswood and the LP is mahagony.

im trying to get hte most diverse range of tones with the addition of the tele...as it will most probably the last guitar my wife will ever let me have.

• Members

so this brings me to another question...

Ash body or Alder body?

im pretty not sure if my American Deluxe Strat is Ash or alder (ive got the serial number inside the body cavity but its not with me at hte momment) and my PRS is alder with mahogony top, ibby 7 string is basswood and the LP is mahagony.

im trying to get hte most diverse range of tones with the addition of the tele...as it will most probably the last guitar my wife will ever let me have.

Being a bit of a trad nazi Id stick with ash/maple, alder/maple, alder/rosewood...I prefer maple for the feel and ash for the looks. THat being said I would love a alder/rosewood Esquire ala Pete Anderson (Dwight Yoakam)

Archived