NGD - The GAS Man apologizes, but must endorse the Squier Classic Vibe Duosonic

GAS Man

• Members

Could be the honeymoon effect - so apologies are extended in the title.

Could also be that I hit the Bombay Saphire Blue Gin the moment I got home from work and opened this box.

And by the way, this was the best packed guitar I'd ever seen. I should have taken a picture of the packing method. I am often massively amazed at what they are doing with cardboard in this day and age. But to sumarize, box in a box, in a box, and "state of the art" of protective cardboard appendage design.

Now I'm sorry, I don't have a picture for you right now, but my wife took her camera away that used to be connected to this computer. I'll get her to snap a pic and send it to me via e-mail off her computer so I can put it up here.

The first review I remember seeing on YouTube on this guitar had some clowns talking about how these guitars were originally crap and how the RIs were no better.

But recently I saw a better video on YT that made me think, "my, that's some nice tone!"

[YOUTUBE]g0VeVcYg4dk&feature[/YOUTUBE]

So anyway, mine arrived tonight -

sorry, stock webshot -

558344.jpg

I think this guitar should find a place somewhere in a similar vein to the Squier '51 fan craze, but it's different. A little more Fender twang oriented and the lower output pickups put it more in the "less edgie" category than the '51s. This also makes it a bit more interesting and bluesy when you start to really pour on your amp's gain. It still wants to stay clean, but starts to add some nice warm grit.

I'd seen folks comment about how light these guitars are, but that didn't prepare me.

I had my wife hold my Fender Bad Boy Blue Strat (ash) then the Duo Sonic (basswood) for comparison.

She asked, "why is it so light?" I gave her (totally female) the obvious answer that "it is made of cotton candy".

Then I had her hold the BBB Strat again for comparison and she let the butt hit the carpet, not ready for the increase in weight. (brief scolding ensued)

Well anyway, take my review with the proper grain of salt -

-Honeymoon NGD period

-Bombay Saphire Blue Gin

But damn, I haven't had this much fun unpacking a new guitar and plugging it in (to my Fender NOS BJ) in quite some time. And yes, I have a love hate relationship with that amp, but with this guitar, it is more luv.

This guitar does indeed score well in the "bang for the buck" category as our YouTube author states.

I own guitars costing up to $4500, but when you find a guitar that is hard to put down for $255, you've got to say :thu:

• Members
Very cool guitar!!!!

Congrats, man!

Thanks Fets,

This one is prescribed for you.

Since I live in the Ever-rain state, I used the OCT20% coupon from MF (but they charge us 8.5% sales tax :cry::cry:) and Sam Ash bettered it at $255.

For that price, I think these are a no brainer for a GAS'r of bang for the buck gear.

• Members

Definitely feeling the impending craze. All they're missing is a crazy low price, say $100 or even $150.

They look awesome and that video makes them sound great.

How is the short scale?

Gosh, thanks for reminding me. I knew that but hadn't thought about it since it arrived. The strings certainly feel supple with that scale. I did a little communicating with the guy who posted that vid above. He strung his with a set of D'Addario 11s. I think I will eventually follow suit.

I remember years ago that a guitar teach of mine was telling me that "twang" partly comes from scale length. Maybe true, but I don't sense any loss of twang with this 24".

• Members

I wish the body was white. That'd look great with the gold pickguard

they did the 50s strat in white with the blonde neck and gold guard. it does look awesome. the dessert pudding... i mean sand colour i think looks great in real life, but it often looks a bit blah in photos.

• Members

Outstanding. Uh oh--did it go out of tune. {censored}. I knew it was too good to be true.

i know youre joking, but i have to throw in that my duosonic seems to stay in tune over long periods of time better than most of my other guitars. not sure why that is - perhaps the bridge style or just lucky.

• Members

i know youre joking, but i have to throw in that my duosonic seems to stay in tune over long periods of time better than most of my other guitars. not sure why that is - perhaps the bridge style or just lucky.

No, really it did. At 1:40. And then the GAS man never did quite get it back. Maybe the strings were brand new or worse--from the factory. Anyway, GAS MAN, keep us posted about the tuning stability. The tone is amazing.

• Members
No, really it did. At 1:40. And then the GAS man never did quite get it back. Maybe the strings were brand new or worse--from the factory. Anyway, GAS MAN, keep us posted about the tuning stability. The tone is amazing.

i think he started out of tune and realized it later. :)
anyhow, i knew what you were referring to - thats not gasmans video. i just thought id throw in some irony that my duosonic is rarely out of tune.

... my playing on the other hand...

• Members
i think he started out of tune and realized it later.
:)
anyhow, i knew what you were referring to - thats not gasmans video. i just thought id throw in some irony that my duosonic is rarely out of tune.

... my playing on the other hand...

OH, so it's some random dude's video. Good. Because talk about bad taste in wardrobe. Anyway, I'll take your word. Every Squire I've owned has stayed in tune just fine, but I did have one with a really soft neck. It was like rubber. I traded it in for my 52 tele RI in 1986.

Archived