You know, I'm beginng to wonder about Gibsons prices....

mymindsok

• Members

Lately, I've been buying old guitar magazines at my local resale shop instead of buying new ones, because the slick mags really only recycle the same faces and info over and over again and lets face it, a reads a read.

Anyway, I've been checking out the guitar ads from the 90's and you know what? Gibson's stuff was priced sky high back then! In fact, after comparing Fender and Gibby prices, it's Fender and the also-rans that have boosted prices the most.

Do you think that I'm wrong in thinking that the "Big G" has always been "overpriced" compared to the competition or is this another figment of my overactive imagination? :confused:

• Members

I don't know. I've got some Musician's Friend catalogs from the 90s and the MSRP for a LP Standard back then was about $1800. No idea what they were actually selling for because that was when you had to 'Call for price' on them. But the MSRP for a LP Traditional, which is the same as the mid 90s LP Standard is currently $3279 with an actual price of $2189 for the ebony and goldtop and $3449 with an actual price of $2299 for the 'Pro' version, which has the flamed maple top.

So the MSRP has roughly doubled in the last 15 years or so.

• Members

Gibsons seem to have a bit more work done to get the product finished. Binding, fancier inlays, set neck or one piece (Firebird). Prettier wood because of natural, bookmatched or see through finishes. The only time I recall that they weren't really over priced was in the mid 60's when I was a poor teenager. At that time, used late 50's LP Jr.s were a steal at $200. In the mid 60's that was still a lot of money for a 13 year old but I managed.

Of course I wound up with 2 of them which I don't own any more and I regret it selling them. My crystal ball wasn't working back then.

Then about 68 I got an SG Special (original P. Townshend style with out the bull{censored}). I think that was around $500-$600. I don't have that one any more either. (damn). I traded it in for a 69 LP Deluxe goldtop. It's gone too.

(whimper)

• Members

They were expensive when I first started playing guitar in the 70's, and they are still expensive today. I think Gibson takes a lot more crap than they probably should in this regard. Some of their custom shop stuff is crazy expensive, but the SG and LP standards don't seem particularly expensive compared to other American made instruments of similar construction style. :idk:

• Members

My dad and I bought a Goldtop LP Deluxe around 1981 from a guy who worked at the Gibson plant (we live in Nashville). It was $450 +$100 for the hardshell case.

As it turned out, it was a Norlin-era POS, so it's been long gone from my collection. Traded it for a Rick 330-12 (which I also no longer own).

Archived