Idea: Aluminum foil tape finish?

alex9152

• Members

I got this idea from seeing the restoration of the duct tape covered guitar, but was afraid to ask it because my refinish project is already botched.

Duct tape is too thick, but would aluminum foil tape make for a good looking finish? Also, what to do for clear coating?

• Members

Yeah, also, a problem with it, is that if your guitar has any routes, curves, body contours, beveled edges, there is no way to get the tape to bend 3 dimentionally around those curves. It will only bend two dimentiobnally. If you try tto do a compuudn bend with it, it just bubbles up, and you cant puch the bubbles down. You will have little creases and flaps sticking up everywhere that occurs. You would also see the edge of the tape lines, and the whole thing wouldnt last very long, as that tape is fragile and rips ridiculously easy, I mean you could clearcoat it, but then, you could also clearcoat a fresh steamer left by the cat. That still wouldnt make it right though.

• Members

here's an air guitar covered in packing tape
:p

Airguitar.jpg

Whatever it is, someone imagined and built it all wrong. Looks like Tele body, Jackson or maybe ESP headstock.

Lousy contoured body. Might as well go with the duct tape and no clear coat. Is there such a thing as thinner duct tape? Or maybe I could go ahead with the foil tape, using the widest tape possible, and then say it was made from leftover pizza slices or whatever kind of leftovers are wrapped in aluminum foil.

• Members

If mine was rear routed it would work out. Ordinary strat body here so pickguard on the front, and instead of Floyd, regular 6-screw trem. Yours has another problem: Floyd looking bridge, non-locking nut. Hopefully you've got locking tuners.

No locking tuners, but that's OK since I blocked the trem with a 9v battery. The whammy bar is just on there for show.

The guitar itself is pretty crappy (poor intonation, only one halfway decent sound), so I never use it onstage. I keep it in my office at work and all the high school kids love to take it outside and play heavy metal licks on it.

• 11 years later...

Archived