Road worn tele's are growing on me..

Symmetry2170

• Members

I finally gave one a chance today and it sounded great through an AC30. The neck took a bit of getting used to, but it was pretty awesome. Price is a bit steep, but I really like them now. I initially wrote them off as pieces of garbage but it's definitely not, IMO.

Anyone own one?

• Members

Did you know that yesterday at MF during their Fender Friday deal the Road Worn tele was available for 549 bucks. Pretty good deal. The previous Fender Fridays have been pretty good. I'm waiting for a big selection so I can buy something I would really like.

• Members

I think it's interesting the the small radiuses tend to be a bit scary. You tend to worry about having to keep your action high so they won't fret out on bends etc, but then when you are playing them, they just feel so dang "ergonomic" to me. But I do tell myself I shouldn't like them. ;)

I haven't played the RW series yet, but I keep hearing reports from folks who have (and whose reports I respect) that say the series really sound good. I find that interesting because I own a couple guitars that are far down on my list of favorites, and I've long blamed that on the Tex Mex pickups. But Fender must have spec'd some pretty good timber for these to make them all work together well. I really think that's a good chunk of the reason the price tag is up there on these guys. I don't think it's just time spent to scratch, burn and piss on them for the relic'ing, I think they've put some good ingredients in the mix. The guitars the I own with the TMs tend to be more shallow, not very resonant, and therefore a bit bright and thin sounding. I'm not hearing those reports on the RW series.

The one that sometimes catches my eye is this guy.

p2_uktq0ljo2_so.jpg

• Members

I have the Joe Strummer tele, which was a 'road worn' before the road worn series came out. I think its the same specs as the classic 60's tele, but with the road worn series pickups and a road worn finish. Great guitar for the $600 I paid for it.

• Members

I think it's interesting the the small radiuses tend to be a bit scary. You tend to worry about having to keep your action high so they won't fret out on bends etc, but then when you are playing them, they just feel so dang "ergonomic" to me. But I do tell myself I shouldn't like them.
;)

p2_uktq0ljo2_so.jpg

That looks cool.

I love the 7.25 radius on my 60's Classic,it has become my go to/handy guitar, it is extremely comfy,fits the natural curve of the hand.

• Members
As others have mentioned, the small neck radius is a deal breaker. I really do not like the feel of a 7.25" neck.[/quote

Not bonding with the neck it is a definite deal breaker, I had top change out the 7.25 radius that came on a 50s Classic Strat for a 9.5.

But... If a 7.25 is setup well, it will not fret out, you can do bends on it and it feels wonderful for chord work.

:thu:

• Members

i also hear that some people that have been gigging with them for a while really start to see some wear on them. they all look similar out of the box but after playing them for a while theyll take on their own unique look. just something else to think about.

• Members

i also hear that some people that have been gigging with them for a while really start to see some wear on them. they all look similar out of the box but after playing them for a while theyll take on their own unique look. just something else to think about.

yes all guitars look exactly the same when they are new, why do people think RWs shouldn't? They have a nitro finish which will wear pretty quickly. Unlike the Joe Strummer Tele which has poly and completely different specs.

• Members

I think it's interesting the the small radiuses tend to be a bit scary. You tend to worry about having to keep your action high so they won't fret out on bends etc, but then when you are playing them, they just feel so dang "ergonomic" to me. But I do tell myself I shouldn't like them.
;)

I haven't played the RW series yet, but I keep hearing reports from folks who have (and whose reports I respect) that say the series really sound good. I find that interesting because I own a couple guitars that are far down on my list of favorites, and I've long blamed that on the Tex Mex pickups. But Fender must have spec'd some pretty good timber for these to make them all work together well. I really think that's a good chunk of the reason the price tag is up there on these guys. I don't think it's just time spent to scratch, burn and piss on them for the relic'ing, I think they've put some good ingredients in the mix. The guitars the I own with the TMs tend to be more shallow, not very resonant, and therefore a bit bright and thin sounding. I'm not hearing those reports on the RW series.

p2_uktq0ljo2_so.jpg

This looks so {censored}in cheesy.

Archived