Jazz Guitar Players: What Do You Use?

JohnPW

• Members

I play this, with chrome flats. AF125AMB:

AF125-AMB-1.jpg

You'll love the 105, too. The necks are a thing of beauty. Easily one of the most comfortable I've played. The fret work is gorgeous and I've yet to touch the truss rod on mine. I played a few of the Artcore Customs (105, 125 both) at different stores and the quality was consistently top-notch.

The only situation where I don't think it is the best choice is heavy distortion, high-gain at moderate and above volumes. I've done it but with judicious use of palm-muting and then it was on a lark.

Do it, you'll enjoy it. :thu:

• Members

An Ibanez AGS83 (semi-hollow), an old, unidentified Epiphone (hollow), and a Tele (solid). I only have a photo of the Ibanez.

n82400495_30872219_4203.jpg

I think the Artcores make a good entry-level hollowbody.

I just found out about this model tonight, the AF105F, which is (in my mind) their most traditional jazzbox. It seems like they're either not available in the U.S., or they've been discontinued. Too bad, as I'd like to try one.

I01-AF105FNT.jpg

• Members

I use the AF 105 with spalted maple. Truly a thing of beauty. This is my bigband/solo jazz guitar. In the more modern combo setting I play in my axe of choice is a DeArmond Starfire special.

Great thick tone, awesome playability and absolutely astonishing looks.

Be sure to get some thickass flatwounds with it :D And a thick pick.

Withe the heavier strings and pick attack this guitar really comes alive, gets a more defined yet resonant sound.:love:

• Members

All my guitars do jazz:

- Classical

- Selmer copy

- Eastman acoustic archtop w/ floating mini humb.

- Gibson ES-125CD (full depth hollow w/ 2P90s)

- Heritage H530 (ES-330 copy: hollow, P90s)

- Heritage H535 (ES-335 copy: semi-hollow, humbuckers)

I also used to play jazz on a strat.

If you're going to buy an archtop, consider seriously whether you want an acoustic (solid top) archtop with floating pickup or an electric archtop (laminate) with a set pickup. They're two different beasts: they sound different, require different playing dynamics and offer more or less resistance to feedback. Acoustics with floaters are great, but not for everyone.

• Members

I stumbled across this purely by chance. A 2006 Fusion Blues FB-700. Sounds wonderful acoustically, plugged in, it leaves something to be desired. Nice and clean, but the pickups are a tad bright, and the electronics need to be upgraded. A fantastic deal, but they are scarce as hens' teeth.

100_1111.jpg

• Members

Godin 5th Aveune Kingpinhttp://www.godinguitars.com/godin5thavenuekingpinp.htm

This is a sweet guitar. I have played it, and love. I just can't justify it.

In all reality, all guitars can play jazz. It just depends on the tone you want. It is just like anything else. It is about the feel of the guitar in your hands. Traditionalist like a big box with a deep mellow sound. I have heard guys with strat have a great tone. It depends on your own desired tone.

Archived