DP6 Quits

Ernest Buckley

• Members

I`ve been using REASON for all my MIDI needs for a long time but I have a project now that could use some of Digital Performers MIDI capability so I started laying down MIDI tracks last night. Every thing runs smoothly until I try to manually enter drums in DP. I`m using my Roland JV1080 for General MIDI and this is when DP quits. Any ideas why this is happening?

Frustrating week for me on the tech side... first my iTunes won`t import and now DP is quitting on me... argh...:mad:

• Members

The first thing I'd check for is a MIDI feedback loop. Try disconnecting the MIDI out from the Roland module and see if it fixes it. That is, just have one MIDI cable going from your Computer output to your Roland module input, but no MIDI cable from Roland output back to Computer input.

• Members

When you say "manually enter" what exactly are you doing?

Are you recording a midi track in real time by playing on your JV keyboard?

Are you step recording via the JV?

Are you typing note values and times via "add event" in the event list?

I was programming drums via a mouse accessing the Roland JV1080 sounds.

• Members

The first thing I'd check for is a MIDI feedback loop. Try disconnecting the MIDI out from the Roland module and see if it fixes it. That is, just have one MIDI cable going from your Computer output to your Roland module input, but no MIDI cable from Roland output back to Computer input.

I don`t think thats the problem. I only have MIDI out going to the 1080. The only feedback loop would be the keyboard I use (Roland FP3) which has MIDI in and out to the MOTU MTP-AV but thats never been a problem.

• Members

Yes, I have DP 6.02 which I think is the latest version.

Yes it is.

Sounds like what you're using is pretty similar to stuff I have, although I sold my JV-1080 last year after switching to a Fantom XR, I still have an XP-30. I access all my outboard gear via a Midi Timepiece AV and run DP6 on a MBP. I've never attempted to step record however. Let me know if you think there may be a bug that I can attempt to duplicate.

• Members

As a way to troubleshoot, I would suggest temporarily disconnecting the Roland device, and trying your drum patterns with the DP6 included drum plugin Model 12.

If this works, you know the problem has something to do with external MIDI. Anyways, I wouldn't be surprised if you find there are sounds in Model 12 you like better than your old Roland Module anyways.

• Members

Yes, in DP its considered the "Drum Editor". You think the window has something to do with it?

"Drum Editor" is different from "Step Record"

There's a lot of different ways to put data into a DP file, so if you are having difficulty with an outboard keyboard vs. typing on the computer's QWERTY board, that can narrow your issue.

You can also use "quick keys" which is a floating window that assigns QWERTY keys to piano keys.

Archived