talk me into/out of getting a CHEAP TELE copy

Johansolo

• Members

another spanner in the works on my tele quest

initially wanted a off hte shelf fender...then wanted a part-s-caster...

now ive discovered the cheapies...(eg sx/agile/xavier)

im not wanting this as my main axe...just something ot complement my other guitars (PRS,Fender STrat,LP,7string)

so im thinking of getting a cheapie and just upgrading hte pups etc?

talk me into it?

and/or post pics of your cheap tele copies and tell me what you have done to improve them etc

I have an SX telecaster that I installed a TV Jones Supertron and Savalas bridge in....Tonerider Vintage Plus pickup at the neck. Other than that stock. I love it.

No pics though.

• Members

My squier Affinity Tele, is the best dollar to quality ratio I have ever had in my 30 or so guitars I have owned. 170.00 buys ALOT of guitar in this case. I am not a chiepie lover, per say. I have some really nice expensive gear in my stash. It is just that, in this case, I cant see a better spent wad of cash on any guitar I have ever had. Some of the nicer ones are alot nicer, but for the money, the butterscotch Affinity is some well spent cash.

I can't argue wth that either. I played one and it was great. Even the thinner body felt good. I had the matching butterscotch/black/maple Strat Affinity that I wish I never got rid of too.

• Members

90's era Yamaha Pacifica Tele 102s even is a great player and they can be found fairly inexpensive.

I had a 302S and while the build quality was excellent and it played like a dream, I could never coax a true Tele sound out of it. Always just a touch midrangy for my taste. YMMV.

• Members

im going to have to rethink this. the xavier keef is $199US...however shipping to aus is an extra $130ishUS bring the total to around $340AUS (this is without hardcase)

a Squier affinity butterscotch goes for around $315AUD new and around $200AUD second hand...

the CV new is - $700AUD and around $500AUD second hand.

waiting to find out how much shipping for the jay tursey will be.

this is tele gas at its worst for me.

• Members
My squier Affinity Tele, is the best dollar to quality ratio I have ever had in my 30 or so guitars I have owned. 170.00 buys ALOT of guitar in this case. I am not a chiepie lover, per say. I have some really nice expensive gear in my stash. It is just that, in this case, I cant see a better spent wad of cash on any guitar I have ever had. Some of the nicer ones are alot nicer, but for the money, the butterscotch Affinity is some well spent cash.

I couldnt agree more:thu:

guitars037_edited-1.jpg

• Members

im going to have to rethink this. the xavier keef is $199US...however shipping to aus is an extra $130ishUS bring the total to around $340AUS (this is without hardcase)

a Squier affinity butterscotch goes for around $315AUD new and around $200AUD second hand...

the CV new is - $700AUD and around $500AUD second hand.

waiting to find out how much shipping for the jay tursey will be.

this is tele gas at its worst for me.

Not a fan of my suggestion (telecustom 2)?

I got it for $420 at Billy Hydes (I too hail from Perth), albeit it was at a sale price.

• Members

^ i like the idea of soapbars ( i love the look of the Jimmy Eat world sig tele) but i want the tele tone at this point.
plus i want a traditional telelookwise so the pickguard of the custom2 doesnt do it ofr me...

anways...i may have stumbled across a 2nd hand squier vintage modified for cheap...fingers crossed

Archived