Let's talk straplocks...

Symmetry2170

• Members

Looking to get a set and I'm not sure which ones are most reliable. I know you have 2 basic designs, and a handful brands. I've used Schallers, but that was years ago and I had a bad experience with them ripping out and stripping the wood of the guitar.

Dunlop, Schaller, Ernie Ball. The first and last being the same design more or less. What are your guys' experiences with them? Any of them more reliable than another?

• Members

I've had schallers Grolsh and the Dimarzio clip lock straps and of those I much prefer the Cliplock's. And they are cheaper than a strap and straplocks for the whole package.

I've used DiMarzio clip locks on my Ibanezes for years, but I'm getting a tele and want to get that plain strap look, yah know?

• Members

I've used Schallers, Dunlops those little plastic things and those leather strap things from back in the 70's.

None of them are perfect. I lean toward Schallers because I've had a few instances were I thought my Dunlop was connected and it wasn't - So I watched my LP headstock bounce on the studio floor.

The Schallers are a little better but you have to check the nut that holds them on, I've had it come off and almost cause a failure.

The leather things back in the 70's were pretty good but it was a pain to take your strap off to put in the case.

The little plastic disc things are alright but sometime the just fall off.

The definitive strap lock has yet to be invented.

• Members

I've used Schallers, Dunlops those little plastic things and those leather strap things from back in the 70's.

None of them are perfect. I lean toward Schallers because I've had a few instances were I thought my Dunlop was connected and it wasn't - So I watched my LP headstock bounce on the studio floor.

The Schallers are a little better but you have to check the nut that holds them on, I've had it come off and almost cause a failure.

The leather things back in the 70's were pretty good but it was a pain to take your strap off to put in the case.

The little plastic disc things are alright but sometime the just fall off.

The definitive strap lock has yet to be invented.

Right on. I just get worried that when I play out and get real into it, I'm going to rip the strap button right out of the guitar...which would be seriously unfortunate.

• Members

I think Schallers are the best, but lately I've been convinced that a good strap with nice thick leather at the ends is plenty secure enough for my purposes. I'm not thrashing around or spinning the guitar or playing behind my head so it's fine. Once I put a strap on I leave it on so they don't wear out too quick. Note that if you get a strap with thick leather ends you will have a little trouble getting schallers to fit on. Oh and whatever you do use the same screw that was on your guitar to put the button on or you will always have the risk of it stripping out. It's happened to me before too and I had to fill the hole and start over.

• Members

I used screw-in straplocks for years (different brands) but now I just use a Planet Waves locking strap -- it pops over the stock guitar strap nub and tightens down. Earlier Planet Waves models were a bit bulky, but they are making them much smaller now. Definitely worth looking into for $20.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Planet-Waves-2-PLANET-LOCK-Strap?sku=580132

• Members

they're usually behind the counter at the local M&P gathering dust. i've had the same set on my Ibanez since 1995.

I've used those too. They're not the prettiest but they are probably the least likely to fail. They are great as long as you are fine leaving your strap on forever. As I said above I have no issue with this.

• Members

I've used those too. They're not the prettiest but they are probably the least likely to fail. They are great as long as you are fine leaving your strap on forever. As I said above I have no issue with this.

yep. never had one fail, each guitar has its own strap. i guess if you're thing is buying one really nice strap and switching from guitar to guitar, these aren't going to work for you. but i find that the regular old nylon adjustable ones work fine for me. i never seem to find the right setting on leather ones.

• Members

I've used the Dunlop mushroom-shaped strap-loks on all of my guitars with great success.

Rather then attach the locking mechanism to the strap, I simply put the strap onto the button, and then attach the locking mechanism to the hole in the end of the button. This way, I can use any strap I want, and the strap is still locked to the button.

• Members

Looking to get a set and I'm not sure which ones are most reliable. I know you have 2 basic designs, and a handful brands. I've used Schallers, but that was years ago and I had a bad experience with them ripping out and stripping the wood of the guitar.

Dunlop, Schaller, Ernie Ball. The first and last being the same design more or less. What are your guys' experiences with them? Any of them more reliable than another?

I use Schallers. I've never had a problem with them coming out of the wood. Sometimes I do put a toothpick into the hole with the screw to get a tighter fit if it's not tightening down enough.

• Members

I'm a fan of the Grolsch grommets. I never have worries about new screws, Loktite, toothpicks, checking for tightness, or any of that. Finish your beer, pop off the grommets, put them on the strap posts and they work as long as you want them to. Lo-fi, no maintenance, and effective.

You guys should seriously try it. All you're paying for is the beer. The strap locks are essentially free. :)

And then you can go back to debating about Dunlop vs. Schaller if the Grolsch isn't your style. ;)

Archived