Maple or rosewood FB? Help me decide.

fragglerick

• Members

I'm trying to decide whether to use a maple or rosewood fretboard on my next project guitar.

Here's the specs...

Strat style body, rear rout, 1 pc. Honduran mahogany, nitro finish.

Floyd trem, Duncan JB bridge, 59 neck.

Maple neck, ??? fretboard.

Is their really a drastic tone difference between maple and rosewood fingerboards?

• Members

I was going to say that a maple board would look better, but as you're gonig to stick an ugly-as-sin Floyd on it, does it matter? :lol: Kidding, kidding.... it's your guitar! ;)

In my opinion, having been playing some 17 years and handled a lot of guitars in that time, I am inclined to the view that while obviously it must make some sort of a difference (in the same way that any variable between one guitar and another will do), but that difference will be so negligeble as to not be audible to the human ear - especially not once pushed through a set of pups and a cranked amp, maybe some f/x.....

I know you're not going with a figured top, but I can see a maple board contrasting nicely with the mahogany in a way that makes me think of the EVH Musicman Guitars, oddly.... Equally, the rosewood against the mahogany would give it something of that vibe that Gibson Specials do.... Personally, I tend to prefer maple on Strats, partly cosmetically and partly feel - I prefer the feel of a finished maple board over unfinished rosewood.... That might be part of the equation for you.

Will the mahogany body be light or darker in tone? Are you gonig to clear-coat it, or finish it with something that will darken it? Do you want the dark / dark look of mahog / rosewood, or a dark/light contrast as with mahog / maple?

No direct answer from me, but hopefully some helpful questions!

• Members
I've been a rosewood guy for a long time now, but for this guitar I was leaning towards maple for aesthetic reasons. (guitar will be black) Plus I figured it would add a little bit of brightness to the mahogany body.

I do prefer maple with black guitars. That's my one exception. :thu:

Archived