Anybody follow the meltdown over between the monkeys and toto?

Bookumdano2

• Members

I love the way the green guards' battle axe/pike things droop in unison as the witch melts. And, since the first time I saw it, I've been impressed by the fluidity of the melting effect. It's not all that hard to imagine how it's done but it looks great, just the same. And, of course, her last words are just so choice... What a world, what a world...

A great moment in meltdowns.

• Members

What a coincidence... I just watched this movie in BLU-RAY yesterday--- intensely realistic and fine-focused--- which is quite an amazing thing to see.

For 1939, all the effects are just wonderful.

I think the thing that's cool is that even though the sets in Oz all look like... well... sets (whereas Kansas looks like Kansas during the Dustbowl period), it's almost impossible not to get caught up in the emotional sweep of it. And the imagination of the effects, as well as their execution, really sell them. When the flames shoot up in the Wizard's hall the first time, it's really stunning. And those aren't just any flying monkeys... they're not cute little organ grinder monkeys... they're malevolent and really scary looking.

And then there's the cast. Can anyone think of any substitutions that would make it a better cast? I don't think so. (Maybe some of us have read about some of the casting considerations they made, tossing around different actors.) Certainly, other character actors could have been cast as the Scarecrow, Tin Man, and Lion, but it's hard to imagine any better or more endearing. And Dorothy? There were lots of talented ingenues in Hollywood at the time, but I can't imagine who could have been a better, a more compelling job of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow."

When you've got the audience's heart, their minds will follow.

• Moderators

"She's dead... you killed her."

I always loved that turn around there. Now they're in trouble. All the guards will be pissed and out for vengeng... wait... you wanted her dead?!?!?!

"Ding dong the witch is dead!" It still makes me smile.

Now a question. When the house lands and kills one of the witches. Dorothy is in the house and things are still B & W. When they make the awesome change to Technicolor, why didn't they do it at a cut? It's just color off, color on, all mid-scene.

It even bothered me as a little kid. Why? A cut would have been so cool.

• Members

And then there's the cast. Can anyone think of any substitutions that would make it a
better
cast? I don't think so. (Maybe some of us have read about some of the casting considerations they made, tossing around different actors.) Certainly, other character actors could have been cast as the Scarecrow, Tin Man, and Lion, but it's hard to imagine any better or more endearing.

I can't imagine Jed Clampet as the Tin Man!

Dan

Archived