$1200 USD to Spend

Blubum

• Members

First off, I'm sorry if people ask for suggestions like this a lot and you guys are tired of it. But anyway, I am going to be buying my first electric guitar and amp soon, and need some direction on what to buy. I know its a lot to spend on a first, but I have had an acoustic for a few months and am truly interested in pursuing this so I figure spending more gives me a guitar I can grow into and ultimately better resale value. I plan to play Rock, Funk, Blues, maybe some Jazz, but no metal, so distortion is not a priority. I'm not particularly interested in Les Pauls, but I'm open to anything else, including other Gibson/Epiphone. If I didn't include something important let me know, and thanks for your time and help.

• Members

Fender American Standard tele or strat. If you shop around, you should be able to get it for a good enough deal to get a small tube combo amp (e.g. Fender Pro Jr. or Blues Jr.) which should provide you with a really nice setup for everything you've mentioned.

• Members

You're new and not sure about a few things... possibly what style you'll like in the long run or even if you continue to enjoy the hobby.

ABOVE ALL OTHER ADVICE, BUY USED.

Buying new guitars is only worthwhile to those who want the guitar enough where they have no ambitions to sell and face the woes of resale in this economy. Obviously, this can't be you. It's also a buyer's market for most gear, so you are in a position to get a much better deal in the used market than you were a couple of years ago.

Specifics on guitar? I would go with a used Gibson SG Faded. They can be had in the $500s without much searching. The finish actually adds playing/tonal advantages over the Heritage cherry ones, and the guitar looks just like their classic counterparts. The SG is made for rock and blues and adds versatility, lighter weight than a LP, and is genre-neutral (I love Vs and there are plenty of judgmental dickheads who prejudge those guitars to be genre specific).

I would then consider what the amp will be doing. If you are just starting out, I would go with a low watt tube amp combo, preferrably one with a single 12" speaker (1x12 combo). Tube amps give you a warmer tone for rock and blues, and tend to have better resale if you buy wisely. Keep the amp wattage low unless you have a great deal on your hands (think 30 watts or less) so that you can get the full use out of it in an apartment or bedroom. My preference is Marshall, and there are many GOOD used Marshall 1x12s that can be had for $500. This gives you $200 for appropriate accessories... strap, picks, instructional resources, and maybe a cheap/used pedal or two. This would be my advice.

• Members

Thanks V-Man, that was a very in depth and helpful answer. And bsman, I am going to be looking for a deal on a standard strat, however I've been having a bit of trouble on that front but I'll still keep looking.

If you can't swing a standard (and yet want a strat) you might want to look at the Highway one. It's sort of Fender's version of the faded Gibsons - a thinner, non-glossy finish and that should be obtainable for $700 with NO discount, leaving more $$ for amps, pedals, strings, and all the other fun toys that make electrics so darned great! Of course - if you prefer the look and feel of Gibsons, V-man is right, the faded SG is a good choice. I might also recommend one of the small, digital recorders (e.g. Tascam DR-7, Zoom H2, etc.) for two bills or less. I have found them invaluable as practice aids.

• Members

Thanks V-Man, that was a very in depth and helpful answer. And bsman, I am going to be looking for a deal on a standard strat, however I've been having a bit of trouble on that front but I'll still keep looking.

My pleasure, man.

Some may suggest a fender Strat or Tele, both of which are different animals from the Gibson Humbucker guitars (SG, LP, etc). I would consider some of the music you enjoy most (foresee you may like playing most) and consider what they are playing. Strats, and buckers in particular have roots in the genres you are looking at but they offer different tones. Consider the same for amps. An informed consumer is a happy one. Pick whatever works best for your ambitions and tastes, but again, consider the used market above all else. There is a minimal drop in value from the second owner to the third, and you have the ability to get so much more with a few dings and scratches to show for it.

• Members

for amps maybe you would want to look at the vox valvetronix series, specifically the VT15. They go for 120-150 used. Small, bedroom wattage amp, one real tube in it, but the rest is solid state. Plus they have amp modeling. As for a guitar... Well, im partial to tele's myself. I'd look on ebay or craigslist for a older Ibanez guitar.

• Members

I am probably going to look more towards Strats since most of my favorite players are strat users, although SGs are worth a look as well. I appreciate all your help, and I'll definitely try something like Craigslist for used deals and whatnot, I didn't realize that it was such a good idea to go used.

• Members

First off, I'm sorry if people ask for suggestions like this a lot and you guys are tired of it. But anyway, I am going to be buying my first electric guitar and amp soon, and need some direction on what to buy. I know its a lot to spend on a first, but I have had an acoustic for a few months and am truly interested in pursuing this so I figure spending more gives me a guitar I can grow into and ultimately better resale value. I plan to play Rock, Funk, Blues, maybe some Jazz, but no metal, so distortion is not a priority. I'm not particularly interested in Les Pauls, but I'm open to anything else, including other Gibson/Epiphone. If I didn't include something important let me know, and thanks for your time and help.

I don't mean to sound negative but, if you're just starting out, chances are you're probably going to spend the money "wrong". By that I mean - when you settle into your own style and sound a few years down the road, and get a bit more experience playing some different instruments, you might realize that something else makes more sense. I know that happened to me. And after dropping $1200 on a new guitar, I ended up wanting to sell it a few years later and could only get $550 for it.

So at the very least, I would say try to find a nice mint used guitar so you don't take that hit. But really, the amplifier is just as big if not bigger of a concern than the guitar. Good guitar + cheap amp = bad, a cheap guitar + good amp can be pretty decent. Just get something nice and playable and spend more on the amp if you want to drop some money.

But really, spend less now, develop your sound and style, and get something when you know what you want better. The forum will help you learn about guitars and deals you didn't know about. But it won't tell you what kind of guitar YOU want.

• Members

Any suggestions that would include a twin hum, set neck, 25.5 scale? Would prefer US made and fixed bridge.

I've been so close to pulling the trigger on one of those faded Gibsons, but would prefer the larger scale.

A Gibson faded gives you everything you're asking for but the scale. You aren't likely to get US made twin bucker on anything else for anything near that price. Even some oddball "priced to sell" 25.5" scale is as likely to have a Floyd, or :rolleyes: a licensed Floyd on it. If the 24.75" scale is a dealbreaker, you're probably going to have to compromise on one or more of your other criteria.

• Members

Any suggestions that would include a twin hum, set neck, 25.5 scale? Would prefer US made and fixed bridge.

I've been so close to pulling the trigger on one of those faded Gibsons, but would prefer the larger scale.

twin humbucker, small company affordable boutique instrument made in the USA, 25 and 1/2 scale length, fixed bridge

http://elderly.com/vintage/items/30U-14745.htm

http://elderly.com/vintage/items/30U-15853.htm

http://elderly.com/vintage/items/30U-15456.htm

http://elderly.com/new_instruments/names/gadow-american-classic-guitar-with-gigbag--GACL-CBLU.htm

• Members

or not..... see my post
;)

I like the fact it's a small US-made company, but for the price of EITHER of those used, you can buy TWO fadeds in the used market (Yes, I have seen multiple examples of fadeds in the $400s). I am also not a fan of the bolt-ons... not from a tonal perspective, but from the aesthetics/cost-cutting perspective. Yours is certainly a viable alternative within the $1,200 mark but the question turns to whether it's worth paying twice the price for the scale length alone.

• Members

You're new and not sure about a few things... possibly what style you'll like in the long run or even if you continue to enjoy the hobby.

ABOVE ALL OTHER ADVICE, BUY USED.

Buying new guitars is only worthwhile to those who want the guitar enough where they have no ambitions to sell and face the woes of resale in this economy. Obviously, this can't be you. It's also a buyer's market for most gear, so you are in a position to get a much better deal in the used market than you were a couple of years ago.

I'm gonna agree with this. Especially if its you're first guitar, chances are you're not going to know what you really want/looking for in a setup.

Remember...if you buy it at a used price, you can sell it at a used price (and sometimes more if you find a bargain). I've been able to pick up great deals on craigslist/kijiji over the past year.

• Members

I like the fact it's a small US-made company, but for the price of EITHER of those used, you can buy TWO fadeds in the used market (Yes, I have seen multiple examples of fadeds in the $400s). I am also not a fan of the bolt-ons... not from a tonal perspective, but from the aesthetics/cost-cutting perspective. Yours is certainly a viable alternative within the $1,200 mark but the question turns to whether it's worth paying twice the price for the scale length alone.

theres quite a difference between a bottom of the line gibson and an underpriced quality boutique guitar

I can guarantee you that for $400 used, you arent getting the pick of the litter either.....

as far as the bolt-ons go.... I would take a solid bolt on compared to the questionable wobbly neckjoint most gibsons have

Archived