Duncan JB vs. EMG85 on bridge of my Jackson?

Vinchester

• Members

So I have a set of 81/85 in my Schecter and love it. Recently I got a Jackson Rhoads (Alder body, maple neck) and found it to be kinda trebly, so I'm thinking the 85 might help.

The Jackson RR3 has Duncan JB/Jazz in bridge and neck pos. respectively.

Should I put the 85 into the RR's bridge? and then JB into the Schecter's neck? Well I don't really care what pup goes to the neck because I rarely use them.

Also, I mainly play the Jackson in Standard E or Eb, so I don't think I need a 81 in there more than my C-standard-tuned Schecter.

Does anyone have the experience with this? Jackson alder Rhoads with a EMG85 in bridge pos.? Thanks!

IMG_4004.jpg

...On second thought, I'm not sure whether the small cavity in my RR would even have room for batteries :/ (I'd like the 18v mod too)

• Members

There's still more to mixing EMGs and passives than just soldering in a pickup.

On the guitar with EMGs currently in it, to add a passive, you'd need to get 250k or 500k pots for the passive pickup.

For the guitar that has passives right now, you'd need to get 25k pots, the battery harness and the EMG output jack.

To me, it's too much work. I'd leave the EMG guitar alone if you dig it and probably get a Duncan Custom 5 if you want a balanced pickup or a Tone Zone if you want a thick sounding pickup. Remember if you mix Duncans and Dimarzios, their color coding is different. You need to flip the hot and ground on the Dimarzio or else the neck+middle position will sound really, REALLY thin.

My vote is for a Custom 5. Great all around pickup. Cleans up great for clean playing whereas the JB always sounds too aggressive to me for cleans. the Custom 5 can cover classic rock and into modern-ish metal lead. Might fall kinda short on the heaviest chugga chugga rhythm stuff and if that's your thing, I'd lean towards the Tone Zone or a Norton.

• Members

Id say leave the pups in ther schecter as is since you love em there. And instead get either an EMG H4 bridge pup for the Jackson. It'll give darker tone and wont cause problems of mixing active and passive pups. A EMG H1 if you prefer maximum crunch and dont need as much drive as the H4 would have.

• Members

Thanks guys, I'll keep those recoms in mind.

-the thing with EMG85 is that I RARELY use it in the Schecter. (mostly I just use the 81 on the bridge) so I thought it could find another home.

-The issue of different pots for active/passive is new to me, I don't even know they're there lol! this does seem to be quite a lot of work. Anyway I'm going to ask the local shop about this (if it's viable, they can get the job done dirt cheap)

EDITED :

- ok, I kinda give up on this considering so many new stuffs to accommodate the EMG and the overpowering issue. I'll defo look into changing to 250k pots!

here's some interesting info I found;

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/pickups/37674-pups-active-passive-same-guitar.html

Archived