Dudes with dings in your guitars...

Symmetry2170

• Members

These were not the responses I was expecting, quite the opposite actually and i'm pleasantly surprised.. Thanks a lot guys, it definitely helps, especially for being someone who babied their instruments and treated them like collectors pieces. I still like to take care of them (cleaning, polish, etc every couple months) but I'm no where near what I used to be. In playing 10 years or so these are the first two dings on any of my guitars, so it was a shock but thanks to you guys I'm gettin' through it.

Damaged Guitar Rehab, FTW. haha

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Once inadvertently put a huge ding in my new bass guitar.. Forgot I had it on my bed and tossed my keys from the hallway into my unlit room and BAAMMMM!! I heard the strings when the keys hit... total facepalm on that one..

If ur guitar doesnt have dings, u need to play more!lol

• Members

As long as the guitar plays great and sounds great I could not care less what happens to it cosmetically. Not that I'm intentionally "relicing" my guitars or anything like that but as a guitar is played and gigged it is certain going to get a few battle scars. I don't mind them a bit. Dings happen.

• Members

I can relate. I have a beautiful transparent finish Gibson Les Paul that, unlike some of my other guitars, I always keep in the case and baby it. One time I put it in the shop for some work and when I got it back there was a major dent in the top and some scratches near the bridge. When I asked the tech about it, he claimed that it was like that when I brought it in and denied any responsibility. Since I couldn't prove it I had no recourse other than to not patronize that shop any more. But it sure pissed me off at the time.

• Members

I don't cope w it. I LOVE it.

I play my guitars. My Mason has been through 30 plus shows and it's got dings, scraps, scratches... I LOVE that guitar and I've never polished it once. It's like it's broken in now. The maple fretboard has already got lots of grayed out areas from all the play. That's the way it's supposed to be. It's broken in :cool:

• Members

I installed strap locks on it tonight and used some loctite and gorilla glue on the screws to insure that they stay in the wood and i used too much on the front button and glue got on the body of the guitar, thought i wiped it off but i didn't and now i have a dried mixture of loctite and gorilla glue on my guitar. needlessly to say i'm pretty {censored}ing angry at myself right now.

any tips on how to cover it up? get rid of it? i know there's no solvent for gorilla glue. what can i do?

• Members

here's a guitar that i gigged with forever before semi-retiring it to studio work. all the wear is from honest playing and not caring too much about playing her rough and putting her away wet. there's probably 90-100 shows on this mule.

WEB_89LPCustom-001.jpg

WEB_89LPCustom-002.jpg

WEB_89LPCustom-005.jpg

WEB_89LPCustom-006.jpg

WEB_89LPCustom-008.jpg

WEB_89LPCustom-009.jpg

WEB_89LPCustom-010.jpg

WEB_89LPCustom-014.jpg

WEB_89LPCustom-016.jpg

WEB_89LPCustom-024.jpg

• Members

When my uncle brought home a new truck a few years back, my aunt told him that it was so beautiful, that it'd be a shame to get it scratched. He walked into the garage, came out with the biggest wrench he had, and threw it as hard as he could into the bed. It bounced around for a while, leaving all kinds of dings and scrapes. He looked at my aunt and said, "it's a truck."

• Members

I view them as battle scars. My The Heritage 170CM is about 24 years old so it has its share of scratched and bumps. I find it funny when people freak out about a guitar getting a wittle booboo. It is a tool for making music. Show me any useful tool that does not take damage or wear.Keep playing the guitar with a easy mind knowing you popped the cherry on the finish and it will get more bruises and bumps down the road. But, if you are really freaked over it there are ways to remove dings and dents.

• Members

ITS JUST STUFF.

You can't take it with you. Save depression, anger, sadness for things that matter. Be happy you have a guitar, especially a nice one, theres a lot of people out there who wish they could afford one and wouldn't care if it had a few dings on it.

• Members

This is a McInturff Empress. It sold for $3000+ new. It has scratches, buckle wear, a couple nice-sized dings and a huge wear spot from where the fingerpicker who first owned it rested his third & fourth. This doesn't mean it was neglected or abused. This means it's a goddamn great guitar that someone obviously loved to play.

empress.jpg

Archived