Help with Drop C

Shamdog

• Members

Ok, so my buddy turms me onto this band from Australia nammed Mammal. They're freeaking awesome.

I really dig two songs and want to play them. At least one is in Drop C tuning as per this tab at UG.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/m/mammal/the_majority_tab.htm

I want to know if this can be transposed to standard tuning? Also, to anyone playing in drop C, how do you keep your strings from rattling with them that loose?

BTW - these two songs rock so hard. The Aural Underground and The Majority. You could probably hear them here:

www.myspace.com/mammaltheband

I'm at work and can't tell if they have clips/downloads there. :facepalm:

• Members

i play in drop c and use ernie ball hybrids. so theyre prettty loose but i like it. i can bend like a mo fo. as for transposing into standerd i assume that you wouldn't get all the low c's like in drop c.. u could try playing in drop d and play the same tab but it won't sound exactly the same as c.

• Members

You can play it in standard, yes, but it would obviously be an octave or so higher. And, as for the string gauge - just get higher gauge strings. I have Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottoms on my guitar right now, and they can do Drop C pretty well.

The higher the string gauge, the lower the tuning you can go - you won't be doing Drop C if you play 8s :thu:

• Members

Thanks, guys. I was just trying to avoid having one guitar that I would only use for two songs. I play mostly classic rock - maybe some Green Day if I'm feeling crazy ;). But, I just dig these songs so much...

Oh, BTW. Does the bass tune down, too? Does he need different strings?

• Members

Thanks, guys. I was just trying to avoid having one guitar that I would only use for two songs. I play mostly classic rock - maybe some Green Day if I'm feeling crazy
;)
. But, I just dig these songs so much...

Oh, BTW. Does the bass tune down, too? Does he need different strings?

There are plenty of songs out there in drog C, or at least D standard (which drop C is, with the lowest string dropped to be an octave of the 3rd string, just like standard tuning to drop D). Couldn't hurt to play around with.

Yes, the bass tunes down. Cgcf for bass, Cgcfad for guitar. It's standard tuning a full step (2 frets) down, and then the lowest string another full step down.

Archived