New Tele Partscaster Build

Norcal_GIT_r

• Members

I built up a new tele yesterday. I used the neck and other parts from a Squier CV tele and a pair of new proto BG Pups pickups and a GFS Body.

I modifyed the neck by removing the gloss to the back of the neck and the fretboard. It now feels super smooth and not sticky at all.

The guitar has a new rail pickup and an A3 rock wind neck pup that I've been working on. I added the 4way switch mod.

Overall the build went quite smooth. I did have to modify the body slightly as the bridge pickup route was too tight to hold a pickup and the control route needed to be deepened to fit an Oak Grigsby 4way switch. Overall the body is crazy light weight. And very soft. The guitar as a whole probably wieghs 6lbs at the most. It's quite comfy to play and resonates very well. Overall I like the tone. It's a little brighter than the stock pine body.

Here's a few photos and a video of the guitar.

t1.jpg

Is that Mazi Bee's old guitar on the right with the P-90's??

• Members

Thanks Damon..Congrats on your new guitar.

Thanks Doc, looking forward to your build.
:thu:

Thanks man. The other tele is a Eagle Tele. It's a swedish company. I got the guitar from Mazi Bee. It's really a cool guitar. Has great feel and I made some jazzmaster styled pickups for it and added some Schaller locking tuners and she's a ripper.

You are a bad influence..You're also the reason I have 2 CV teles.
:eek:
Thats where that parts for this build came from.

It sure is.

I thought it looked familiar! There can't be too many of those around...:o

I blame my CV acquistion on my younger brother who contacted me for suggestions on a tele. He ending up getting a used MIM top loader tele off of ebay. I ended with with CV GAS!

• Members

I thought it looked familiar! There can't be too many of those around...
:o

I blame my CV acquistion on my younger brother who contacted me for suggestions on a tele. He ending up getting a used MIM top loader tele off of ebay. I ended with with CV GAS!

To me the CVs are almost perfect. If it wasn't for the weight they would be.:thu:

• Members

To me the CVs are almost perfect. If it wasn't for the weight they would be.

Apparently, there are some serious inconsistent in the weight of the CV's. I picked one up at the local GC and it was pretty light. I saw one of the bodies for sale on ebay and it was listed at 6.75 lbs! :confused:

• Members

Thanks bro..Too bad they cant get the orders straight..Oh well.

I always seem to get some sort of weirdness with GF orders.

:idk:

I routed out the neck for a humbucker and I am putting a coil switch and some active electronics in mine with a 6 saddle bridge.

I can just barely fit everything and a battery in the control cavity.

• Members

I always seem to get some sort of weirdness with GF orders.

:idk:

I routed out the neck for a humbucker and I am putting a coil switch and some active electronics in mine with a 6 saddle bridge.

I can just barely fit everything and a battery in the control cavity.

I was really hoping Jay would have seen I ordered from him and make sure my order was correct. I do that for all of my customers not just other business owners.

Your build sounds cool. Post it as you do it.:thu:

• Members

Ever consider a push push switch? I find them much easier to use while playing.

Yea, that is what I am using for the tone control for the active electronics. The battery just barely fits under the existing volume pot. Not sure if I could put a deeper pot there.

I am about to go to radio shack to look for a spdt that is hopefuly small enough to fit on the control plate.

• Members

To me the CVs are almost perfect. If it wasn't for the weight they would be.

I'm oddly glad to hear that. I tried one last week and was surprised at the weight of the thing, seemingly much too heavy for pine.

What's the body made of (obviously the top is maple or a maple veneer)? Where did you get it?

• Members

I'm oddly glad to hear that. I tried one last week and was surprised at the weight of the thing, seemingly much too heavy for pine.

What's the body made of (obviously the top is maple or a maple veneer)? Where did you get it?

I don't know why the pine is so heavy. I'm thinking about dropping one of the sugarpines on my property and have some of it dried out for some bodies.

The new body is maple veneer on pauliowina. I don't really know anything about the wood. It does sound pretty good but I suspect it's just balsa wood under another name. It's very lite and soft. It reminds me of the wood we used to make model airplanes with as a kid.

All in all I like it and it was well worth the dough I spent on it.

I got it from the GFS website for $60.00.

Archived