Does anyone else know a guitar player who changes guitars like underwear?

Invader.CC

• Members

GE Smith?

The other guitar player in my former band was like that, not only with guitars but with amps as well and pedals.

He had a different setup each week. It was impossible to work on a sound because of that and because he never mastered his setups, he was feedbacking most of the time...

• Members

Flipping gear like that seems like a silly hobby, but I guess he could be doing something more costly and self-destructive. I personally would get bored of flipping cheap guitars real fast, but that's me. It sounds like he's only blowing a couple hundred a month, so I don't really see a big problem if it isn't directly affecting his family.

• Members

I could NEVER understand how neurotics like this guy with severely impulsive behavior, and not a nickel to spare get hot chicks to marry and bear them children.....
:confused:

You mean you haven't figured it out yet?:eek:

"Speak softly and carry a big stick"

- Theodore Roosevelt

• Members

There is something lacking in his life. He's trying to fill that gap with gear.

I did it for a while. It was a discovery phase for me. I experimented with a lot of different gear until I found what was right for me. I'm past that now.

Therapy might be a good start for him.

• Members

I also must say that the most expensive guitar he ever bought was a road worn Strat or a HWY 1...So it's not high dollar gear that he is buying and selling...

Maybe that's his problem? He keeps buying trash that no one would be satisfied with?

• Members

I have a very close friend his name is Rudy he is a 35 year veteran guitar player and is extremely talented but always broke...He has a very attractive much younger wife an 3 small children .So he never has much cash to spare.But he goes through guitars faster than anyone i have ever seen.I'm not exaggerating one bit when i say he goes through at least two guitars a week and never since i have known him (almost 5 years ) has never kept a guitar longer than 3 or 4 weeks..

He even managed to get banned from Guitar center for buying guitars and bring them back to many times..The thing is he always upgrades the guitars before selling them for a major loss or taking them back either by having a pro setup and intonation /fret job done or upgrading pickups..

Not long ago i traded a guy some speaker for a Epiphone SG400..I then sold it to Rudy for a very good price of $225 only to have him sell it to me again 3 days later for $150 ..His asking price not mine..

This week since last Friday he has gone from a Laguna something or another to a MIM strat that he has now sold for a $50 dollar loss to the same pawn shop he bought it from ...He now has a squire Telecaster..
:facepalm:

Does anyone else know someone like this?

Maybe he just likes fixing them up and selling,kinda like a game and he doesnt care if he makes money??or.....has a serious addiction to a toxic substance!

• Members

This is were the story gets even better he owns a one person company that paints addresses on the curb in front of your home for like $15 bucks

lol wat

At the height of my GAS i was buying a new guitar whenever I could afford it. At first I was getting ones i wanted, then it soon became a habit. Im past that now as im pretty happy with the gear I have (plus some stuff doesnt get played at all, which is a damn shame). I still got my eye out for the next one tho, i just feel the urge to get it :facepalm: