Buying Dynasonics style?

Ratae Corieltauvorum

• Members

has anybody git any Dynasonics they wanna sell or can anyone tell me who is making a Dynasonic stylee pickup?

I'm fed up with almost sorting deals with Gretsch owbers only for them to pull out the sale, I'm gonna build a {censored}er:mad:

TV Jones just announced some but there's no price yet.

http://www.tvjones.com/pickups/pickups_t_armond.html

They got the Billy Zoom seal of approval over at TGP and since his sig model uses the $225 (each) Seymour Duncans instead of Gretsch I consider that promising.

And they're doing them in a soapbar size which opens up a lot of possibilities.

Otherwise GFS NYII I guess but I'd wait on the TV Jones before deciding.

• Moderators

http://www.tvjones.com/pickups/pickups_t_armond.html

They got the Billy Zoom seal of approval over at TGP and since his sig model uses the $225 (each) Seymour Duncans instead of Gretsch I consider that promising.

Excellent tip!! I've applied for info and pricing, better get the woodshop warm:)

• Members

I can't afford anything with DynaSonics and haven't played them, but reportedly DeArmond 2000 (not to be confused with 2K's which look the same but are voiced like P-90's) pickups will get you in the DynaSonic ballpark, and look like Dyna's. I have them in an Electromatic Special Jet I picked up for $235 on fleabay.

94152145_373b9f3161.jpg

I don't think Fender sells them separately but maybe you could find someone who's yanked them in favor of the real deal.

• Moderators

I have them in an Electromatic Special Jet I picked up for $235 on fleabay.

94152145_373b9f3161.jpg

I don't think Fender sells them separately but maybe you could find someone who's yanked them in favor of the real deal.

Yes, I have found a set, should be around $200 for the pair, which will be a tad cheaper than the TVJs, although maybe the TVJs would be worth the extra few quid.

I keep missing out on those Special Jets BK, ever since you flagged yours, missed three now due to crazy bidding on the 'Bay

• Members

If you look carefully on ebay, they can be had for around $85 a pop. The only people who make them are Gretsch and Seymour Duncan. TV Jones expects to have some new ones this spring, but he has run late on new products in the past, so who knows when they'll be coming.

The newer ones are not as hot as the vintage DeArmond ones. The Seymours are very close to a vintage Dyna.

Nothing sounds like them. Nothing has ever been made like them. They are truly unique. I dig the {censored} out of them, myself.

These end soon and are miss-labeled. These are the Seymour Duncan custom shop Dynas. I would bid, but I just landed another 60's Corvette, so I'm broke.

This is how I make do for now...

DSCN9201c.jpg

• Members

Blimey that's a pretty big DC resistance ain't it?

Yup, it is. It's also typical of a vintage Dyna. But as you are aware, DC resistance isn't really a measure of how "hot" a pup will sound. It's just a measure of how much wire there is.

Go figure, two of my absoulte favorite pups....the single coil Dyna at around 12k and up (new ones)...and the single coil Hi-Lo Tron usually weighing in at a paltry 3k.:lol:

But don't let that 3k fool you....they can be a downright gritty, nasty, gnarly pickup. BlackCat got a vintage `vette recently with Hi-Los. Ask him what he thinks of them compared to his Filtetrons.

• Moderators

Yup, it is. It's also typical of a vintage Dyna. But as you are aware, DC resistance isn't really a measure of how "hot" a pup will sound. It's just a measure of how much wire there is.

As long as they are typical, thats fine with me.

This vid sold the Dynasonic sound to me, and many people say they are like schizo P90s, which sounds right up my street;)

[YOUTUBE]-xVzm9qrlqo[/YOUTUBE]

PhilX is really growing on me:lol:

• Members

I really have a love/hate relationship with that guy. Somtimes he's WAY over the top, but the dude can play and he almost always inspires me one way the other, either to learn a song I hadn't thought about in a while or to consider buying something I normally wouldn't go for.

• Members

that dynasonic in the soapbar package looks awesome!

Archived