Happy NGD to me! Xaviere XV-610 *Pic Heavy*

Olympus

• Members

Happy NGD to me! I finally got in my new Xaviere XV-610. It's obviously a "thinline tele" style. This guitar has the Dream 180 pickups from GFS. I wanted a Tele style guitar and I wanted something a little different from the two single coil, twangy sounds. Boy did I pick a doosie!

P1210054.jpg

P1210055.jpg

P1210056.jpg

P1210058.jpg

P1210059.jpg

P1210060.jpg

P1210062.jpg

P1210063.jpg

P1210065.jpg

P1210066.jpg

• Members

The blackout one has a flat black pickguard. I emailed Jay about availability of the pickguards. (I kinda wanted the pearl one) He said they would be posted that next week. If they are I cant find them.The finish on the neck is nice not thick at all. The flat radius is a little odd to me. It feels almost concave to me. I have a XV700 and really like the neck on it. The Blackout XV 610 was a present for my son. I am thinking about installing some push pull pots so he can do the split coil thing. Trying to decide whether to go with 250 ohm. It comes with 500 ohm, seems a little bright to me.

• Members

Sorry everybody, I've been MIA. Actually not MIA, I just forgot to subscribe to my own thread. I posted this on several forums and I had forgot that I posted pictures here. I'll try to give a good wrap-up of the guitar, pros and cons.

From first opening it in the package, it was shipped very well. When I first took the wrapping off, I couldn't believe how beautiful it looked! The pictures I posted here just don't do the finish justice. It looks like it's dripping wet in person. I went over it with a fine tooth comb and I hate to say it's flawless, but I haven't been able to find one yet. The chrome hardware against the gloss red is fantastic! One very minor con, for me personally at least, is that I'd prefer a little more pearly look to the pearloid pickguard. It still looks good though, just could be better with a more pearly look.

The neck is totally satin. It's the 610 model, so all of them have a satin neck. I believe the 620 is the model that has the tinted and high gloss neck. Feel of the neck is very smooth and fast. Frets are nice and smooth on the edges. Another very minor con is the frets could use a polish. The neck is not as think as Fenders or Squiers. It fits my small hands and short fingers better though.

I gave the tuners a good inspection because tuners seem to be the first place that budget guitars cut corners. These tuners don't appear to be that way. They're very smooth turning, no feeling the gears. I've been playing it for a few weeks now and it will hold a tune for about 2 weeks. I think they will be more than sufficient.

The Dream 180 pickups are different creatures all together. Not what I was expecting, but I'm definitely pleased with them. They have a kind of "spanky" sound to them. Not very twangy like a typical tele. I would describe them as more of a vintage/tweed sound. They are very warm and mellow sounding. They really show their worth playing some blues and rock. Add a little gain and they have a very aggressive growl to them. Hard to think such an aggressive sound can come from a sweet looking guitar.

• Members

I guess my biggest con about the guitar is that it doesn't balance well. This may be because of the thinline style body being lighter than a solid body. I've never owned a thinline so this may be common. But the neck wants to dip quite a bit. I like my neck to be up at an angle when I play standing up. I bought an extra wide leather strap with suede backing and it helps a lot.

Truth be told, if GFS hiked the price up on this guitar by another $100, I'd happily buy another one still.

• Members

I guess my biggest con about the guitar is that it doesn't balance well. This may be because of the thinline style body being lighter than a solid body. I've never owned a thinline so this may be common. But the neck wants to dip quite a bit. I like my neck to be up at an angle when I play standing up. I bought an extra wide leather strap with suede backing and it helps a lot.

Truth be told, if GFS hiked the price up on this guitar by another $100, I'd happily buy another one still.

I have that identical model/color - I just added wilkinson locking tuners and stainless saddles.

I LOVE the way this guitar balances - the center of gravity is almost the exact center of the guitar, so it stays perfectly perpendicular to me when I'm holding it and doesn't move unless I move it.

I also love the way it cuts through a mix. You will not be able to hide in the mix with this thing - it's very articulate, and although it doesn't quite "twang" is sure does kerrrrang and shimmer.

• Members

When I play standing up, I like the neck to be at about a 45 degree angle to my body. So when the neck wants to drop to a 90 degree angle, I feel like I'm having to support the neck with my arm and shoulder. I like my guitars to stay where I put them when I strap up. But since I got the extra wide strap, it really helps alot.

But I know what you mean about the sound. You can look at it and expect to hear a tele sound, but it gives you something totally different.

Archived