Favorite bassist / guitarist pairs

Phait

• Members

The DeLeo brothers are my first fav (Dean on guitar, Robert on bass). They also worked in Army of Anyone with Richard Patrick of Filter.

I like that I can actually hear Robert's bass and how it works in the song, most other band's songs it's not as prominent, it seems.

Yeah, I agree. Clever parts, melodic but don't get in the way, interesting tones, great timing - and a real "bass player". Robert DeLeo would be my second or third pick in My Ultimate Band Wish List.

• Moderators

Bernard Edwards and Nile Rogers (Chic)

John McVie and Peter Green (Fleetwood Mac)

Good picks. I'll up the ante with McVie and Buckingham as well.

When I first read this thread title I drafted up a response then deleted it. The reason? I don't tend to think in terms of guitar/bass pairings. I agree with Phait on the Bros from STP. They do interplay in a very cool way. The bassist is way under appreciated.

But I look at the drummer as the likely partner in crime when it comes to small combo pairings. So the concept of guitar/bass... interesting.

Dusty Hill / Billy Gibbons

Hill has been backing Gibbons for so long they have become one. Dusty's distorted bass chording is such an identifiable ingredient to the Gibbons sound.

Stanley Clark / Al DiMeola

That thing they did back in the 70's during the electric Corea years was heavy,man. And Anthony Jackson on the Dimeola solo stuff from that era as well.

Jon Brion / Jon Brion

I love whenever he decides to play the bass and guitar on a track he's producing for an artist. Some of Amiee Mann and Rhett Miller's stuff comes to mind here.

• Members

One of my favorite (and more underrated) pairs: Keith Richards and Bill Wyman. A lot of the interplay between them wasn't really heard very clearly for years because you couldn't hear the bass very well on their early recordings. Now they've been remastered, and you can. Plus there were some later records where you could really hear what he was doing. He's such an eccentric player, by contrast to Keith's razor sharp clarity. Wyman really almost never played a straight line. Like Townshend and Entwistle, it was almost like the traditional guitar and bass roles switched places, with the guitarist setting more of the rhythmic foundation and the bassist doing a lot of really strange {censored} underneath. :lol: Wyman himself acknowledged this in interviews - he said the Stones are the way they are because he and Charlie followed Keith, not the other way around as usual.

People underestimate how much this contributed to the signature Stones groove. Daryl Jones plays a lot more straightforwardly and I really miss Wyman's weirdness, and the wonderful loose groove that existed between Wyman, Richards and Watts.

• Members

People underestimate how much this contributed to the signature Stones groove. Daryl Jones plays a lot more straightforwardly and I really miss Wyman's weirdness, and the wonderful loose groove that existed between Wyman, Richards and Watts.

I sort of agree, but I think the Stones' elastic groove died long before Wyman left the band. By the time they were touring in support of Tatoo you ('8s or so?) there was no life left in the feel. And when you hear them play, say Honkey Tonk Woman after '77 or so...where's that great groove? Not there.

• Members

I sort of agree, but I think the Stones' elastic groove died long before Wyman left the band. By the time they were touring in support of Tatoo you ('8s or so?) there was no life left in the feel.

I think a lot of that was because Charlie was apparently told that he needed to play straighter and with less swing due to the (then) recent "4 on the floor" trend and subsequent rise of drum machine based music. I'm sure it was Jagger telling him this, but he made a concession to "modern" drumming which I think has really hurt the band. He's not the only drummer who was basically ordered by a frontman to do something like this (especially around that time) and it was a serious bummer to me.

But even so, there are a lot of moments on say Steel Wheels (and the tour in support of it) where you can really hear Wyman and the three of them still forge a mighty groove. It's different from the old one, but still there.

• Members
Willie Weeks and Albert King

Wow... a name from the very distant past. I used to see Willie Weeks when he was the bass player for a couple of my favorite Minnesota bands. He started out there in Michael's Mystics and later joined Gypsy before moving on to LA and becoming a great studio player. I'm having flashbacks to the late '60's/early '70's. ;)

• Members

Army buddies Jimi Hendrix and Billy Cox.

THIS.

Also:

Jimmy Page/John Paul Jones

Josh Homme/Nick Oliveri

The Edge/Adam Clayton

SRV/Tommy Shannon

John Frusciante/Flea

Johnny Greenwood/Colin Greenwood

David Gilmour/Roger Waters

Dave Navarro/Eric Avery

Mike Einziger/Ben Kenney

Ben Harper/Juan Nelson

Jerry Cantrell/Mike Inez

• Members

I think a lot of that was because Charlie was apparently told that he needed to play straighter and with less swing due to the (then) recent "4 on the floor" trend and subsequent rise of drum machine based music. I'm sure it was Jagger telling him this, but he made a concession to "modern" drumming which I think has really hurt the band. He's not the only drummer who was basically ordered by a frontman to do something like this (especially around that time) and it was a serious bummer to me.

But even so, there are a lot of moments on say
Steel Wheels
(and the tour in support of it) where you can really hear Wyman and the three of them still forge a mighty groove. It's different from the old one, but still there.

Ronnie Wood played some cool bass lines on some albums, too.

"Miss" You" and "Emtional Rescue" come to mind.

• Members

One of my favorite (and more underrated) pairs: Keith Richards and Bill Wyman..

Im not sure if they would be interaction: more like 'action/reaction' ("Heres the guitar part; come up with a bass part" :D )....j/k.......but, youre right, and the bassline against the guitar part in the main riff of 'Satisfaction' is a great example

Archived