What Guitar Hero do you think you are better than?

Beckman

• Members
I think Page can be REALLY sloppy, and I've seen some dreadful live clips, but that doessn't take away from what he has achieved.

It's all subjective anyway...you dont have to be better than someone to not like their playing.

:thu:

True. But, the way some people say that they suck. :rolleyes: You don't have to like their style, or songs even. But, once you get to that level. The suck goes out the door. Plus, to me anyway, when people say this they are insinuating they are better. Some one may be better. The next Page, or whoever, may be on this board right now.:thu:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think Page can be REALLY sloppy, and I've seen some dreadful live clips, but that doessn't take away from what he has achieved.

It's all subjective anyway...you dont have to be better than someone to not like their playing.

:thu:

This. Page is most definitely sloppy but it fits the music. Rock n roll is not the same as classical guitar. If page had played with the precision of a classical master, zepellin would never have been what they were. And sloppy or not, some of his stuff is {censored}ing hard to play!!!!! Not to mention the creativity it took for him to come up with it in the first place.

but all that aside, some of his live playing was pretty bad...worse than dreadful.

• Members

Better at what? The question is too general and virtually unanswerable.

As someone earlier mention they might be better at a couple things than someone famous but weaker at other aspects. Most probably wouldn't want to admit it even if they were. Much of this has to do with the fact that because something is famous, that fame some how makes it more respectable. Not every famous guitarist is there because he was the best player. I think that should be obvious.

Look at someone like Mick Mars. I'd bet there were dozens of guys in LA at the time that would have schooled that guy especially given how competitive that scene was. But he was THEIR guy, for whatever reason.

There is A LOT more involved in fame than being talented.

And yeah I agree with most that you don't have to be able to do something better than someone else to know how they measure up. I know talent when I hear it.

• Members

There are some monster players on this board and some of them I suspect are as good as some of the guitar heros. I am personally a big MHUK, Frets99 fan as well as a JKATER (for acoustic) fan and am totally blown away by these guys chops.

But there is a big difference between a really good player and some of the guys being talked about. First off they are global influences whether you like them or not. Secondly often they are masterful song/riff writers. Remember if you play Little wing as well as Jimi you still copied him...how many people are copying you? :poke:

Some of the I'm better than so and so is pure ego nothing else. I mentioned this to an old teacher who remarked that Mark Knopfler was nothing special "oh, how may gold records do you have?"...and I got a new teacher shortly afterwards :D. As soundcreation says there more to being famous than talent there is writing, and how you mesh with the band you are in. I think of Dave Navarro with the Chile Peppers, good guitarist but style didn't fit the band.

And for the record pretty much everyone is better than me but I can tell a really talented guitarist from an adaquate one

• Members

I was recently watching the 2007 crossroads festival DVD. Wide range of talents there. Some guys like Derek trucks, jeff beck, and sonny landreth are totally transcendant players. On the flip side - Robbie Robertson and Jimmie Vaughan could barely put a bend in tune. And frankly, Clapton sounded fantastic, but a ton of that was due to the huge and super tight best of the best band playing behind him. From a playing standpoint, I could have traded solos with him and not be ashamed.

For most player though, it's the influence they had on music, not guitar playing, that made them so popular. And there's certainly technique in the subtleties - many would argue he is not a "technical" player because he doesn't play fast, but you try emulating that vibrato technique and tone!

All the ripping YouTube players in their bedrooms are evidence to this - taste, phrasing, tone, and SONGS make you a hero.

• Members

I was recently watching the 2007 crossroads festival DVD. Wide range of talents there. Some guys like Derek trucks, jeff beck, and sonny landreth are totally transcendant players. On the flip side - Robbie Robertson and Jimmie Vaughan could barely put a bend in tune. And frankly, Clapton sounded fantastic, but a ton of that was due to the huge and super tight best of the best band playing behind him. From a playing standpoint, I could have traded solos with him and not be ashamed.

For most player though, it's the influence they had on music, not guitar playing, that made them so popular. And there's certainly technique in the subtleties - many would argue he is not a "technical" player because he doesn't play fast, but you try emulating that vibrato technique and tone!

All the ripping YouTube players in their bedrooms are evidence to this - taste, phrasing, tone, and SONGS make you a hero.

Yeah this makes sense. I'll take your word on your abilities as I have never heard you but I'd bet there are a lot of guys here that could easily trade solos with clapton. Now most people here would probably say when watching "oh clapton blew metallica_00 away." But I'd bet if clapton had played your solo and you played his people here would still say "clapton blew metallica_00 away" simply because he is clapton.

Fame is only a small way to judge a player. Most famous guys are there because of a combination of timing, luck, knowing people, having a good attitude, creativity and talent. Each of these categories being totally flexible for every different famous player....some more talent...some more luck...etc..