Played the fattest neck I've ever seen and LOVED it!

jakkim

• Members

There was a custom shop Fender Telecaster, I think it was a 51 or something (was not a 52) all reliced sitting in the corner of their private high end room so I picked it up and WOW. I've heard the term baseball bat thrown around but this thing was more like a log cut in half.

This neck had the nicest, fattest profile I have ever felt and I was instantly in love. I have a few super cheap SX copies that are supposed to have fat necks but they have nothing on this tele I played. Does Fender, or anyone else, use this neck on any other models? I like the feel of the neck so much but don't dig the vintage frets and 7.5 radius. I can't remember the exact model either but it was fantastic. I may have to take a look at some Warmoth options as I know they make some fat necks.

• Members

I've played one of those 1" All Parts neck and it did feel pretty damn fat. I've played a few vintage Fenders that had close to that big of a neck, but not very many. The Jeff Beck strat has a big ole neck and the Baja Tele and the Eric Clapton strats have the V neck which is thick-ish, but nowhere near 1". I'm sure there are few Custom Shop models with the big neck, but I haven't played any other than the Jeff Beck.

USACG, Warmoth and All Parts make a 1" thick neck.

• Members

Once you go bat... You never go back.

lmao

nice line. This is true, I think more with age too...

I used to think the ibanez wizards were where it was at but over the past five years or so I have been settling on the fatter strat/tele profile as a sweet spot. I could never imagine playing a gibson bat back in the day but now it may just be the next step.

Archived