I think I've decided on my first guitar(s)

toyloy

• Members

Um why not buy one nicer guitar and a better amp, instead of spending money on two guitars?

I just thought that I might enjoy the versatility of two guitars. The amps that I mentioned are decent modeling/practice amps for a beginner no?

• Members

Stick to 1 guitar. Of the ones you listed, I'd buy the AL.

As for the amp... the Tech 21s are solid, but I'd go for a Vox VT (15 or 30 watt.. whichever you can afford). You'll get a lot of good sounds that will help you decide what kind of amp is your favorite and you'll even get to play around with some basic effects.

The Agile AL2000 + a Vox VT would be a really solid setup to start with. Really.

• Members

I just thought that I might enjoy the versatility of two guitars.

First off, but no offense when you first start playing you aren't gonna be good, so versatility won't really do you any good. Mediocre playing is gonna sound the same no matter what you play it on, just sayin. The amps are decent, and I'd reccomend the Fender Super Champ XD or the Vibro Champ XD. Both are really nice amps for not a lot of coin

• Members

First off, but no offense when you first start playing you aren't gonna be good, so versatility won't really do you any good. Mediocre playing is gonna sound the same no matter what you play it on, just sayin. The amps are decent, and I'd reccomend the Fender Super Champ XD or the Vibro Champ XD. Both are really nice amps for not a lot of coin

OK. Should I take the extra money, and upgrade to an AL-3000 then? I have the money, it's not really an issue.

• Members

Stick to 1 guitar. Of the ones you listed, I'd buy the AL.

As for the amp... the Tech 21s are solid, but I'd go for a Vox VT (15 or 30 watt.. whichever you can afford). You'll get a lot of good sounds that will help you decide what kind of amp is your favorite and you'll even get to play around with some basic effects.

The Agile AL2000 + a Vox VT would be a really solid setup to start with. Really.

+1

I love my VT30. If you do go Peavey Bandit, you s/b able to pick up a used one cheap. (Less than $100.) I don't think you need to rush into 2 guitars. I do have a AL2000 for sale if you want to save some money. PM me if you are interested.

- w

• Members

Two and a half quick thoughts from another beginner.

1) Don't get one with a Floyd or similar floating trem- it looks like the Douglas has one. You don't need the aggravation right now. Take the whammy bar off for that matter- it just complicates things for us noobs. Pretty guitar though- is there a hardtail version?

2) The 112 is an 80 watt amp. Have you tried this out at a store? It's going to be ear shattering in a house, even with the attenuator. I'd look at a smaller 5W amp- there are a lot of pure tube ones out there in the same price range. If you really want the flexibility of a modeler, pick up a cheap multi-effects unit off of Ebay- you can get a Pod or Digitech unit for less than a nice distortion pedal.

2.5) I was thinking about this the other day-never put your guitar in a case. Get a stand and park it somewhere where you see it a lot. Next to the TV, computer, whatever. They're hard to resist when they are staring at you.

• Members

OK. Should I take the extra money, and upgrade to an AL-3000 then? I have the money, it's not really an issue.

YES!!! the AL3ks are a much more upgraded guitar than the price difference between teh 2k and the 3k. they already come with some superb stuff that really doesn't need any upgrades. and with such a high end guitar, you will be WAY a head of a LOT of people in terms of guitars.

bad thing is that it may spoil you. a few years down the road, if you ever want to buy another guitar, you may struggle finding the same specs of the 3k guitar, at the same price, and build quality. but thats why you buy more agiles :p

i say go for the 3k

and another few amps to throw at you:

Bugera V22 or v15

blackstar

• Members

Not to start an arguement, but a AL-300 is what? Around $400 delivered? You get up around that money there are a lot of nice options out there. Don't get me wrong - I love Agiles.

Honestly, the best advice I can pass on is don't listen to us. Get your butt down to GC, or whatever music stores you have access to, and play as many guitars as you can. Then decide on one or two types that would work for you. Then look used first. Just because something looks good on paper, it does not mean it will be a good guitar for YOU.

BTW - Yes - Bandit can get loud. But if you get in a band you will not need to upgrade. You will keep up with just about any rig. And personaly I have used a 75W Bandit as a practice amp. It is do-able.

Have fun.

- w

• Members

1 guitar, 1 amp. Even if you have the money now, it's not wise to spend it on a better or upgraded version. Since you haven't grown into yourself as a player, you really have no idea what kind of features you will like yet, and as a result will be better served having more money left over to buy a better guitar later when you are in better position to judge. And since you're buying new, if you pick something you don't like down the line, if you sell you're going to take a hit.

Keep it simple. Learn to play, don't turn into a packrat.

• Members

Again - I love that Avatar!!

I've got the AL2000 and the AL3000 and for a new guitar they both are solid. the differences are subtle at first but are noticeable later on.

I love both models

the AL2000 is a no-nonsense player that sounds ok. After some years you may want to upgrade the pickups.

the AL3000 has nice upgrades and if you get a spalted is a beautiful guitar and it has nicer pickups. but if you end up like the rest of us you;ll sawp those out anyways too

I say go with the AL2000 and buy two - what the heck! get the amp and an effects unit too!!

enjoy and welcome!!

• Members

I'd just get the more basic agile and either a Vox Valvetronix or a Peavey Vypyr to start. My vote goes to the Vypyr if you are planning on playing a lot of heavier stuff. Either setup will give you a lot of different sounds for a reasonable price. The thing is you really don't know what you like yet. you may get lucky and get it right the first time, or you may (and probably will) find down the road that you like something totally different than you thought you would. It took me about 2 years messing around with a Spider II 15w, then later almost another year with a Spider III 150w (Not one word from you mother{censored}ers:lol:) before I had half an idea if what I would want in a nicer tube amp. A modeling amp will allow you to find what you like, or some version thereof. The thing with most tube amps is that they all have a certain character. Some may be very versatile, allowing you to do anything from blues to death metal, but in most cases they will have a certain character about them that doesn't really change if that makes sense because the sounds are not digitally modeled. One could use the argument that you can get a good clean amp and use pedals in front of it. Thats true, but then you have to go out and get the pedals, and by the time you buy all the pedals to give you the options a modeling amp would, you would be into an incredible amount of cash. I got lucky with the guitar, which was my RG thats in my sig. It may have {censored}ty pickups, but I still love the feel of it. Sometimes though there are certain guitars that no matter how much you think you should love them or even really want to, they just don't work for you. It may happen spontaneously or after you play something else that works better for you.

• Members

I'd just get the more basic agile and either a Vox Valvetronix or a Peavey Vypyr to start. My vote goes to the Vypyr if you are planning on playing a lot of heavier stuff. Either setup will give you a lot of different sounds for a reasonable price. The thing is you really don't know what you like yet. you may get lucky and get it right the first time, or you may (and probably will) find down the road that you like something totally different than you thought you would. It took me about 2 years messing around with a Spider II 15w, then later almost another year with a Spider III 150w (Not one word from you mother{censored}ers:lol:) before I had half an idea if what I would want in a nicer tube amp. A modeling amp will allow you to find what you like, or some version thereof. The thing with most tube amps is that they all have a certain character. Some may be very versatile, allowing you to do anything from blues to death metal, but in most cases they will have a certain character about them that doesn't really change if that makes sense because the sounds are not digitally modeled. I got lucky with the guitar, which was my RG thats in my sig. It may have {censored}ty pickups, but I still love the feel of it. Sometimes though there are certain guitars that no matter how much you think you should love them or even really want to, they just don't work for you. It may happen spontaneously or after you play something else that works better for you.

Thanks for the advice. I'm a big Gonzaga fan, I see you're from Spokane. I guess the amp I choose should have a significant number of models? I guess I need a headphone out.

• Members

No problem, man. And Ironically ive never been to a bulldogs game.:lol: The valvetronix and the vypyr both have a lot of built in models. Some better than others IMO. I'm not gonna lie to you the models definitely sound like imitations because they are, but the idea isn't to get a perfect tone, but instead several acceptable ones for you to weed out and decide what you like and don't care for. Now (I'm not sure why I didn't think of this originally) if you wanted to have sort of a modeling amp on roids you could do something like the Fender Super Champ that some other mentioned or a used Blues Jr. and throw a Line 6 POD in front of it. That would give you A TON of options to play with and allow you to have a true tube amp. It would be more expensive than the all in one modeling amps though. What you would basically be doing with that is making your own cheaper, lower watter version of a Spider Valve, which is basically a Tube power amp with a POD where the pre-amp normally would be.

• Members

When I was searching for a small, versatile practice amp, I listened to a LOT of people on this forum and checked out the Vox Valvetronix series of amps. Although they had a lot of different sounds on tap, I felt they sounded cold and lifeless. I tried the Tech 21 TM30 next, and it was in a whole different league. The Tech 21 was so much warmer and responsive. It pulls of a very convincing Marshall, Mesa, or Fender tone. I think it out Marshalls genuine Marshall SS practice amps. The Tech 21 isn't cheap, but you definitely get what you pay for.

Since you don't play guitar yet, I'd go shopping with a friend who does and have them play some various small amps for you so you can decide what you like the sound of best. No one here can tell you what is going to sound best to your ears.

Good luck!

• Members

When I was searching for a small, versatile practice amp, I listened to a LOT of people on this forum and checked out the Vox Valvetronix series of amps. Although they had a lot of different sounds on tap, I felt they sounded cold and lifeless. I tried the Tech 21 TM30 next, and it was in a whole different league. The Tech 21 was so much warmer and responsive. It pulls of a very convincing Marshall, Mesa, or Fender tone. I think it out Marshalls genuine Marshall SS practice amps. The Tech 21 isn't cheap, but you definitely get what you pay for.

Since you don't play guitar yet, I'd go shopping with a friend who does and have them play some various small amps for you so you can decide what you like the sound of best. No one here can tell you what is going to sound best to your ears.

Good luck!

hmmm I may have to try one of those out some time. I've heard of them but never seen one anywhere so I've never had a chance to try one out or even hear one in person. As far as out-marshalling an MG, I believe it. I love Marshall to death but I'm not sure what they were thinking when they designed the MG. :freak:

• Members

Headphone out, modeling, keeping your guitar on a stand; whatever is gonna inspire you to play is key.

I think you'll be fine with an AL-2000. You don't need an amp over 15 watts. chances are you're not going to be gigging early on, and if you are, 15 watts should be enough for a small area.

• Members

As far as out-marshalling an MG, I believe it. I love Marshall to death but I'm not sure what they were thinking when they designed the MG.
:freak:

Not an MG, those are horrible. It out-Marshalled my 1980s Lead 12, 12 watt SS combo with 10" Celestion. I don't even consider the MG a Marshall.:cop:

• Members

One guitar to start with should be enough really.

My stock answer here is a new or used Yamaha Pacifica 112J, and a Fender Super Champ XD.

Both are highly versatile and will do anything from shimmery clean to hard rock.

I will be becoming your echo on the Pacifica 112j. :)

Really sweet guitars.

and if you want two guitars, a dual humbucker Agile would be cool, your bases would be covered.

For the amp, I would say Bugera V5 (my new stock answer).

I really think these are terrific, versatile, amps.

you might want to add a delay pedel in front of it though.

Total price around $550 to $600.

Not bad for a rig that easily gets you 10 years down the road.

Archived