Washburn WI64 NGD & Short Review

Woody_in_MN

• Members

I got my Washburn WI64 Idol that J&R did a sale on. On playing it about 3 times since last night, here are my Impressions:

THE GOOD:

It comes with a realy, realy nice reinforced gigbag. I would rate the gigbag worth around $40-$60. The guitar is beautiful. The transparent red is really nice. One of my friends in high school had a red Gibson SG, and it reminds me of that guitar. Made in Indonesia, the craftsmanship is really great. Set neck. Grover tuners. The guitar came set up perfectly. I have only had to tune it once since I got it yesterday. It is a great player. One of my best. The humbuckers are good.Decent cleans. They are warm and a bit bass-y to my ears. Better than duncan designed I've played. You can get good jazz tones from this axe. Very nice sustain. The guitar is well balanced when played standing. It is comfortable

THE BAD:

There is not much bad. Probably should mention the VCC (Voice Contour Control). This is Washburns version of a blend-able coil tap. For me it does not work as well as Reverand's system. Really I would have preferred a simple coil tap. It is a littel subtle, but for my ears you can get close to the quack of a single coil, roll toward the middle, and get closer to a P90 sound, and of course all the way up for full humbucker sound. Is it like having three guitars in one? No. Is it awful? No. Will I pull the electronics out? No. If you plan on buying a Washburn with VCC, I'd say just work with it a little before you start swapping electronics.

SUMMARY:

I really, really like it. I have had really good luck in the last month kind of rolling the dice on guitars I have not known much about, and ended up a big winner. First the Hagstrom Ultra Swede, now the WI64. Both in red. In my mind this is WI64 is a very good alternative to Epiphone, and possibly Gibson, if you do a PUP upgrade.

pics...

WI64_1.JPG

WI64_2.JPG

WI64_3.JPG

- w

• Members

Awesome, I want one.

How's the balance, neck heavy? Does that one have Buzz Feiten? How's the upper fret access?

1) Balance is good. Neck is not heavy.

2) BF = yes

3) Neck access is pretty good. A DC would be better. I was messing around trying to do a little lick - all is good up thru the 19th fret - But up to the 21st fret - it gets ugly. (It has 22 frets.)

Thanks all.

- w

• Members

what movie is that from? I know I've seen it but can't remember the name of it...
:freak:

You might be thinking of the three-titted alien chick from "Total Recall"

Not the same one as the pic though, I don't think.

Woody, congrats on the axe man. I love Washburns and have owned imported and USA models - all were great. Here is the singer of my band posing with my Idol:

mybaby-1.jpg

Archived