When did Gibson start using 2 piece necks?

jedistar

• Members

Am not sure if I have this right but a 1996 model custom shop Les Paul guitar I am looking at claims to have a 1 piece neck - which I assume to mean the headstock and neck are made from a single piece of wood vs separate timber for each?

If this is true when did Gibson start doing 2 piece necks for standard models??

• Members

I could be wrong here but I believe that Standards have a specific neck design.

The neck is made in such a way that it is all the same width and then 2 small pieces are added to the headstock where the tuners are.

If you look closely you can see what I mean here.

Gibson-Custon-Les-Paul-1954-Goldtop-Reis

gthsbk.jpg

• Members

Am not sure if I have this right but a 1996 model custom shop Les Paul guitar I am looking at claims to have a 1 piece neck - which I assume to mean the headstock and neck are made from a single piece of wood vs separate timber for each?

If this is true when did Gibson start doing 2 piece necks for standard models??

I don't understand. Your saying the LP your looking at is a one piece neck but are asking if gibson makes a 2 piece neck? Where are you getting the two piece thing from?

As that picture shows they do glue on the little wings to the headstock but I wouldn't consider that "multi piece" by any stretch of the imagination. Just decoration.

• Members

I don't understand. Your saying the LP your looking at is a one piece neck but are asking if gibson makes a 2 piece neck? Where are you getting the two piece thing from?

As that picture shows they do glue on the little wings to the headstock but I wouldn't consider that "multi piece" by any stretch of the imagination. Just decoration.

As far as I'm aware it isn't done for decoration.

The wings are added on so that a great deal of wood isn't wasted when making each neck.

If you imagine what the total width of the wood that would be required to make a one piece neck would be, you'll get an idea of the amount of wasted wood.

Now imagine if every LP had a one piece headstock. That's a lot of leftover, wasted wood.

• Members

Techinally, a company would be able to take a piece of wood (for example 12' x 12'), cut it to the point where they made 98 parts and then pieced together the scraps to make 2 more of the same exact parts and legally be able to say it all came from 1 piece of wood.

• Members

As far as I'm aware it isn't done for decoration.

The wings are added on so that a great deal of wood isn't wasted when making each neck.

If you imagine what the total width of the wood that would be required to make a one piece neck would be, you'll get an idea of the amount of wasted wood.

Now imagine if every LP had a one piece headstock. That's a lot of leftover, wasted wood.

OK that's true and maybe I worded it wrong. I just meant that those little wings don't make it a "multi piece" neck like most people would think of. ie sandwiched layers of woods running the length of the neck.

• Members

OK that's true but and maybe I worded it wrong. I just meant that those little wings don't make it a "multi piece" neck like most people would think of. ie sandwiched layers of woods running the length of the neck.

Those 'little wings' actually make it a multi-piece headstock, not a multi-piece neck... :cop:

• Members

I've never seen a real Gibson that didn't have a one piece neck. Many of the import fakes have a two piece scarf joint neck, but I think all real Gibson LPs are one piece (minus the headstock wings, of course).

from 1969 through the 1980s they had three piece necks. You don't get out much.

• Members

from 1969 through the 1980s they had three piece necks.
You don't get out much.

Oh the irony of that statement! :cop:

I too am confused tho, who the hell says that Gibson now makes 2 piece necks?? :confused:

Ive noticed that Epis have a scarf joint, but thats a pretty dumb mistake to confuse one with a gibson :facepalm:

Archived