Importing MIDI Files into DP

• Members

Chances are this thread will be deleted very soon, either way...

I`m trying to Import MIDI files from REASON into DP so I can access my EZ Drummer sounds... anyone know how to do this?

I`m searching online and keep reading things about clippings...

Exporting out of REASON was easy enough...

• Members

You can just open MIDI files like you would a DP project file.

+1

Along with that, you can also drag and drop a standard MIDI file onto a MIDI track in DP. However, doing so will overwrite data in your Conductor track (time signature, etc).

• Members

Huh?

I must be missing something...

Let me explain what I`m trying to do...

I`m producing an EP (4-5 songs) for a singer-songwriter and using REASON as my primary sound source for bass, drums, pianos, strings, etc... However, there are certain drum sounds I would prefer to use in EZ Drummer which is a VI in Digital Performer. So instead of re-programming all the drums again or in this case, the snare and hats which are the only instruments I want to replace with EZD, I exported the MIDI files from REASON and cannot for the life of me get them into DP without a lot of craziness.

I eventually did get the MIDI files into DP but what a friggin headache. It was not a simple drag and drop.

• Members

Huh?

I must be missing something...

Let me explain what I`m trying to do...

I`m producing an EP (4-5 songs) for a singer-songwriter and using REASON as my primary sound source for bass, drums, pianos, strings, etc... However, there are certain drum sounds I would prefer to use in EZ Drummer which is a VI in Digital Performer. So instead of re-programming all the drums again or in this case, the snare and hats which are the only instruments I want to replace with EZD, I exported the MIDI files from REASON and cannot for the life of me get them into DP without a lot of craziness.

I eventually did get the MIDI files into DP but what a friggin headache. It was not a simple drag and drop.

If you Exported the MIDI from Reason by selecting the MIDI clip and then using the File->Export MIDI File... menu item, it should have given you a standard MIDI file on your disk somewhere. The next step is to use the Mac Finder to drag that MIDI file directly onto a MIDI track in DP in the Tracks window.

Possible reasons for the problem:

Maybe you're trying to drag into the Mixer or Sequence Editor or something?

Or maybe you didn't have the MIDI clip selected in the Reason Sequencer window when you exported?

Or maybe you're trying to drag the MIDI onto an Aux or Instrument track? It must be a MIDI track in DP.

• Members

What I've normally done is: within Reason's Redrum Copy Pattern to track. After that track is put together I'll export midi file to the desktop, then open the midi file in DP, select/copy the midi track, open the target project file and paste the midi track in. There may be other ways to do it but I'm inherently old school.

The thing I find annoying is having to move the notes around to get the Reason drum notes to line up with the more standardized midi layout of other drum hardware/software.

• Members

What I've normally done is: within Reason's Redrum Copy Pattern to track. After that track is put together I'll export GM file to the desktop, then open the midi file in DP, select/copy the midi track, open the target project file and paste the midi track in. There may be other ways to do it but I'm inherently old school.

You forgot hopping around, counter-clockwise, on one leg while reciting the first ten pages of any Roland user manual from memory.

• Members

Even the dragging and dropping is more than I do. I start up DP, which I have set to Open File when first starting, then I choose the MIDI file I want to open. Exactly like I would open a DP project file, only I choose a MIDI file instead.

• Members

Even the dragging and dropping is more than I do. I start up DP, which I have set to Open File when first starting, then I choose the MIDI file I want to open. Exactly like I would open a DP project file, only I choose a MIDI file instead.

The thing is I already have Audio tracks in DP that I need. Where in DP is the Import MIDI File command?

• Members

Where in DP is the Import MIDI File command?

I spent the majority of my DP time in 5.13 before upgrading to 6 and if there is one, I never found it. I switched between opening midi files and my huge live band project file copying over midi tracks one by one at times when I needed to. I really didn't think it was that big of an inconvenience considering how much better DP is for live use over any other DAW program.

In Sonar you can create a blank midi track at the bottom and then import a whole midi file.

• Members

I spent the majority of my DP time in 5.13 before upgrading to 6 and if there is one, I never found it. I switched between opening midi files and my huge live band project file copying over midi tracks one by one at times when I needed to. I really didn't think it was
that
big of an inconvenience considering how much better DP is for live use over any other DAW program.

In Sonar you can create a blank midi track at the bottom and then import a whole midi file.

Nope, I don`t think there is an Import MIDI file in DP which is staggering when you consider DP is considered by most the cream of the crop for handling MIDI. Whats up with that? So far, I`ve searched online, in the manual and here. No one knows how to do this? Crazy.

Verachor, I`m curious, what exactly do you do to import a MIDI file from another DAW/program?

• Members

The thing is I already have Audio tracks in DP that I need. Where in DP is the Import MIDI File command?

Sorry, I didn't get that part. Good point. I just poked around DP and the manual and I can't find any "Import" choice either. That seems like an odd oversight for a program that started as MIDI-only.

I guess the easiest way to add a MIDI file to an existing project is to add a MIDI track, then drag the MIDI file from the Finder and drop into the track.

• Members

Sorry, I didn't get that part. Good point. I just poked around DP and the manual and I can't find any "Import" choice either. That seems like an odd oversight for a program that started as MIDI-only.

I guess the easiest way to add a MIDI file to an existing project is to add a MIDI track, then drag the MIDI file from the Finder and drop into the track.

I can`t even do that.

• Members

Verachor, I`m curious, what exactly do you do to import a MIDI file from another DAW/program?

I don't really ever find myself in the same situation - needing to add MIDI files to existing projects. Sometimes I start my songs in Live and then finish in DP, but I guess I've just never found myself needing to bring a MIDI file into an existing project. Or if I have I don't remember.

• Members

Well, this is funny because I actually was able to get the files in DP last evening but I don`t remember how I did it. I remember shaking my head and cursing a lot like... wtf? Anyway, I`ll figure it out again but its NOT intuitive at all. I was really stumped there. Granted, what I`m doing is not really standard procedure but the only way I can access the EZ Drummer sounds is through Digital Performer. Its a strange thing but I`ll figure it out and I will contact MOTU about this and find out if they can make it more intuitive in future releases, something like an IMPORT MIDI feature would seem easy enough.

• Members

I can`t even do that.

Weird. I don't know what to tell you then. You said you eventually got it done - the next best way I can think of is to open the MIDI file, drag the MIDI regions(s) into a DP clipping window, open your other project, then drag them from the clipping window into the tracks window. Is that what you did?

• Members

The thing I find annoying is having to move the notes around to get the Reason drum notes to line up with the more standardized midi layout of other drum hardware/software.

I agree that is annoying. If you don't mind playing in your drum patterns, here is a workaround using Record's ID8. It is basically a GM module. Create an ID8. Then use buttons on the ID8 to switch it to drum mode. That gives you a GM compatible drum module. Then, play your pattern in with your keyboard. Because it's GM drum note locations, you can freely move the sequence (after exporting to standard MIDI file) to another GM compatible drum module in another DAW.

• Members

The method you refer to is usually not preferable to me unless I'm starting with a drum pattern. Your method forces you to start a new sequence which is sometimes fine and sometimes not.

• Members

Nope, I don`t think there is an Import MIDI file in DP which is staggering when you consider DP is considered by most the cream of the crop for handling MIDI. Whats up with that? So far, I`ve searched online, in the manual and here. No one knows how to do this? Crazy.

Because MIDI is just sequencer notes for a MIDI track, you don't ever need to "Import" the MIDI. I'm certain your problem is that you are trying to drag the SMF onto something other than a MIDI track in the DP Tracks window.

Just create an instrument track for your EZ module. Then create a MIDI track that has its output assigned to EZ. Then, with Finder, drag the standard MIDI file (that you exported from Reason) onto the MIDI track in the DP tracks window. That's all there is to it.

Note, however, that if your drum track in reason came from a Redrum pattern, the notes will have to be moved around in DP to make them trigger correctly. See ggm1960 post.

• Members

I agree that is annoying. If you don't mind playing in your drum patterns, here is a workaround using Record's ID8. It is basically a GM module. Create an ID8. Then use buttons on the ID8 to switch it to drum mode. That gives you a GM compatible drum module. Then, play your pattern in with your keyboard. Because it's GM drum note locations, you can freely move the sequence (after exporting to standard MIDI file) to another GM compatible drum module in another DAW.

I'll admit that although it sounds familiar, I've never used the ID8, and further embarrass myself by admitting that I don't even know what it is. Now I'll have to take a look at it but frankly, if I need to play in my own patterns I might as well just go ahead and do that in DP or Sonar to begin with.

Archived