Jaguar bridge pickup in a strat?

spoonie g

• Members

A couple of things:

1. A Jag pickup is almost the same as a Strat pickup, the claws are it's bigest difference.

2. A Jag pickup does NOT mount into the pickguard. It screws into the body, via the claw/pickup mounting assembly (I learnd this, when I replaced the stock pickups in my first Jag - a 1990, Olympic White Japanese reissue). So, it's not a direct drop-in. IIRC (I did the pickup change back in 1990, and at the present time, I don't feel like taking apart the pickups in my '66 Reissue Jag), unlike a Strat's pickup cover/mount, there are no threaded inserts in the cover of a Jag pickup.

• Members

A couple of things:

1. A Jag pickup is almost the same as a Strat pickup, the claws are it's bigest difference.

2. A Jag pickup does NOT mount into the pickguard. It screws into the body, via the claw/pickup mounting assembly (I learnd this, when I replaced the stock pickups in my first Jag - a 1990, Olympic White Japanese riessue). So, it's not a direct drop-in. IIRC (I did the pickup change back in 1990, and at the present time, I don;t feel like taking aprt the pickups in my '66 Reissue Jag), unlike a Strat's pickup cover/mount, there are no threaded inserts in the cover of a Jag pickup.

Well, the reason I ask is the last album I recorded, the engineer handed me a strat to use in addition to the other guitars we used (which included a tele and strat) and this one sounded brighter and janglier (like a jaguar). Low and behold, it had a vintage jaguar pickup in it. It sounded noticeably different from a typical strat bridge sound.

• Members
doesn't the brightness of a Jag have a lot to do with the pots too (1000k vs. whatever is normally in a single coil)?

sorry if I'm wrong about that, I don't know anything about wiring guitars

You are probably correct. I'm in the process of building a Jag and currently have just the bridge pup installed and it's hard wired directly to the output jack. To say it's bright would be a bit of an understatement.:lol: However, I still feel they are brighter and janglier than a typical strat pup...cause I've also hard wired a few of them to the output jack in my time.

• Members
You are probably correct. I'm in the process of building a Jag and currently have just the bridge pup installed and it's hard wired directly to the output jack. To say it's bright would be a bit of an understatement.
:lol:
However, I still feel they are brighter and janglier than a typical strat pup...cause I've also hard wired a few of them to the output jack in my time.

Wouldn't the "claws" make it different sounding too? Kind of like how the tele has the base plate?

• Members

maybe they're teeth - give it more bite?

:

....well, the tele's metal baseplate definitely has some influence on its sound, so im thinking maybe thats the same with the jaguar metal claws. Kind of like how lindy fralin puts metal baseplates on his strat bridge pickups.

• Members
doesn't the brightness of a Jag have a lot to do with the pots too (1000k vs. whatever is normally in a single coil)?

sorry if I'm wrong about that, I don't know anything about wiring guitars

Yes it does. The pots are 1 Meg. One of the reasons why the rhythmn circuit on a jag and a jazzmaster is appreciable darker, is due to the fact that post used in the rhythmn circuit, are only 50k.

It's possible that the claws on the Jag pickup had something to do with the sound difference. They not only serve to help with shielding, but they also contribute to the magnetic field shape around the pickup (which the strings pass through), due to the fact that they are made out of chromed steel. Realize this, as I said earlier, the claws are incorporated into the pickup mounts. The whole mounting setup, is almost like a Rickenbacker's, in that the mounts have rubber cushions under them that serve to provide shock mounting, and act like shims to set up pickup height, since the whole assembly screws into the guitar body. You'd have to cobble together an assembly, that would be able to screw into a strat pickguard. As it is, IIRC, the Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders I put in my first Jag (man, those things sounded SERIOUSLY BRUTAL, I might just put a set in my '66 Reissue Jag), didn't even lock tight onto the mounting plate with claws, until I had the whole assembly screwed down securely, onto the guitar's body. So, the chances are, that you'd have to come up with a way to secure the pickups, to the mounts, while the whole assembly is hanging off of the pickguard.

Get a Jag, they're cooler than Strats anyway! :D

Archived