How much would you pay?

nonameputs

• Members

How much would you pay for a hand built 15ft guitar cable made with Mogami 2524 and Neutrik connectors?

edit: And I'm not asking if you would make your own, I just asking what you would pay if you didn't want to, or couldn't, make your own. For those of you who can make your own think of it this way: if you were going to pay for all the materials, how much would you tip someone to assemble them for you? 5? 10? 15?

• Members

I wouldn't. Beyond durability, perceived differences in instrument cables are all in the mind.

Uhhh... perceived EVERYTHING is in the mind. That's why it's a perception until it's proven. :lol:

But... a generic (but decent) cable at Guitar Center is about $16 so why not get an arguably superior cable with better connectors for $4 more?

:idk:

Plus just to throw out there, lower end Monster Cables are generally considered to be about the worst name brand cables. I know we can debate it to death (and it never fails to amaze me the folks that will argue about something they've never compared) but I've heard comparisons of many higher end cables in home auidio... ranging into quite insane prices. My general take nothing over about $30 is worth it, but there are clearly differences. Exp at the extremes of cable topology. Solid strand conductor Audioquest vs super thin, multi-stranded Kimber Kable being a pretty big difference than anyone with functioning ears can hear. Which is best is up to you and/or your stereo, but there's definitely a difference.

• Members

I wouldn't... I make my own.

but at 15' for 20 bucks... your not making much profit... figure a silent plug on one end is 8 bucks... and standard on the other end is 3.50.. good cable is around $0.90 a foot for coax style more for two conductor mic cable to do the single grounded shield thing... add in techflex, labor, heatshrink, etc... and 20 bucks isnt going to cover a high-end handmade cable..

• Members

I wouldn't. Beyond durability, perceived differences in instrument cables are all in the mind.

First of all, that's with speaker cable, not a guitar into an amp. Second of all, there is a LOT of science to back up the "one cable vs another" debates. Capacitance and shielding make a HUGE difference. Crappy cables shunt high frequencies to ground and make your sound dull and flat. Poor insulation and shielding will lead to open circuits, microphonics, and all kinds of noise. That's not some snake oil mojo magic BS, it's scientific fact. Now I'm not saying that a lot of it isn't marketing and hype (trust me, if you saw the mark up on Monster cables you would {censored} yourself) All I"m saying is that a good quality set of cables, especially the cable that goes from the guitar to the first pedal if you're using a pedalboard, can make an amazing difference.

Nice plugs help too. I wouldn't say that all the gold plating and hermetically sealed stuff makes a difference, but a cheap ass plug can do a lot of damage to tone. Plus they break easily.

• Members

I wouldn't... I make my own.

but at 15' for 20 bucks... your not making much profit... figure a silent plug on one end is 8 bucks... and standard on the other end is 3.50.. good cable is around $0.90 a foot for coax style more for two conductor mic cable to do the single grounded shield thing... add in techflex, labor, heatshrink, etc... and 20 bucks isnt going to cover a high-end handmade cable..

I'm just curious what people think a good price would be for something like this. I just got done with making my own set of cables and realized how much money I saved by doing it. It got me thinking about how much margin is in a "top quality" name brand cable and then I wondered how much the general consumer populous would realistically pay.

Oh, and I didn't use the silent jacks (that's what I have a mute witch for)

• Members

I'm not big on the audiophile bull{censored}, but that story is purely anecdotal, and honestly sounds like something I used to hear when I worked in truck stops. Tall tales that need only be filed away in {censored}thatdidn'thappen.txt

• Members

I'm not big on the audiophile bull{censored}, but that story is purely anecdotal, and honestly sounds like something I used to hear when I worked in truck stops. Tall tales that need only be filed away in {censored}thatdidn'thappen.txt

Well, post-amp speaker wire isn't exactly the most complicated stuff, but if they are audiophiles they should have been able to tell a difference. If nothing else there would probably be a drop in volume.

• Members

Well, post-amp speaker wire isn't exactly the most complicated stuff, but if they are audiophiles they should have been able to tell a difference. If nothing else there would probably be a drop in volume.

I don't see why there would be a drop in volume. While the resistance of the coathanger may be higher than that of the cable, it's still low enough to be negligible. Actually, given that the conductors in the Monster cable are side by side whereas the coathanger conductors were undoubtedly farther apart, I would expect the coathanger to have less reactance (though at audio frequencies I expect the reactance in either case to be negligible).

• Members

That's a speaker cable. It carries a large amplitude signal over a short distance. Capacitance makes bugger all difference for that application, what matters more there is that it's durable and won't short.

For guitar cable though capacitance makes a pretty big difference.

Most people will notice a difference between a bog standard cheap cable and something like a Klotz or a Lava.

Between brands the differences are more subtle, and once you start spending more than about $40 for a 20' cable the law of diminishing returns starts to apply, so getting that last 0.2% probably isn't worth it.

• Members

That's a speaker cable. It carries a large amplitude signal over a short distance. Capacitance makes bugger all difference for that application, what matters more there is that it's durable and won't short.

For guitar cable though capacitance makes a pretty big difference.

Most people will notice a difference between a bog standard cheap cable and something like a Klotz or a Lava.

Between brands the differences are more subtle, and once you start spending more than about $40 for a 20' cable the law of diminishing returns starts to apply, so getting that last 0.2% probably isn't worth it.

My views exactly. Monster makes a bunch of different "genre specific" cables (they have a jazz cable for example with a high capacitance for a more mellow sound), but that seems a little ridiculous to me. I would rather have the full spectrum going into the amp and turn the treble down on the amp or with the guitar's tone knob. Being stuck with a mellow sound all the time would piss me off.

Archived