Shipping stuff on CL

dres_x

• Members

I have bought stuff off CL and had it shipped to me. No problem.

I just kept all emails from seller. Sent money order registered mail so he had to sign to pick it up. Proof they get it. They sent my goods out registered mail so they would know I got it.

• Members

I've shipped one guitar via Craigslist. A guy emailed asking if I would consider shipping and included his phone number. I gave him a call and everything seemed very legit plus he paypal'ed me the money immediately (of course it always possible to reverse payment). I shipped the guitar that very afternoon.

I guess it really all depends on how comfortable you feel with the specific person after talking with them. I would NEVER to the deal completely via email as talking to a person can reveal quite a good deal about them.

FWIW, the guy's original email was very apologetic in asking about shipping as he knew it was kinda a Craigslist Taboo. Something like "please forgive my asking if you are willing to ship the guitar....I completely understand if you never even reply to my email....etc.

• Members

I don't ship, period. That's just too big a risk, and you have little recourse if the guy reneges on his payment. This is especially true with paypal. I'm willing to deliver (being as that NYC is pretty easy to get around in) but shipping's out of the question.

• Members

I don't see how it is really any different than buying or trading with someone in the spam forum.
The person gets the moneies to the seller. The seller sends out the goods.
The buyer is the only one really taking the risk. They have to accept that.

• Members

I'll ship, as long as the buyer agrees to my terms, which basically is I get paid and I sit on any PP transactions until the cash is removed, then ship. I am not responsible for anything other then to ship the guitar. I'm upfront and make sure that the buyer knows they'll will lose out if something happens with transit, and the shipper won't cover it. I'll help however I can, but won't be held responsible for anything. Or no deal.

• Members

hrm

even if he sends payment via paypal gift or something? I'm not entirely sure how the gift thing works but he can still get his money back from a gift?

i haven't spoken to him on the phone yet, but I want to make sure there's a way I can get paid without being screwed :S

• Members

hrm

even if he sends payment via paypal gift or something? I'm not entirely sure how the gift thing works but he can still get his money back from a gift?

i haven't spoken to him on the phone yet, but I want to make sure there's a way I can get paid without being screwed :S

The problem is, any scammer can open up a paypal account as long as he has a credit, debit or checking account. He can easily then buy stuff and charge the money to his credit or debit card even if he doesn't have the money to cover it. When paypal finally figures out he has no money, they'll place a hold on it, and you'll probably never see it. That's why you have to be careful... Check to see if he has an ebay account and if he has any feedback. That should give you some insight into his reliability and honesty.

• Members

hrm

PayPal has a seller protection policy that covers the seller, but you need to read it carefully and follow everything in it to the letter. If you don't, and the buyer wants to screw you, they can and will get away with it and PayPal will say 'tough {censored}, you didn't follow the seller protection plan rules'.

• Members

PayPal has a seller protection policy that covers the seller, but you need to read it carefully and follow everything in it to the letter. If you don't, and the buyer wants to screw you, they can and will get away with it and PayPal will say 'tough {censored}, you didn't follow the seller protection plan rules'.

I thought that only pertained to eBay transactions since Paypal is a subsidiary?

• Members

I thought that only pertained to eBay transactions since Paypal is a subsidiary?

The protection policy existed before eBay bought them, so if it doesn't now, it used to apply to other transactions.

I guess if you read the protection policy and it says it only applies to eBay, then you can't follow the rules if you want to use it for something else and be covered...

• Members

You people would have never survived before PayPal...

The only way things were sold on eBay (or anywhere else for that matter) 10+ years ago were by check, money order, cashiers check, or the occasional idiot that sent cash, and somehow we managed. PayPal doesn't protect the buyer or seller anywhere near as much as people might believe. Everyone should read the PayPal 'rules' someday, there is some really interesting things I bet most people don't know that have to do to be 'covered'.

Archived