So I just bought some trippy new shoes (and not from the spammers here)

UstadKhanAli

• Members

I wore the shoes to work yesterday and have them on today. So far, so good. I was a little bit sore yesterday from wearing them by noontime, but then my body continued adjusting to it and feels pretty good. My feet feel less worked as well, and they might be good shoes for walking around for a long time.

The hit on these shoes initially were that they looked weird and/or ugly. But the new shoes look good. I haven't told anyone at work about the shoes, and have gotten two unsolicited comments: "Oh, new shoes! They look great!"

Anyway, so far, these MBTs seem to do exactly what they say they do. I'll see after a longer period of time what the benefits are, but so far, so good.

• Members

Docs and Chucks. Oh, and a good pair of sandals in the summer.

+1. I've been wearing Chucks for over 50 years now (not the same pair.....)

Now I'm firmly into middle age, I can wear socks with my sandals legally.

My wife is about to try some MBTs (constant back problems) so I wait with interest how Ken gets on with his.

• Members

My wife is about to try some MBTs (constant back problems) so I wait with interest how Ken gets on with his.

Now, bear in mind that *nothing* has ever cured my back pain. Every day is like Groundhog Day. I wake up, my back really hurts, I take a hot shower and do yoga stretches, feel a little better, and that's about it. I've tried quite a lot of things. These things that are sort of like epidural shots helped reduce my pain by 50%, but it wore off after a few days. Basically, if I am awake, I am in pain. I am mentioning this because I believe it would be unreasonable to expect these shoes to reduce my back pain.

And it hasn't. I'm beginning my fourth day of wearing them, and what I have noticed is that I am slowly adjusting to the shoes, and my feet and ankles feel quite good even when I am on my feet for as much as twelve hours (with my work, I am on my feet most of the day, typically, and then if I go elsewhere, it can be a long day...I'm fairly active). I don't typically have aching feet or ankles that much, but you know, at the end of the day, they sometimes feel kinda worked. Not so with these MBT shoes. They feel good and relaxed and much better. So that's the biggest difference so far. I understand that it can sometimes take a little while to really fully appreciate the benefits of these shoes, and I am willing to be patient. But so far, there's tons of cushioning and my feet and ankles feel great, and I can feel that I am getting exercise from even standing. Also, I am walking straighter and my gait just looks better and straighter.

These are not Earth Shoes. I felt pretty good walking in those, and this is not a dis on Earth Shoes. But MBTs are not Earth Shoes, and the principle is very different even though it does technically have a "negative heel". And so far, I greatly prefer MBTs and feel better in those than the Earth Shoes.

• Members

Now, bear in mind that *nothing* has ever cured my back pain. Every day is like Groundhog Day. I wake up, my back really hurts, I take a hot shower and do yoga stretches, feel a little better, and that's about it. I've tried quite a lot of things. These things that are sort of like epidural shots helped reduce my pain by 50%, but it wore off after a few days. Basically, if I am awake, I am in pain. I am mentioning this because I believe it would be unreasonable to expect these shoes to reduce my back pain.

I wore these when I was walking the hospital halls, every day.

Expensive, yes...but in five days, first my back pain was gone, then knee pain, then my heel pain disappeared. They look crazy but they really work.

They are also semi-adjustable and extremely durable.

http://www.zcoil.com/

• Members

Thanks! They do seriously look crazy. And I thought the MBTs and Vibram fivefingers looked kinda different! :D

BTW, only two people at my work so far have commented that my MBT shoes are different looking from other shoes or made any sort of comment to that effect. Four people have said, "Hey, nice shoes!"

• Members

Thanks! They do seriously look crazy. And I thought the MBTs and Vibram fivefingers looked kinda different!
:D

BTW, only two people at my work so far have commented that my MBT shoes are different looking from other shoes or made any sort of comment to that effect. Four people have said, "Hey, nice shoes!"

There is an authorized Z-Coil store in Torrance if you ever want to go check them out, btw.

• Members

Anyone remember 'Earth Shoes?'

I was just gonna say... they're like Earth Shoes that don't know which way they're pointed.

Looking at the Flash ani (maybe the iPad fanboyz are right, as long as there's a way to watch YouTube, most folks will probably be happier without it :D ... j/k... sorta), the shoes don't seem like they'd generate the same kind of problems that the woeful Earth Shoes fad did (and, yes, I bought into it, too, but unlike so many, didn't seem to end up with back problems). But I do have to say that animation is totally cooked. I mean, they must have been yelling at the 'normal shoe' guy who modeled for the ani, "Slouch more, no more, more!" :D

• Members

Interesting - I suppose the original shoe design with a heal was based around the stirrup for horse riding. As it's no longer necessary why not alter the shoe design.

I dunno... through most of the course of history (the fantasy wild west notwithstanding), horses were for the elites.

I suspect the longevity of the raised sole is, in large part, a vanity feature.

Although, with, say, running shoes, much of the raised section seems to be involved with providing extra cushioning -- something that wouldn't really be the case with hard-rubber heels (which really do mess with my calves and tendons if I do any serious walking with them).

In recent years, most of the shoes I've ended up with have had a 'roll' at the back of the heel, like so many contemporary work (and running) shoes -- and I definitely think that works for me -- so, I'm at least part way convinced here.

Still, any time one makes radical shoe changes, there is often heck to pay. And sometimes hell.

• Members

I have a pair of the Vibram 5 Finger shoes...

They are really comfy, but people FREAK when I wear them.....like..."OMG, WTH is wrong with your feet?

I tell them I am reverting to an Ape, feet first...

Seriously, they are oddly comfy, and a nice break from other things...If nothing else, the change spread the load around your feet. I have a knee chair at work and use it the same way....move between it and a reg. chair a couple hours at a time if my back is bugging me..

The Vibrams are really good kayak/beach shoes too.

I've been kinda digging those for some time, too. Can't afford them at the moment, but they're on the radar.

I imagine they'd be great for us drummers.

• 1 month later...

Skechers Shape Ups

I have a pair of these....they look similar. I thought the claims (about exercising the legs more) were nutty, but the idea of rocking into a toe push-off was helpful, so I bought them. Well, I've worn them a number of times on 2 to 5 mile walks and my legs were NEVER this tired in regular walking shoes (I use New Balance.) One of the physiatrists at work recommends all of the rocker bottom shoes for walking. Good luck, hope they help with the back.

I bought a pair of these today.

They look great and feel terrific.

I'm not sure they may work as they mention, but they are surely comfortable enough and it feels like walking in sand clouds :D

• Members

I bought a pair of these today.

They look great and feel terrific.

I'm not sure they may work as they mention, but they are surely comfortable enough and it feels like walking in
sand clouds
:D

I agree that they do feel like walking in sand....I really enjoy that. I've been wearing them several weeks now, two walks with and one without, then a day or two off.... my legs don't feel quite as tired.... Good luck with them.

• Members

Some of you might be interested in Danny and Katherine Dreyer's books, ChiWalking, and ChiRunning, dealing with how the way we walk and run messes us up.

A recent study underlines this: http://www.livescience.com/animals/running-shoes-barefoot-running-100127.html

For back pain, you might check out John E. Sarnow. I had an ongoing problem until I ran across one of his books on back pain. It's never bothered me since.

Archived