Where's gearslutz?

boosh

• 2 years later...
  • Members

They did an update. You'd think they would have learned from the HC 2.0 example.

:D :D :D

It's currently displaying with no CSS -- just raw text with some crude formatting provided by embedded tables from the looks of it. But... at least the purple's gone. ;)

Oops... CSS is in. It just took a reeeeally long time to load. Purple's back. But all the infrastructure images (buttons, icons, etc) are all missing. Ah... I get it, they changed the link structure of the forums...

If you've been using a bookmark to get to a specific forum at GS, try going in from the 'front' at www.gearslutz.com ...

At least I found the DAWs have an intrinsic sound, why?... I won't be able to sleep 'til we have a definitive answer there. :D

• Members

I don't find gearslutz interesting at all. I never signed up for it. For one, I didn't like the name, but mostly that's way too many damn people to correct and educate even for me... I've never seen so many misconceptions about everything under the sun by so many in one place. But then I remind myself that the purpose of many forums is just to shoot the bull even if no one knows what the hell they're talking about, so I let it be... even though that forum has to be the chief propagator of myth and urban ledged of every kind. It

• Members
I don't find gearslutz interesting at all. I never signed up for it. For one, I didn't like the name, but mostly that's way too many damn people to correct and educate even for me... I've never seen so many misconceptions about everything under the sun by so many in one place. But then I remind myself that the purpose of many forums is just to shoot the bull even if no one knows what the hell they're talking about, so I let it be... even though that forum has to be the chief propagator of myth and urban ledged of every kind. It

• Members

There's a wealth of great information on there, but there are too many threads from people looking for a shortcut ("recommend me a snare mic") or the absurd "help me spend $10k on pro home studio!!". I might actually post a topic there myself sometime, as none of my posts there enquiring about gear ever get answered.

Yup, thats the problem with GS... way too many people on there writing about stuff they have no clue about. And then theres the ridiculous weekly thread, "My uncle just gave me $50,000, help me spend it" which everyone seems to want to participate in for some reason unknown. Other than that, you do have some really talented people on there, the issue is knowing who is who. As I have suggested on GS before, the professionals in the room should have some sort of certificate next to their name.

Just because someone has 10,000,000,000 posts doesn`t mean they know what they`re talking about.:thu:

• Members

I occasionally post on there, and have been really lucky (no snarky comments so far, lots of good information). But I've heard so many people complain about that forum and have seen some evidence of snarkiness that I don't doubt that there's plenty of it. Then again, who are we at HC to really talk too much {censored} about another forum? HC has one of the worst reputations for stupidity and misinformation among pro audio and music forums.

• Members

GS can be frustrating for all the reasons cited. There are some extremely knowledgeable people who pass through there. Some are even pretty much legends. But, without question, there are definitely some people who we might say are defiantly clueless.

Interestingly, not all of the latter group are newbs. Some appear to run commercial facilities. And some of those who have serious pockets of technological ignorance and/or misinformation may well be effective at delivering what their clients want, despite some fundamental misunderstandings about the technology.

But when those folks start pontificating about what they think is going on and throwing around nonsensical interpretations of the science behind our craft, it can get seriously vexing. Particularly since, when things get contentious, the primary recourse of many of these folks is the old, "If you can't hear what I mean, you must be deaf," trope.

There's one fellow there who is not just a quite successful pop and classical engineer but who has several advanced degrees including a doc in physics. Yet you will see people argue bitterly with him over facts which have no room for argument, accusing him of being ignorant or having a tin ear, etc.

It can be amusing -- in a very cynical, gawsh-people-are-stupid kind of way -- but in the long run, it's quite troubling, since some of these 'anti-science' types (and some are quite forthright about being anti-science -- even as they attempt to argue about digital audio theory) are not just bratty kids in their room over the peep's garage but actually appear to be working studio professionals.

(That said, I ran into a lot of "working studio professionals" in the 3DW back in my day who had not clue one.)

• Members
I occasionally post on there, and have been really lucky (no snarky comments so far, lots of good information). But I've heard so many people complain about that forum and have seen some evidence of snarkiness that I don't doubt that there's plenty of it. Then again, who are we at HC to really talk too much {censored} about another forum? HC has one of the worst reputations for stupidity and misinformation among pro audio and music forums.

Sadly, there is some truth to that, largely related to some forums that have the reputation of being free-fire flame war zones. One might expect that in off-topic or politics-catch-all forums -- but there are instrument and equipment-centric forums here that have a very 'rough' reputation. HC is sometimes seen as a sort of 'wild west' set of forums. But, of course, once you get to know the place, you see that all the forums have slightly-to-radically different cultures and only a few, I think, live up to the wild and woofy image some hold of HC.

• Members
It appears I may have accidentally 'closed' (locked) this thread when I saved my last post -- so I'm going to reopen it. IF some other moderator actually closed it on purpose, my apologies, and go ahead and do what you think is right. I'm not second guessing anyone except, maybe, myself.

Archived