Why does everyone put their heads on their cabs?

sfarfsky

• Members

Tube heads require a speaker load. If you run a cale across the room and someone trips over it and disconnects, bad things happen.

For an at home rig, wire up your room as you see fit! Hide the cables so they don't get snagged, etc. For live stuff though, keep it simple. Plus if you're in a band, the guy you put your cab right next to won't be very happy. To hear yourself at the level you want, you'd be blowing him off the stage.

• Members
Tube heads require a speaker load. If you run a cale across the room and someone trips over it and disconnects, bad things happen.

For an at home rig, wire up your room as you see fit! Hide the cables so they don't get snagged, etc. For live stuff though, keep it simple. Plus if you're in a band, the guy you put your cab right next to won't be very happy. To hear yourself at the level you want, you'd be blowing him off the stage.

Thanks dudes

:facepalm:

• Members

Not everybody does ...

If you check footage of Who gigs during 1969-72 and onwards, Pete Townshend had his HiWatt heads (including spares) stacked up beside, rather than atop, his cabs. This meant that (a) it was easier for him to adjust them and (b) if the cabs got kicked over at the end of the set, the heads remained undamaged.

• Members

I often run my heads at the side of the stage, and cabs either side of the drummer :idk:
In the studio I almost always close mic a cab in the vocal booth and have the head in the control room. Just do whatever works (although ridiculous cable runs should be avoided).

• Members
Not everybody does ...

If you check footage of Who gigs during 1969-72 and onwards, Pete Townshend had his HiWatt heads (including spares) stacked up beside, rather than atop, his cabs. This meant that (a) it was easier for him to adjust them and (b) if the cabs got kicked over at the end of the set, the heads remained undamaged.

Ritchie Blackmore also did this in the later years of his time with Deep Purple, as shown in this 1991 photo:

deep-purple-1991-2.jpg

• Members

In your band you can setup your rig any way you want.

In my band we generally have to setup in very limited space and besides, I doubt my bandmates would appreciate it very much if I put my cab where it was blasting them instead of me.

• Members

I did read years ago that with tube heads, stacking them on the cabs can shorten tube life due to vibration from the cab.

Problem is, unless I have at least 2 4X12s stacked up with 2 100 watt heads teetering on the top, everyone thinks I've got a small dick....

:thu:

• Members

Because the best signal requires the shortest cable run, so stacking on top of the cab let's you use a 3-5 ft speaker cord versus a 20 ft run if you are across the room.

shorter cable runs make a small difference at pre-amp levels (mics and guitars), less so at line levels. at power amp levels it makes no audible difference, just use thick speaker cable because of the damping factor.

• Members

I've set up at a small club with one of the vocal mains stacked on top of my 4x12 & my head stashed behind me on the stage (myself & the other guitarist were standing on the dance floor on opposing sides of the stage). It worked fine but was a bit of a PITA when I had to re-EQ for one of the heavier songs that we do.

I've also run speaker cables across the room when recording different heads through the same cab.

For convenience sake, though, I usually keep whatever head I'm using atop the cab that I'm running it through.

Archived