Edward Van Halen Practicing at Home - 1974

EricFoss

• Members

I just loved hearing the hang with his friends at the end. you can hear Eddie's voice the very last part of it. You listen and you can see him just living in the Valley, partying and playing his guitar and has no idea about the gigantic impact he's about to have on the guitar world and music in general.

I still remember driving in my 1970 VW Beetle to school in the suburbs of Chicago and the DJ saying "here's a new cut by a band from Southern California and just listen to this guitar player" and "You Really Got Me" began. I was transfixed.

SO badass.

• Members

It's not any of the flashy stuff that defined him, but you can tell that his awesome sense of rhythm and groove is already there. Eddie's riffs had a ton of groove, IMO that stuff made him just as special as the lead stuff.

Agreed.

I thought that was a fascinating little window into his world back then. Hearing that made me remember why I liked him so much. Amazing.

Thanks for posting that.

• Members

Why is everyone being so raggy?

who's being raggy? I thought it was great. From listening to that clip it's clear that he was waaaaaay more creative and talented at 17 that I am after playing for 20+ years. I have never been able to come up with any riffs like that.

Archived