Just played an SX Strat on my work break

elsupermanny14

• Members

Just last week I picked up a MIA Peavey T-15 in very good condition for $69 at a Guitar Center here in Dallas.

There are currently 3 MIA predators for under $100 at GC's used site (one even includes the case):

T-15 is a short scale guitar and the price of the Peavey T series in general can vary wildly.

While I consider older used Peavey and Yamahas great bargains, using the same logic, how much would a used SX cost? Also buying used can mean you also buy the potential problems and failed upgrades of a former user not to mention the wear and tear...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Dunno wot the fuss is about .SX are good value for money and way better than most 60's rubbish I learned on and gigged.Having owned and played US Fenders ,they are a bit better but if you have to take it to bits to find some faults like routing your probably missing the point of a 100 dollar guitar .SX do have the weight and size and wood of a full blown Fender and mine has an F style headstock.The wood on my SX thinline is identical to the Alder on my HW1 Tele body.I reckon they are good value and worth buying .My Richwood is even better and quality wise is on par with US guitars .If some one wants to buy me a US Strat I will happily accept it but if I have to buy it myself there are frankly better options these days .

• Members

My SX SST OWL Strat is my favorite Strat-type guitar that I have. The neck and frets are great and the alder body absolutely rings. And the pickups have a nasty, growly vibe that I dig.

I wasn't completely happy with the stock Floyd and locking nut tho so I replaced them with an OFR and an OFR locking nut (an R3 nut if anybody needs the info). Everything fit just fine, I didn't have to fill and drill anything.

pix

SXNewStickersFront1-Copy.jpg

SXNewStickersBack1-Copy.jpg

• Members

While I consider older used Peavey and Yamahas great bargains, using the same logic, how much would a used SX cost? Also buying used can mean you also buy the potential problems and failed upgrades of a former user not to mention the wear and tear...

Oddly enough, used SX guitars usually sell for over $75 when they show up on GC's used site. % wise they hold their value REALLY well. They currently have 3....one at $60, another at $90, and then one at $140....quite a spread.

Very true in that there are potential problems when you buy a used guitar, but often there can be advantages if the prior owner was a gear head. With used guitars AND cheapies you better know how to properly set up a guitar and do basic fretwork. Come to think of it, the new cheapies I've bought are generally more poorly setup than the used guitars I buy.

• Members

Forget less, how many MIA Peaveys, or Yamahas have YOU seen for $100? :poke:

I own four Yamaha's (2 electric, one acoustic - bought new, and a bass) right now and I have about $360 in them altogether. Only one cost more than $100, and that one has Dimarzio pickups.

There are two used MIA Peavey's on guitar center's website for $99.

One on Music Go Round for $119.

Archived