Just played an SX Strat on my work break

elsupermanny14

• Members

I definitely agree that the neck had a nice solid feel to it. So moving onto a slightly different topic. Who do you think makes better necks? Xaviere or SX guitars?

For me it's SX. The Xaviere will almost always have better finished frets and a properly cut nut. However, I prefer the profile and jumbo frets on the SX. As I do my own level/crown/dress as well as nut work, the deficiences of the SX don't matter to me.

Also, not sure if Xaviere has changed; but the necks on the XV-870 has a 2 1/4" heel....can't just drop that into another body...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For me it's SX. The Xaviere will almost always have better finished frets and a properly cut nut. However, I prefer the profile and jumbo frets on the SX. As I do my own level/crown/dress as well as nut work, the deficiences of the SX don't matter to me.

Also, not sure if Xaviere has changed; but the necks on the XV-870 has a 2 1/4" heel....can't just drop that into another body...

In my limited experience with Xaviere, the attention to detail was higher but their Tele neck has profile similar to Squier. I much prefer the extra "heft" SX provides. Again, this doesn't mean SX necessarily makes a better neck. Simply that the specs they build to match my tastes. SX necks will not drop into a Fender pocket exactly either.

EDIT: I guess I should also add that my SX is the SST Stop Tail. A unique model with a Gibson style stop tail and a powder blue finish. Never seen another guitar like it from any other manufacturer which was also a deciding factor in making it a keeper.

• Members

Sure, they're inexpensive guitars. But, they out cheap the Squier's, et al. From manufacturer to importer to you. No middle men, no expensive advertising. Just the thousands of us out here who've bought them and spread the word to others. Talk about a fantastic 21st century internet business model! Wouldn't surprise me to see Kurt's picture on Forbes magazine in the future!

I picked up an SX-SST from Rondo with a mahogany body, a 21 fret maple neck with a nice vintage tint to it, and 2-P-90's in a tortise shell pickguard. It cost me a whopping $99.99 plus shipping. Squier can't touch that. Not even close. I can't even buy a finished mahogany body for that. And, it's surprisingly well made.

I picked up another tortise shell pickguard from Rondo for $7.95 that is routed for 2-humbuckers. And Because it's a 21 fret neck, and the body has a full route for humbuckers and has a std. Strat body cavity route, I've loaded that second pickguard with humbuckers and I can change it out in minutes.

Darn crappy little guitar....:D

• Members

In my limited experience with Xaviere, the attention to detail was higher but their Tele neck has profile similar to Squier. I much prefer the extra "heft" SX provides. Again, this doesn't mean SX necessarily makes a better neck. Simply that the specs they build to match my tastes. SX necks will not drop into a Fender pocket exactly either.

So since all these guitars have different sized neck pockets what happens if you ever had to replace the neck on one of them? Can you put a Squier neck or any replacement Fender neck on them? Or are you pretty much SOL if you were to need a replacement?

• Members

So since all these guitars have different sized neck pockets what happens if you ever had to replace the neck on one of them? Can you put a Squier neck or any replacement Fender neck on them? Or are you pretty much SOL if you were to need a replacement?

Typically, imports will match imports. That being said, many Squier's are also not interchangeable with Fender. You'll even find many Fender's which don't match other Fender's depending on year (or reproduced year) of construction/specific line/country of origin. At the price of an SX, if you break the neck you could replace the whole guitar for the cost of a replacement neck from Warmoth or USA Custom. If you're talking about building a Frakenstrat, this is part of the challenge...

• Members

gotta agree with the OP.

Junk is junk and no amount of arguing in the world is going to convince me otherwise.

"It's a good modding platform." - no, it isn't.
"MINE sounded great right out of the box." - really? through what? Your 6" speaker on your 5w Gorilla amp?
"The fit and finish were awesome." - compared to what? A guitar run over by a truck?
"Mine sounds excellent through my ________" - Some people have never played a quality guitar through a quality amp.

I really think it is either people don't know any better, or just want to justify to themselves that the stuff they own is of good quality, when, in reality, it just plain isn't.

Save your money and buy something decent.

• Members

Having 5 $100 SX's or having 5 $2500 Les Pauls, whats the difference? They are still 5 of the same guitar.

It's all in what you are willing to spend.

If someone needs to have 5 different tunings and needs 5 guitars then there ya have it.

• Members

gotta agree with the OP.

Junk is junk and no amount of arguing in the world is going to convince me otherwise.

"It's a good modding platform." - no, it isn't.

"MINE sounded great right out of the box." - really? through what? Your 6" speaker on your 5w Gorilla amp?

"The fit and finish were awesome." - compared to what? A guitar run over by a truck?

"Mine sounds excellent through my ________" - Some people have never played a quality guitar through a quality amp.

I really think it is either people don't know any better, or just want to justify to themselves that the stuff they own is of good quality, when, in reality, it just plain isn't.

Save your money and buy something decent.

Good thing you're hear to piss all over their deluded happiness. As usual.

• Members

A guitar is rarely worth any more than you pay for it, but SX's are decent backup guitars for the price. They basically function as a guitar is supposed to.

My brother spent a lot of time and money getting an MIM Strat with a warped neck to play right, and he paid more for it than an SX costs to begin with.

I can afford to leave mine at a friend's house so I don't have to carry a guitar when we practice there.

• Members

Kids today don't know how good they have it.

Back in the day, we used to have to play guitars that were completely crap.

Horrible build quality, dead sound, unplayable necks, razor sharp fret ends... and we LOVED IT.

I used to walk to and from band rehearsal uphill both ways in the driving snow just for the pleasure of ripping off the tips of my fingers while playing my little heart out...

Kids today don't appreciate what they have.

:D

M

• Members
Kids today don't know how good they have it.

Back in the day, we used to have to play guitars that were completely crap.

Horrible build quality, dead sound, unplayable necks, razor sharp fret ends... and we LOVED IT.

I used to walk to and from band rehearsal uphill both ways in the driving snow just for the pleasure of ripping off the tips of my fingers while playing my little heart out...

Kids today don't appreciate what they have.

:D

M

There is wisdom in what you say here grasshopper.....except for the walking uphill both ways, in the snow, and ripping your fingers off part. Was that hyperbole or just sarcasm...? :poke:

The first Japanese made solid body I had in the 60's did pretty much fit your description, though. If I'd have gotten the "cheap" $99.99 SX I now have back then, I'd have thought my father had robbed a bank...:)

• Members

I've owned SX, Squier, Peavey, Yamaha, Xaviere and a few other cheapie brands.

SX are okay, but given that you can get a MIA Peavey or a Yamaha that are higher quality for the same coin or less, it just isn't worth it. If the Peavey and Yamaha are nicer guitars, and they can be had for the same amount or less, why isn't that a better modding platform.

And of the above brands, the only one I still own is Yamaha.

• Members

SX are okay, but given that you can get a MIA Peavey or a Yamaha that are higher quality for the same coin or less, it just isn't worth it. If the Peavey and Yamaha are nicer guitars, and they can be had for the same amount or less, why isn't that a better modding platform.

And of the above brands, the only one I still own is Yamaha.

Only problem with peaveys and yamaha alot of them have too small of a neck. The Falcon though is very nice.

• Members

SX are okay, but given that you can get a MIA Peavey or a Yamaha that are higher quality for the same coin or less, it just isn't worth it. ...

Forget less, how many MIA Peaveys, or Yamahas have YOU seen for $100? :poke:

• Members
Forget less, how many MIA Peaveys, or Yamahas have YOU seen for $100? :poke:

Just last week I picked up a MIA Peavey T-15 in very good condition for $69 at a Guitar Center here in Dallas.

There are currently 3 MIA predators for under $100 at GC's used site (one even includes the case):
peavey100.jpg

• Members
Just last week I picked up a MIA Peavey T-15 in very good condition for $69 at a Guitar Center here in Dallas.

There are currently 3 MIA predators for under $100 at GC's used site (one even includes the case):

peavey100.jpg

OK. I don't mind being wrong, as long as I can see the proof. :cool:

Archived