Just played an SX Strat on my work break

elsupermanny14

• Members

I was pretty bored at work and decided to go for a walk. I had googled local music stores in the area and to my surprise there was a guitar shop a block from my work. It's called Flashback Guitars in Oakland. I talked with the guy there who I am assuming is the owner/tech/everything. Nice guy!

Anyways it was interesting because he had some guitar brands that are often discussed in this forum that you just do not see anywhere. He had an LP Agile with P90 and an SX Stratocaster. I asked him about the Agile and he said it was his friends who he was doing some work. So I didn't ask to play on it. I did ask him if I could play the SX though. He let plug into any amp I wanted which was kool cuz he had a 68 Princeton Reverb, a 74 Champ, and a couple other really awesome old amps.

I plugged into the Champ and fiddled around on the guitar for a bit (didn't do anything to crazy cuz I didn't want to overstay my welcome). So after having played the SX I just don't see what the craze is all about? It's on par with my Squier. But the thing is I already have a Squier and an MIM Strat that is pretty awesome. Why would I go in and get another cheap guitar when I could save my money and get a nicer guitar then I already have or that Champ that I played? HAHA.

I would have trouble justifying spending money on a guitar that is the equivalent to a cheap guitar that I alreay have. Not trying to start a debate or anything just my two cents. I guess rather then spend money on all these cheap guitars wouldn't you rather have 3 or 4 guitars that are just phenominal? Why have an SX, Agile, Xaviere, and a Squier when you could have one really nice Strat, a really nice Les Paul, a hollow body, and maybe a 4th guitar for different tunning?

I do have to say though. I do plan on bringing my guitar in to him to work and see what kind of service they provide. Real mom and pop shop all the way. Defiitely down to support his cause.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Of course SX's aren't great guitars. But they're cheap enough to use as a decent mod platform. I'd be surprised if anyone on this forum has a stock SX and plans on keeping it that way.

And for your comment about buying Squiers, Agiles, etc instead of nicer guitars, I can only say that not everyone has the money. I'm a poor college student. My next purchase will probably be an Agile or a Squier because I need a decent beater and that's all I can afford. Yes, I could save up for a nicer guitar, but I'd rather put that money towards my tuition and student loan debt.

• Members

I'm a poor college student. My next purchase will probably be an Agile or a Squier because I need a decent beater and that's all I can afford. Yes, I could save up for a nicer guitar, but I'd rather put that money towards my tuition and student loan debt.

I understand all the way. I just graduated last year and have a lot in loans. If you look at the guitars in my sig the nicest thing I have is an MIM Strat. I guess I'm just trying to say is if you have one decent guitar and say a beater (like what's in my sig), what is the purpose of going out and buying a third or fourth guitar that isn't any better then what you already have?

• Members

I was pretty bored at work and decided to go for a walk. I had googled local music stores in the area and to my surprise there was a guitar shop a block from my work. It's called Flashback Guitars in Oakland. I talked with the guy there who I am assuming is the owner/tech/everything. Nice guy!

Anyways it was interesting because he had some guitar brands that are often discussed in this forum that you just do not see anywhere. He had an LP Agile with P90 and an SX Stratocaster. I asked him about the Agile and he said it was his friends who he was doing some work. So I didn't ask to play on it. I did ask him if I could play the SX though. He let plug into any amp I wanted which was kool cuz he had a 68 Princeton Reverb, a 74 Champ, and a couple other really awesome old amps.

I plugged into the Champ and fiddled around on the guitar for a bit (didn't do anything to crazy cuz I didn't want to overstay my welcome). So after having played the SX I just don't see what the craze is all about? It's on par with my Squier. But the thing is I already have a Squier and an MIM Strat that is pretty awesome. Why would I go in and get another cheap guitar when I could save my money and get a nicer guitar then I already have or that Champ that I played? HAHA.

I would have trouble justifying spending money on a guitar that is the equivalent to a cheap guitar that I alreay have. Not trying to start a debate or anything just my two cents. I guess rather then spend money on all these cheap guitars wouldn't you rather have 3 or 4 guitars that are just phenominal? Why have an SX, Agile, Xaviere, and a Squier when you could have one really nice Strat, a really nice Les Paul, a hollow body, and maybe a 4th guitar for different tunning?

I do have to say though. I do plan on bringing my guitar in to him to work and see what kind of service they provide. Real mom and pop shop all the way. Defiitely down to support his cause.

not everyone is you?

• Members

I prefer average/normal slutty girls over the expensive ones...
wait, are we talking about guitars?

I like having a wide palette of low cost guitars. Not 1 or 2 that I would be scared to play or take anywhere because I have too much invested.

• Members

How much were they asking for it? You should be able to get a used SX strat for no more than $75. You said it was on par with your Squier, which makes it a pretty good deal for less than half the cost of a Squier.

• Members

How much were they asking for it? You should be able to get a used SX strat for no more than $75. You said it was on par with your Squier, which makes it a pretty good deal for less than half the cost of a Squier.

Same as new. They are like $150-$175ish? He had it at $200 I'm willing to bet he would let him self get haggled down a bit haha.

• Members

I actually almost pulled the trigger on an Xaviere XV550 over the weekend until my parents said they would help me out with getting a new guitar as a birthday present coming in April.

I need a dual humbucker guitar and i liked the price and I had been curious for so long I almost went for it. But the last time I got a new guitar was in 2002 and I gave my parents a nice little college diploma last year haha. So they owe me big this year. I figured I would take what they're going to offer $500 and throw in whatever I can save up from now until then and hopefully come on top with a used Les Paul Studio or SG.

• Members

I don't mean go out and buy a guitar that's $3k or anything like that. But I mean maybe a nice Les Paul Studio or a HWY1 Strat would be a more suitable investment for a long term quality instrument that does not need anymore money thrown into it.

Both of those guitars need immediate pickup swaps IMO....

• Members

I understand what you are saying and I think that we're just lucky to have the vast selection at so many price points in this day and age. Even just 10 years ago you couldn't get a guitar nearly as playable for the price as you can today.

I went through my cheap guitar phase and to be honest it wasn't because I loved cheap guitars it was because that was all I could afford at the time. If it wasn't for cheap guitars I wouldn't have been able to play at all.

I tried to stick with them, but in the end it just didn't cut it. Of course having the means to buy something a bit more expensive (I'm talking $1600 tops here, not $3K or something) just made it harder to deal with them.

I can appreciate the love for the cheap guitar and they definitely have their place. But I don't understand the bashing from the other side and I don't buy into the 'my $100 guitar is the best I've ever played it's better than that $3K guitar' line of crap. I would love to see them choose that $100 guitar over the $3K guitar if they were offered to choose one as a present.

• Members

I'd be surprised if anyone on this forum has a stock SX and plans on keeping it that way.

My ash P90 sst is still stock. Plays and sounds great, although I hear the ash series is generally better quality than the standards. My only gripe is that the p90s in mine aren't rwrp, not a big deal though.

• Members

I think the SX guitar are mostly garbage. But I know they fill a niche and they do that well. They are great mod platforms, and they make stellar projects. But I have owned for 4 now and none of them were the same quality as Squier standard guitars.

• Members

I think the SX guitar are mostly garbage. But I know they fill a niche and they do that well. They are great mod platforms, and they make stellar projects. But I have owned for 4 now and none of them were the same quality as Squier standard guitars.

I'm not saying they are garbage because I was pleasantly surprised by how well it played. I'm just saying everyone has their cheapo guitar in their arsenal. I have a Squier Affinity Strat. I just don't see the hype in the SX guitars that warrants getting a whole bunch of them. The price you pay for 4 cheap guitars can get you one awesome guitar.

If you're starting out and need a cheap first guitar or a cheap second guitar for more variety in your sound I definitely see how they fill that need. I just don't see the point in having 3 or 4 of these. But anyways... that was just my thought after having played an SX today. Not trying to start an argument or anything.

• Members

also, knowing how to set up your guitar can go a long way these days...

Now that I know how to set up a guitar, I can get my SX playing just as good as my Hwy 1 or my old Am std. They do sound different though, but nothing some new pickups can't change :thu:

• Members

That's the most politically correct non argumentative answer anyone could have given haha.

I'm not saying they are garbage because I was pleasantly surprised by how well it played. I'm just saying everyone has their cheapo guitar in their arsenal. I have a Squier Affinity Strat. I just don't see the hype in the SX guitars that warrants getting a whole bunch of them. The price you pay for 4 cheap guitars can get you one awesome guitar.

If you're starting out and need a cheap first guitar or a cheap second guitar for more variety in your sound I definitely see how they fill that need. I just don't see the point in having 3 or 4 of these. But anyways... that was just my thought after having played an SX today. Not trying to start an argument or anything.

I didn't mean to come off like I was arguing with you. I actually agree. And I agree you can get a lot for the money with cheapies these days.

• Members

The SX instruments serve their purpose and I think the quality level is actually pretty impressive for the little they cost.
Is a Squier std strat better quality than an SX one?
Sure, it also cost $130 more than the SX.
I had a ton of fun modding and setting up an SX tele that I eventually gave to a friends daughter.
I doubt I would ever I buy another SX electric but was blown away with the quality of an SX acoustic I bought from Rondo a few years ago.
A totally different league from the SX electrics.
Of course it was $150 at the time, expensive for an SX.
DSC_0311.jpg
DSC_0313.jpg
DSC_0317.jpg
DSC_0312.jpg
DSC_0315.jpg
DSC_0314.jpg
DSC_0316.jpg

• Members

If he's charging $200 for an SX Strat, I would ask about the price for a set-up before handing a guitar over to him.
I have two Squiers and an SX Tele. It's nice to be able to switch around when I feel like it, and if it wasn't for sompanies like SX, I could probably only afford to have one guitar at this point (mortagage, two in college, etc.)

• Members

While I generally agree that Squier overall build quality is better than an SX, it's the SX neck which sets them apart. There is no Squier neck which comes close to the chunky necks with a modern flat radius and in my experience while SX's tend to need a little fret TLC, every Squier within a stones throw of the same price required much, much more. Honestly, even MIM necks don't spec the same. Clearly a matter of taste, but the their necks are what makes them keepers for me. Those calling SX guitars garbage, one man's trash is another's treasure...

• Members

While I generally agree that Squier overall build quality is better than an SX, it's the SX neck which sets them apart. There is no Squier neck which comes close to the chunky necks with a modern flat radius and in my experience while SX's tend to need a little fret TLC, every Squier within a stones throw of the same price required much, much more. Honestly, even MIM necks don't spec the same. Clearly a matter of taste, but the their necks are what makes them keepers for me. Those calling SX guitars garbage, one man's trash is another's treasure...

I definitely agree that the neck had a nice solid feel to it. So moving onto a slightly different topic. Who do you think makes better necks? Xaviere or SX guitars?

Archived