Telecasters playing heavy music... Let's hear your thoughts?

elsupermanny14

• Members

Seriously I think about it a lot everytime I listen to Rage. I remember one time I was guitar center and I was trying out a Mesa Boogie with a standard Telecaster and the sales guy came up to me and said "you're trying that amp out with THAT guitar?" and he looked at me like I was an idiot. He then told me how he didn't think a Telecaster was a suitable guitar for the amp and I should try it with a "heavier" guitar.

I always think back on that and it reminds of how a lot of people think Telecasters are these little wussy twang only guitars. So I just wanted to make a post about Telecasters playing some heavy music. WITHOUT ACTIVE PICKUPS. Think of the following songs, Killin in the Name, Freedom, The Unforgiven II, and I am sure there are plenty more.

Anyways if you like watching Teles tear it up post up a comment, personal experience, or some kool videos.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

depending on the tele, the bridge pickup that comes with it might be a bit shrill for heavy distortion -- but absolutely, with the right pup, anything's possible. I am a big tele guy, I love 'em, I use them and I don't play anything country or twangy really.

the new MIM teles with the "hot" pickup actually are pretty damn warm and pretty hot as well. great for a variety of distortion.

• Members

Black Francis knocked the {censored} out a Telecaster through a roaring Soldando when I saw the Pixies in 93. KILLER show!

I would have told that GC employee to get the {censored} outta my face.

which one though? The dual humbucker monstrosity or his awesome late 60s Tele?

The dude from Rush rocked out on a Tele sometimes :thu:

It is true you don't often see trad Teles and high gain

• Members

i'd say that my tele sees the least amount of live use.

however, i have pulled it out on stage from time to time and played it when i'm feeling like i need to be different. that said, it holds it's own - BUT it's not really the choice guitar for the tones i'm searching for...

• Members

Seriously I think about it a lot everytime I listen to Rage. I remember one time I was guitar center and I was trying out a Mesa Boogie with a standard Telecaster and the sales guy came up to me and said "you're trying that amp out with THAT guitar?" and he looked at me like I was an idiot. He then told me how he didn't think a Telecaster was a suitable guitar for the amp and I should try it with a "heavier" guitar.

I always think back on that and it reminds of how a lot of people think Telecasters are these little wussy twang only guitars. So I just wanted to make a post about Telecasters playing some heavy music. WITHOUT ACTIVE PICKUPS. Think of the following songs,
Killin in the Name, Freedom, The Unforgiven II,
and I am sure there are plenty more.

Anyways if you like watching Teles tear it up post up a comment, personal experience, or some kool videos.

I had a similar experience to this, man.

This happened around the beginning of last June. I was hanging out at Guitar Center, and they had this BEAUTIFUL (like, heavenly) used G&L ASAT. It was a Classic Bluesboy Semi-Hollow in that deep orange finish. Yes, I like the color orange. Anyway, I picked it up off the wall and sat down to play it in the sound room where they have all the expensive used stuff. These two little emo/hardcore/what-the-{censored}-ever kids were sitting there chugging away with ESPs on Mesas. One of the kids looks up at me and says, "Nice guitar, Grandpa. How the {censored} are you ever gonna get anything heavy out of that?" I'm 19, and I appreciate GOOD music, btw. These kids keep chugging away like they're badass, and I wait. When they're done, I plug into an Orange AD140, and crank it up and just start playing a bunch of old blues licks followed by some Tex-Mex/Tejano stuff (I really like latin jazz and all that). They kinda just stared at me and were like, "Can you even play metal?"

I plugged into the Mesa and started playing a bunch of old Judas Priest and stuff like that. The kids put their guitars down and were like "{censored}in' a."

GE-GL-TributeASATClassicBluesboy_01.jpg

• Members

Seriously I think about it a lot everytime I listen to Rage.

I remember one time I was guitar center and I was trying out a
Mesa Boogie with a standard Telecaster
and the sales guy came up to me and said "you're trying that amp out with THAT guitar?" and he looked at me like I was an idiot.

He then told me how he didn't think a Telecaster was a suitable guitar for the amp and I should try it with a "heavier" guitar.

I always think back on that and it reminds of how a lot of people think Telecasters are these little wussy twang only guitars. So I just wanted to make a post about Telecasters playing some heavy music. WITHOUT ACTIVE PICKUPS. Think of the following songs,
Killin in the Name, Freedom, The Unforgiven II,
and I am sure there are plenty more.

Just listen what a Tele with "regular" single coil pick ups can sound like in the right hands.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=351575&content=music - most of the clips is a Tele.

...a 100% stock Tele into a Recto sounds pretty bloody good to me :evil:

efARwpSxvoE

kDulzkRMo4A

19738282_c9e60a0397_b.jpg

;)

Archived