Is Slash the new Zakk?

RaVenCAD

• Members

Obviously, Slash has been around for ages and is all kinds of awesome, however...... Is it just me or is he pimping anything he can get his tophat on these days? It reminds me of the massive marketing push that Zakk was featured in a couple years ago. Like Slash, Zakk had always been a fixture in the guitar world, but suddenly his ugly, screaming barbarian mug was everywhere..

I just hate to see respected players pimping so much stuff. Sure, sponsors pay the bills, but most of em don't even use the gear they're pushing.. This is especially true in Slash's case with that "Appetite" Les Paul.. The original wasn't even a Gibson!

(as I type this, Slash is in an ad at the top pushing picks that can be found in packs of Ernie Ball strings..)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I been noticing that a hell of a lot more lately too. If you really give it consideration though... do you blame him?

His top hat, dark glasses, and curly hair are what has made him stand out. Thus making him a poster child for guitar gear these days.

Rock n roll is Slash these days and face it - sex sells! I dont mean to sound homosexual at all but to me there is nothing sexier than

Slash ripping up a solo with a Les Paul in his hands. :thu:

• Members

oh I don't blame him at all.. Sell it while you can.. I'm just commenting on the recent explosion of Slash related items. It really seems to have started when he pimped Guitar Hero. Till then, he had sort of vanished from the public eye except for his attempts at reinventing GNR without Axl..

And for the record, Slash is the reason I picked up my first guitar, so I'm not trying to be negative about him at all..

• Members

oh I don't blame him at all.. Sell it while you can.. I'm just commenting on the recent explosion of Slash related items. It really seems to have started when he pimped Guitar Hero. Till then, he had sort of vanished from the public eye except for his attempts at reinventing GNR without Axl..

And for the record, Slash is the reason I picked up my first guitar, so I'm not trying to be negative about him at all..

i thought you despised shills:confused::poke:;)

• Members

After dealing with the idiot Axlegrease do you blame the man for grabbing everything he can? This is America I say go for it man. It is like Gene Simmons. Like or hate the man people know who Kiss is and they make money with the music and marketing in quantities that put all the combined income of this board to shame.

• Members

After dealing with the idiot Axlegrease do you blame the man for grabbing everything he can? This is America I say go for it man. It is like Gene Simmons. Like or hate the man people know who Kiss is and they make money with the music and marketing in quantities that put all the combined income of this board to shame.

With a kiss of real cherry flavor:thu:

• Members

In an attempt to resuscitate a dying career and overcome his growing irrelevance, Slash is doing the only thing he can: capitalize on his "brand" before the flame goes out entirely. Can't say as I blame him, but the meta-irony is fascinating, given that the genre was reduced to a parody of itself more than a decade ago.

And the comparisons to Kiss are right on the money. I understand they're now developing a children's television show: http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=487398&affid=100055

• Members

In an attempt to resuscitate a dying career and overcome his growing irrelevance, he's doing the only thing he can: capitalize on his "brand" as a symbol of a genre that's been reduced to a parody of itself before the flame goes out entirely. Can't say as I blame him, but the meta-irony is fascinating.

What planet are you living on? His career isnt dying. He has a new album due out soon. How is that a dying career? Hell even Ozzy has a new album coming out. Ozzy is 20+ yrs older than Slash. Both have new albums coming out. Do you think Ozzy's career is dying too? Do explain. :confused:

• Members

What planet are you living on? His career isnt dying. He has a new album due out soon. How is that a dying career? Hell even Ozzy has a new album coming out. Ozzy is 20+ yrs older than Slash. Both have new albums coming out. Do you think Ozzy's career is dying too? Do explain.
:confused:

If the album doesn't sell, that would be a dying career right? It could even be that their new album is the album that will end their career. Time will tell. Ozzy's career has been dead for twenty years, if his wife wouldn't have resuscitated him time after time, he would have been buried and forgotten by now. So give his wife the credits, not the man himself, he is the one who sometimes looks like he doesn't realize on what planet he lives.

Don't get me wrong, I like both gentleman and the music they make, but their career will end one day or another.

And it's always nice to make some extra bucks, even if your name is Slash, it is always very tempting. I don't blame him, I would do the same.

• Members

What planet are you living on? His career isnt dying. He has a new album due out soon. How is that a dying career? Hell even Ozzy has a new album coming out. Ozzy is 20+ yrs older than Slash. Both have new albums coming out. Do you think Ozzy's career is dying too? Do explain.
:confused:

I'm living on the planet that recognizes the marketing stunts of 45- and 62-year old anachronisms trying to cash in on the fading memory of their glory days. This is Spinal Tap proved that life indeed imitates art, but apparently some didn't get the memo that it was intended as satire.

• Members

I'm living on the planet that recognizes the marketing stunts of 45- and 62-year old anachronisms trying to cash in on the fading memory of their glory days.
This is Spinal Tap
proved that life indeed imitates art, but apparently some didn't get the memo that is was satire.

I love old school :thu:

• Members

Jimi Hendrix endorses more stuff than either of 'em. However, he has a pretty good excuse on the grounds of being dead.

And some of his signature products are made by companies (Digitech, Dean Markley) which didn't even exist when he was alive.

• Members

And the comparisons to Kiss are right on the money. I understand they're now developing a children's television show:

That's nothing new for Simmons. He was behind a Canadian made cartoon a few years back, My Dad the Rock Star, about a tween who has to put up with the antics of his weird family, including his over the hill shock rocker dad Rock Zilla. Rock's physical appearance was very obviously based on Gene, although their personalities were rather different.

• Members

Slash always stood for waiving that middle finger at being corporate and just playing rock and roll. He wore budwiser shirts and smoked cigarettes on TV, which is a "no no" in our politically correct society.

It seems to bizarre to see this guy shilling so many products.

• Members

If Slash is the new Zakk, then who's Zakk now?

Isn't he doing those Geico caveman commercials now?

Dice, that's a good point. I guess it comes down to the body of someone's work and the respect they've earned.. Slash has a most impressive body of work and tons of rock and roll credability built over a 25+ year career of living the life.. Sure he's a shill, but he's also the coolest cat ever to put on a black leather tophat..

• Members

Isn't he doing those Geico caveman commercials now?

Dice, that's a good point. I guess it comes down to the body of someone's work and the respect they've earned.. Slash has a most impressive body of work and tons of rock and roll credability built over a 25+ year career of living the life.. Sure he's a shill, but he's also the coolest cat ever to put on a black leather tophat..

something we totally agree on sir... Slash is teh {censored}:thu:

Archived