Making a speaker cable:

paul6string

• Members

Does it matter which wire goes to the tip, and which goes to the sleeve as far as copper vs. silver?

Probably no but I'm not entirely certain about what does "cooper vs. silver" mean.

If you are just asking whether it matters which wire you solder to the tip on both sides and which to the sleeve, then the answer is no and that holds for any two conductor cable...

• Members

Probably no but I'm not entirely certain about what does "cooper vs. silver" mean.

He's talking about one conductor being silver looking and the other looking a bit more copper. Not really sure what the difference is in conductivity, but I'd probably go with copper for the tip on both ends.

• Members

Makes no difference, as long as you are consistent with both ends. Convention would be to make the tip the marked wire, or the positive. One conductor has some silver strands, so you can identify one conductor from the other. Some wires have small ribs on one side of the plastic to identify, and some have a colored fiber along with one side of the wire.

oldMattB

• Members

He's talking about one conductor being silver looking and the other looking a bit more copper. Not really sure what the difference is in conductivity, but I'd probably go with copper for the tip on both ends.

sounds like he is talking about a single copper core with a silver (woven) screen.

• Members

Makes no difference, as long as you are consistent with both ends. Convention would be to make the tip the marked wire, or the positive. One conductor has some silver strands, so you can identify one conductor from the other. Some wires have small ribs on one side of the plastic to identify, and some have a colored fiber along with one side of the wire.

oldMattB

+1.

Having silver and copper in the same cable just differientiates so it is easier to match up + and - on the other end.

Makes no difference which one you hook up to + or -, just keep them consistent.

• Members

You may want to consider, a lot of the "speaker" cable with copper/"silver" conductors that's out there now actually uses steel wire on the silver side. Used to be tinned copper mostly, but the Chinese figured a better way. May not matter much on short low power runs, but I'd rather have copper all around. I usually just buy 16ga ext cords and whack the ends off. Cheaper that buying bulk zip cord.

• Members

Copper versus silver? You're not using shielded cable, are you?

To the op. Make sure you understand what JL is talking about here. YOU do NOT want to use a shielded cable for speaker wiring. If you don't know why use google.

• Members

Cool. On the net it's sometimes difficult to know where someone is coming from so I decided to err on the cautious side rather than worry about possibly insulting you. Hope you get it.

Anyway you already have your wiring answer. Just be consistent.

• Members
...that's funny I thought I was in the electric guitar fourm not the DIY Speaker cable section

People who play electric guitar also need amps. Or didn't you know this? You see "how to" questions here all of the time Get the phuck over it!
:cop:

• Members

I used the bulk lamp cord from Home Depot and bought Neutrik 1/4" Jumbo plugs from a seller on ebay. Works great and you can custom fit lengths for whatever amp/cab combination you use most, opting for the shortest possible length as you're able to.

• Members

I don't absolutely have to make one, but I would like this one to be a specific length. I wouldn't expect a quality speaker cable for $3.00 though.

Is it for a PA that you move around, or a permanent installation like a stereo system? Unless you're moving things about, there's no reason whatsoever to look for "quality speaker cable". Snake oil. A coat hanger works just fine.

• Members

Polarity is only important if the speakers are very close together...like multiple speakers in a cab.

Once you separate speakers by a few feet, phase considerations really fly out the window. Speed of sound vs the wavelengths you are dealing with and all.

So basically you realy shouldn't care that much if you are dealing with cable for PA speakers.

• Members

Polarity is only important if the speakers are very close together...like multiple speakers in a cab.

Once you separate speakers by a few feet, phase considerations really fly out the window. Speed of sound vs the wavelengths you are dealing with and all.

So basically you realy shouldn't care that much if you are dealing with cable for PA speakers.

This is incorrect.

• Members

I'm not sure about the phasing issues and really don't care. I wire everything the same way every time. Just a good habit to be in. BTW I have a large roll of 16 awg. I got free years ago. It has imbedded lettering on one half. I always use this half for tip/+. This throws the hypotheticals right in the crapper.

• Members

...that's funny I thought I was in the electric guitar fourm not the DIY Speaker cable section

You're absolutely correct! I was looking for the DIY speaker cable forum, but it was sooo busy that it was temporarily unavailable, so here I am in this forum. I deeply regret that you wasted 30 seconds reading my post.

• Members

You may want to consider, a lot of the "speaker" cable with copper/"silver" conductors that's out there now actually uses steel wire on the silver side. Used to be tinned copper mostly, but the Chinese figured a better way. May not matter much on short low power runs, but I'd rather have copper all around. I usually just buy 16ga ext cords and whack the ends off. Cheaper that buying bulk zip cord.

That's a good idea also. I'm assuming you're speaking of 2 conductor stuff like xmas tree light cords, and not the 3 wire stuff? I have spools of free speaker wire at my job, so it's the free stuff for now, and as long as possible.

Archived