Why isn't this guitar more popular?

docjeffrey

• Members

The only Red Special I've played was a custom-made, true to original specs for a collector, and the neck was the first one that truly made me think of a baseball bat. It was just 'yuge! I've kind of written off all of the RS I've seen because I figured I wouldn't like the neck carve. I prefer a wide-thin neck.

Yeah, those are supposed to be insane. I've read that the original RS is almost unplayable to a lot of people because the neck is so huge and that the BMG ones (as well as the Guilds and others prior) had the neck profiles made smaller.

My RS has a substantial neck, but it's not any chunkier than a Gibson 50's style which I prefer anyway.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Contraversial in the sense of it's not for everyone? Yeah, I agree. Kind of like Rickenbackers.

Exactly.

Plus, it's got a weird scale, fat neck, complicated (and unfamiliar) electronics, etc. As someone else said, this is one of those guitars that I've only ever seen one guy play (since he built it), so that may have something to do with it.

Sort of like Jerry Garcia's guitars. I'd love to have one, like a Tiger or Wolf, but I don't know how many other guitarists would jump on it, especially as an import line.

• Members

Exactly.

Plus, it's got a weird scale, fat neck, complicated (and unfamiliar) electronics, etc. As someone else said, this is one of those guitars that I've only ever seen one guy play (since he built it), so that may have something to do with it.

Sort of like Jerry Garcia's guitars. I'd love to have one, like a Tiger or Wolf, but I don't know how many other guitarists would jump on it, especially as an import line.

Yeah, but within 5 minutes of playing it you'd get the electronics figured out. It's extremely simple in reality.

As for the scale and neck that's a legitimate concern because to me the neck is what makes or breaks it. In this case it's absolutely fantastic to me and just feels natural. The only neck that is better is on my Axis.

• Members

Jeez, the switches are simple. The top row represent the pickups on or off. As long as you are just doing standard switching you can leave the phase switches alone. If you get worried about them you can turn each pickup out of phase with the corresponding switch in the second row.

I know for a fact that everyone here is smart enough to figure it out.

• Members

Yeah, but within 5 minutes of playing it you'd get the electronics figured out. It's extremely simple in reality.

Yeah, that's why I added the "unfamiliar" part. It's just different, and people generally don't like different (speaking of the average consumer). I've never played one, but I'd like to someday. I've always heard the neck is a monster, so that's why I've avoided 'em. But I'm getting to where I don't mind a fat neck as much these days.

• Members
Jeez, the switches are simple. The top row represent the pickups on or off. As long as you are just doing standard switching you can leave the phase switches alone. If you get worried about them you can turn each pickup out of phase with the corresponding switch in the second row.

And once you take the square root of the cosine, you're all set! :lol:

• Members

It has nothing to do with figuring them out. When I'm onstage and want to switch back and forth between the neck/middle position and the bridge during a song, it's way too much of a PIA in my opinion. I got rid of my jag for the same reason.

• Members

I think it's just a lot to spend for what most players is a novelty.

Sure it may be good enough to stand on it's own as a guitar model, but for most consumers it's probably just viewed as being the guitar the guy from queen played. That in itself isn't strong enough to pull in that many sales.

• Members

These days I make conscious effort to steer clear of all sig guitars. How could you play a strat with guitarists names scrawled all over them(even though it may be Eric Clapton!) or even a worn out "new" Rory strat.As much as I respect those players and they are awesome musicians, I could never play one of those. It's kind of....Brian May's, and no one else has a right to use one.

• Members

I had a friend who owned the Guild version. If I was in the market for this guitar, I'd go hunt down a Guild version. The burns version is a budget version

As always, you don't know wtf you're talking about and you wouldn't know a great guitar if it bit you on the ass. Burns doesn't make the Brian May guitar. He has his own company now, and unless you've tried one, I suggest that you go back to your obscene collection of historics.

• Members

By the way, the bands for the "We will Rock You" shows all over the world used both the Burns and new BM versions of the guitar. They would get new ones every three months. Those guys and girls loved the new BM version, and if you've seen the show, there's no doubt about how great these things play and sound.

• Members

These days I make conscious effort to steer clear of all sig guitars. How could you play a strat with guitarists names scrawled all over them(even though it may be Eric Clapton!) or even a worn out "new" Rory strat.As much as I respect those players and they are awesome musicians, I could never play one of those. It's kind of....Brian May's, and no one else has a right to use one.

Then you better get rid of all of your Les Pauls because they are signature guitars.

Oh, and Brian May would disagree with you. He wants everyone to have a reasonable and affordable facsimile of his Red Special which is why he is so involved in its development.

• Members

In BM's own words:

I was concerned that it ought to be me personally who controlled the manufacture of these instruments, and so I have teamed up with Barry Moorhouse of House Music, and Pete Malandrone, my long-time tech man, and we have created, our aim being to make the absolute best product at an affordable price, so that all may enjoy the special sound and feel of a Brian May guitar.

--Brian May

• Members
677907.jpg
679202.jpg

I love the sunburst and the black versions, but I'd have to try the guitar before I paid out any $$$. I'm definitely a fan of the fat neck but I'd have to see if I bonded with the scale length.

Maybe tune it to F#? :idea:

Archived