help me straighten my vintage warped gibson pickguard?

flyinbryan

• Members

i have a 1959 gibson es 175dn that some of you might have seen.

100_1266.jpg

100_1274.jpg

100_1268.jpg

100_1252.jpg

its hard to tell in the pics but the pickguard is warped. its dished downward in the center, sort of like a bowl (hard to describe)

is there a way i could flatten it back out without risking damage or hurting its value? i googled "straightening a warped pickguard and came up with a wide array of possible methods to try, such as clamping it flat and submerging it in very hot water, or laying it out in the sun while clamping it flat.

it seems to be fairly flexible even for being as old as it is, enough so that ive flattened it out by hand (which of course it springs right back warped when released.

i figured i'd get the experts opinions on the matter before i try anything.

im not opposed to just leaving it alone, but if there is a simple method, i wouldnt mind trying it.

thx, bryan.

• Members

Me, I'd just make a new one out of material from Stew-Mac or whoever (I'd probably want a tortoise one), and lock up the original one in a safe deposit box or whatever so in the unlikely event you ever want to sell it, you can include the original as part of the deal.

• Members

If it's celluloid, it's extremely flammable.

Yep. You could try heating the underside with a blow dryer and pushing it out with your thumbs, but old celluloid is pretty brittle.

Get a replacement and relic it up a bit to look like the old one.

• Members

I've never done this so it's just a suggestion that could be horribly wrong:

I would think that you could sandwich it between 2 pieces of cloth (maybe felt or a thick tshirt) and use a warm iron to slightly heat it up.

Again, try this at your own risk, I've never done it and it might cause damage

• Members

Since it's old and it's a laminate, I think I'd be extremely cautious about using heat. Might just come apart on you, or buckle even worse. I'd vote for doing nothing unless you can get info from someone who's had experience with the same kind of pg.

• Members

This is kind of a strange solution but it will probably work because I've tried it before on other things with good success. I have a clamshell t-shirt transfer heat press at my shop. Its flat as hell and you can set it at any temp you like.

Your hardest task will be finding someone who has one. If you do you can pop it in there at around 300 degrees for 10 seconds. When you pull it out quickly sandwich it between two flat pieces of board, glass, metal what ever you have handy with something heavy on top for pressure while it cools.

Once it cools it should be flat.

Try at your own risk though.

OR

you can just have another one made. It shouldn't cost too much unless your trying to keep that one stock.

• Members

If it's fake tortoise it's most likely celluloid. This stuff is very unstable, and if you expose it to extremes in heat it could just accelerate the deteriation.

Celluloid "gasses off" and the process, once begun, can get worse fast. A little warpage at first, then crazing, then crystalization where it falls apart. If your guitar is kept mostly in the case the gas can cause serious tarnish and pitting to the brightwork, tuners, PU's, tail piece. My sincere advice is to get it off the guitar as soon as possible. Find or make a relacement as quck as you can. And don't store the original in the case with the guitar.

Not trying to panic you, but I've seen a lot of this, and it can happen quickly.

• Members

ya, i think ima just leave it be. i have it removed from the guitar, and to be honest, i might just leave it off for a while. i might just store it somewhere with a little weight on it and see what a little time like that does for it. just a few oz's, not even enough to compress it flat.

if it doesnt do anything, so be it.

after seeing that video, and hearing about deadly gasses, and flammability, screw using any kind of heat.

the bright parts of the guitar arent that bright anymore, but i dont know if its from having the pickguard on it, could be i suppose, but then again it is a 51 year old guitar.

im sure having fun playing it everyday. it sounds so rich, and bright, even unplugged (which is the way i play it most of the time) and the action is so good on it, its just effortless fretting.

thx again guys

Archived