So I tried 11-50 Boomers on one of my guitars today...

RufusFussbuster

• Members
I always found that boomers feel a guage heavier than their d'adarrio counterparts. Is it just me?

I've always strung my Paul w/ .10-.46 Boomers and they definitely do feel heavier to me than the D'addario 10's I use on my other guitars. I use D'addario 11's on my Tele and they feel just a tiny bit heavier than the Boomer 10's.

• Members
I always found that boomers feel a guage heavier than their d'adarrio counterparts. Is it just me?

Sorry to bump this again, but I happened across this interesting and directly related post on the GHS forum:

We will certainly consider making a nickel plated string that will bend easier as an option. Our Boomers have slightly larger core sizes than Slinky's making the Boomers tone last longer, increased durability, volume and sustain. That formula will never change. All plain strings are made from the same material, no matter who made them.

GHS Strings

That's vs. EB's, but it lends credence to what you said, jimwratt.

On another note, I've grown comfortable enough with this gauge in standard tuning that I'm going to grab another set for another guitar. :thu:

• Members

I've been running 11s for a while now. Tried the 12s but they hung up in the nut and I didn't want to mess with it.
Put some of the Ernie Ball titanium coated jobbies on the Kat last night. 11-48. So far so good but I'll have to wait and see if they do last as long as advertised before I get into a habit of spending $10 on a set of strings. Kinda pricey.

EG

• Members
It's lovely how you guys don't even mention scale length or tuning.

Sorry, I've been talking about a Hamer Sunburst, 24.75.

I can't feel the difference in tension between different scale lengths. :idk:

Gauge and tuning - yes, but different scale lengths with the same type and gauge feel similar to me.

• Members

I can't feel the difference in tension between different scale lengths.
:idk:

Gauge and tuning - yes, but different scale lengths with the same type and gauge feel similar to me.

I can't tell the diff either. Unless, you're talking like on a Duo-sonic or something really short. I switch from Les Paul's to Tele's all the time and if there is any difference, it's too slight for me to care.

• Members

I can't feel the difference in tension between different scale lengths.
:idk:

I think I felt the same for a long time, but I just got my first 25.5 Tele this week, and let me tell you that I really did notice the difference in length and tension! I tuned the 10-46 to Eb and now it's a bit too slinky on bends and I don't know what I'll do to make it just right. :facepalm::lol:

• Members

I can tell the difference...I have a 25.5" scale jazz box, and when I go back to my 24.75" LP copies, it just feels a little more...close. It's not a huge difference, and I adjust quickly, but I do notice it. for some reason, it's much more noticeable going from the jazz box to an LP than from a Strat to the LP...go figure.

...been using Boomer .11s for 19 years, except for a brief period of insanity when I went to .12s....

Archived