So I tried 11-50 Boomers on one of my guitars today...

RufusFussbuster

• Members

No reason not to use heavy gauge strings for 4/5/6... they rarely get bent, and you can always lower the bass side of the pickups if the volume isn't balanced.

I'd LOVE to go 10-60 on my high-end Pacifica, but the locking tuners won't accept any bigger than 46 gauge.

• Members

No reason not to use heavy gauge strings for 4/5/6... they rarely get bent, and you can always lower the bass side of the pickups if the volume isn't balanced.

I'd LOVE to go 10-60 on my high-end Pacifica, but the locking tuners won't accept any bigger than 46 gauge.

One thing I noticed on my 904's Sperzels, Alex, is that if I unscrew the back wheel all the way (or a little too much) it reduces the size of the hole. There is a particular spot when loosening it that leaves the opening as big as it can get. I haven't tested it but I would imagine it takes at least .050's with a little wiggling of that back wheel. I just put a .046 in this morning and I didn't need to insist at all to get it through.

I'm glad I tried the boomers. I can't put it down. Sounds incredible.

How's the neck doing?

• Members

I agree, I immediately liked the bottom end on these. I just have to get used to bending the top three. It's not horrible, just a little more strength and deliberation needed at the moment.

I think I'll try a set of thin/thick Boomers next, 10-52. I'll see how these work out for a while. Picking up my 10-46 guitars is going to feel like a vacation.

• Members

One thing I noticed on my 904's Sperzels, Alex, is that if I unscrew the back wheel all the way (or a little too much) it reduces the size of the hole. There is a particular spot when loosening it that leaves the opening as big as it can get. I haven't tested it but I would imagine it takes at least .050's with a little wiggling of that back wheel. I just put a .046 in this morning and I didn't need to insist at all to get it through.

I'm glad I tried the boomers. I can't put it down. Sounds incredible.

How's the neck doing?

I tried and tried to get a 52 through but it wouldn't go. Maybe I should try again! 46 gauge E strings are missing some fullness in the bottom end, to my ears.

The neck is fine... I'm gonna give the truss another tweak when I next restring (there is still ~0.5mm of relief) but it's certainly very playable. I haven't picked up my Strat since I bought the Pac 904, so it's now on eBay.

If I could find a second Pac 904 in similar condition for a similar price, I would... I can't imagine ever wanting to sell it.

• Members

I tried and tried to get a 52 through but it wouldn't go. Maybe I should try again! 46 gauge E strings are missing some fullness in the bottom end, to my ears.

The neck is fine... I'm gonna give the truss another tweak when I next restring (there is still ~0.5mm of relief) but it's certainly very playable. I haven't picked up my Strat since I bought the Pac 904, so it's now on eBay.

If I could find a second Pac 904 in similar condition for a similar price, I would... I can't imagine ever wanting to sell it.

So glad to hear it, Alex. It's a looker too! :thu:

Aren't you gonna miss your strat? Myself being a strat noob, I don't know how much strat territory is covered by the 904. I love mine for what it is but it is my quest for a strat that led me to it. I'm still fancying having a MAPLE neck white strat down the road. Not sure why. one of those things. And I sure tried hard to have one: I ordered a brand new 2008 american standard in Oly white. I tried it at home for a good week. sounded nice, of course, but I was dissapointed by the quality and the feel of it. Very bad set-up (as well as a few annoying cosmetic issues in the paint, etc.), Overall, it didn't do it for me. I sent it back. It was supposed to be my 50th BD present. Then I looked beyond fender (G&L, etc.). I didn't think of Pacificas at first because the highest model I had tried was the 812 and it was not what I was looking for (not straty enough, too modern). Then I heard of the topmost model Pacifica being more traditionnal and refined than anything below it and I read the reviews, looked at the specs and decided to take a risk... that one didn't go back!

• Members

...and man, do I feel like a {censored} trying to play it.

I always found my normal 10-46 pretty comfy. I guess I'm gonna get some exercise.
:)

I've been using GHS Boomers 11-50 on all my electrics for the past 16 years. ;)

• Members

I've been using GHS Boomers 11-50 on all my electrics for the past 16 years.
;)

Are you getting used to them yet? :lol:

Okay, just kidding - I played it some more yesterday, and it's already starting to feel good. I'm just a little sluggish on bends yet, or I might bend a few cents flat if I get too sloppy. I already can feel it coming back, though.

Then at the end of the day yesterday, I tuned down a half step just for fun, and it plays very nearly as easily as my 10s. I don't know if I'll stay there, though - like I said, it was getting easier in standard tuning.

Either way, I do really like the way they sound. :thu:

• Members

I agree, I immediately liked the bottom end on these. I just have to get used to bending the top three. It's not horrible, just a little more strength and deliberation needed at the moment.

I think I'll try a set of
thin/thick Boomers next, 10-52
. I'll see how these work out for a while. Picking up my 10-46 guitars is going to feel like a vacation.

Those are what I use. I usually tune standard E or drop D. They feel very comfortable to me.

• Members

11's really woke up the Les Pauls as far as the bass strings go. i am going to even find some thicker bottoms, but now that i think about it probably not the ZW ones because i dont feel like filing out tuners.

Archived