Turn me on to some good blues music

jr_vw2

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

See if you can still find this 5-CD set -- the best one-stop-shop overview of blues styles EVER, with six-and-a-half hours of music from the very earliest 1920s recordings right up to the (more-or-less) present day.

Once you've listened to it, you'll know exactly which artists and styles you like best, and you can then set off and explore the big wide wonderful world of the blues on your own.

• Members

Uh...Robert Johnson? As far as I'm concerned, the blues pretty much starts and ends with him. Maybe you're looking for electrified blues, but still...you cannot pass up Robert Johnson.

I like some of John Lee Hooker's more delta inspired stuff...not sure if I remember seeing his name here yet.

• Members

See if you can still find this 5-CD set -- the best one-stop-shop overview of blues styles EVER, with six-and-a-half hours of music from the very earliest 1920s recordings right up to the (more-or-less) present day.

Once you've listened to it, you'll know exactly which artists and styles you like best, and you can then set off and explore the big wide wonderful world of the blues on your own.

absolutely - I have a two vinyl set from the 60s that does exactly that (from 20s delta to 60s Chicago at least) and it gave me a grounding in where stuff came from and a view of what styles there are. Never stopped enjoying that.

• Members

absolutely - I have a two vinyl set from the 60s that does exactly that (from 20s delta to 60s Chicago at least) and it gave me a grounding in where stuff came from and a view of what styles there are. Never stopped enjoying that.

Paul Oliver's Story Of The Blues, perchance? I had that ...

• Members

Uh...Robert Johnson? As far as I'm concerned, the blues pretty much starts and ends with him.

I have to disagree. This is a common misconception, what with Clapton's tribute album and all the Robert Johnson fracas from a few years back that resulted in him (rightly) being lionized as one of the fathers of the blues.

I do not in any way mean to detract from Johnson's greatness. He was, without question, a great bluesman, and is rightfully famous and heralded as such.

However, he really came at the tail-end of the acoustic, rural blues genre. While he had been playing for some time prior, his recordings date from 1936-1937, not very long a all before the blues players started moving into Northern cities and going electric and starting up combo groups.

There are many, many blues artists who recorded up to a decade before Johnson and who directly influenced him.

Blind Willie McTell, Skip James, Charley Patton, Mississippi John Hurt, Blind Lemon and numerous others had already been recording (sometimes extensively) 8-to-10 years before Johnson.

• Members

I've posted this vid somewhere before, but I guarantee you will love Hound Dog!
[YOUTUBE]wZdMO4MXkMY[/YOUTUBE]

I'm also really into the delta blues style and it gets really fun once you can feel it.

Mississippi Fred McDowell
[YOUTUBE]9TyzAAwJnIw&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Blind Lemon Jefferson
[YOUTUBE]5S8Rjwwo2g4[/YOUTUBE]

Charley Patton
[YOUTUBE]yGsAh2jx6JA[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

As suggested by some others, the artists on Fat Possum records are great for something a bit different.

Junior Kimbrough
Cedell Davis
RL Burnside
T Model Ford
Kenny Brown
Bob Log III

There are some really great acts around, you just need to look hard enough. As much as I love all the 'classic' artists everyone mentions, these guys just bring something else which is what I like.

• Members

Uh...Robert Johnson? As far as I'm concerned, the blues pretty much starts and ends with him.

Don't believe the hype. He was great at what he did, but he was a just a punk kid riding the coattails of guys like Son House and Charlie Patton.

There's even a contention that he was simply a "pop" performer of his day willing to play ANY style of music to get the gig and never was a true to any one style including the blues.

His recorded work as well as the stories handed down support this and I tend to believe it. Even his "originals" weren't all that original considering when they were recorded.

Archived