Military vets and boot wearers... need some advice

Phait

• Members

I got a nice pair of new, mil spec boots, desert tan. I've had em a few weeks now, I don't wear them much -- only for walking terrain, usually on my photo trips.

Well today I'm noticing those little fuzzballs that from inside the heel of the boot... usually this can be caused by repeated slipping in/out... well, how can I easily remove them without damaging the boot?

How can I also prevent them from forming? Naturally there will be some friction walking... just a strip of duct-tap there?

Also, any suggestions for preventive foot care? I've been googling and have some ideas so far (like 1 pair of thin, skin-adhering socks, then an outer pair that are not cotton, but are moisture-wicking), to prevent blisters. Talcum powder, etc...? Any other suggestions?

I walked about 7 miles today and see 2 near-blisters on my heels that I've since put salve on and bandaged. Of my body, my feet over the years have always gotten the most abuse. But I never really did anything to prevent most of that until I realised I should :D

• Members

I've not seen the fuzzballs you've mentioned, I really wouldn't worry about them.

If you're still getting blisters they probably aren't broken in yet. Two methods: soak them in water for 45 minutes, then put them on and wear them until they dry out, hopefully on another hike or something. This breaks them in the best, BUT you will definitely have some blistered feet (I tried it this way once, won't again).

Second method: grab a rubber mallet and simply beat the living crap out of them for twenty minutes or so. This is therapeutic and almost as effective as soaking. Take them off your feet first.

The new ABU uniforms the USAF has gone to are half-cloth uppers, really no break-in required and no more polishing! :love: Of course, I'm close to retirement now... :evil:

• Members

Phait, those boots are exceedingly glamorous and stylish and user-friendly compared to the boots we used to wear in the Army...

Ours were simple black boots with no stylish or design or comfort elements sewed into them at all...

I know, I sound like I'm from that Monty Python "Four Yorkshiremen" sketch in which the old geezers are trying to one-up their discomfort... One says:

"Oh, YOU were LUCKY! When I was young, we lived in a shoebox in a hole in the road!"

Xe1a1wHxTyo

But it's true--- the boots we had bestowed blisters like you wouldn't believe... and exhibited little-or-no arch support or shock-absorption inside... :cry:

• Members

Phait, those boots are exceedingly glamorous and stylish and user-friendly compared to the boots we used to wear in the Army...

Ours were simple black boots with no stylish or design or comfort elements sewed into them at all...

But it's true--- the boots we had bestowed blisters like you wouldn't believe... and exhibited little-or-no arch support or shock-absorption inside...
:cry:

+INFINITY!!!!! Goddamn that is so true...I used to wear 2 pairs of socks at the same time (though I always made sure the black ones we were issued were on top if I was wearing the white ones so as not to get dropped during inspections LOL) and it really helped, I avoided a lot of blisters that way.

• Members

When I was in boot camp at Ft. Dix, in early 1985, the first thing they told us to do, was roll up our standard-issue olive wool socks for inspections, and go to the PX and buy some of the recently-approved olive cotton tube socks, and wear those instead.

I always wore two pair, and I never had a blister in my black regulation boots.

When I got to Ft. Gordon, GA, I did purchase a pair of jungle boots with the nylon sides, which were lighter and cooler (unless the ground was especially hot and you had to stand around alot - there is a steel plate in the sole of the jungle boots from that era), not to mention not as much area to spit shine.

green_jungle.jpg

• Members

I talked to a young vet on Facebook and he said he basically wore Under Armour moisture-wicking ankle socks, then a pair of boot socks on top of that. He said they helped "tremendously", and foot powder was only if your feet really sweat.

I still gotta find a way to prevent those fabric/fuzzballs and remove them easily.

• Members

When I was in boot camp at Ft. Dix, in early 1985, the first thing they told us to do, was roll up our standard-issue olive wool socks for inspections, and go to the PX and buy some of the recently-approved olive cotton tube socks, and wear those instead.

I always wore two pair, and I never had a blister in my black regulation boots.

When I got to Ft. Gordon, GA, I did purchase a pair of jungle boots with the nylon sides, which were lighter and cooler (unless the ground was especially hot and you had to stand around alot - there is a steel plate in the sole of the jungle boots from that era), not to mention not as much area to spit shine.

green_jungle.jpg

Damn, 'podnah', you were at Dix?

Thats about 20 miles as the 'crow flies' from my home.

How did you enjoy lovely, cosmopolitan Wrightstown?;)

I was regular Navy (Viet Nam era)... No, I stayed Stateside.

I used to drive up to Dix and spring my draftee buddies out of Barracks on the weekends, and bring them home to Trenton...MP's were vexed because I knew all the backroads out of base and NEVER got caught...Jersey Pinelands is were I hunted and fished.

Weird, fast forward to 2001, 9/11...I'm a County Senior Investigator whose expertise is survelliance techniques, Felon Fugitive Apprehension, and as a side job, I was trained by Motor Vehicles Dept to be a 'Questioned Documents' expert...

Personnel from the Naval State Guards recently reformed Forces, paid me a visit at my job...they offered me an Officers Commision if I would volunteer...

I turned down their pay, took the commision,

Lt.Jg.:blah: I became a 'Sir' for a years time. I trained, and did active duty at the 'Tunnels' to NYC, Nuke Power Plants, etc.

I still use the Firing Range at Dix and the Officers Club, for cheap drinks and stares, and derogatory comments from 'real officers':lol:

The best part is, I can still vist the PX AND the Mess Hall, most of the cooks are from 'Down Under' (your part of the country) as James Brown said:lol:

The Mess still makes the best '{censored} on a Shingle' I ever, ever, had:thu:

Cooter, sorry for the rant but one more question...what was your MOS?

• Members

But it's true--- the boots we had bestowed blisters like you wouldn't believe... and exhibited little-or-no arch support or shock-absorption inside...
:cry:

OK, and YOU too... Soldier...yes 'Ahm talkin' to Yew, Maggot...doan be 'eye{censored}in' dat 'telephome' pole to yer left...U KNOW ahm talkin' to you!

Wot was yer MOS????

;)

• Members

Damn, 'podnah', you were at Dix?

Thats about 20 miles as the 'crow flies' from my home.

How did you enjoy lovely, cosmopolitan Wrightstown?
;)

Cooter, sorry for the rant but one more question...what was your MOS?

They told us "Don't go to Wrightstown" when I got there, so I obeyed, like a good soldier.

I really was not enamoured of that scrub post. I was there from January until March of 1985.

Cold, rainy, snowy...ugly post...screwed up BT.

I was "lucky" enough to be involved in a "new 10-week BT" program that my company and another at Fort Jackson were picked for. It was a total cluster{censored} - CJCS Gen. Vessey was there just shaking his head. We wound up in BT for 12 weeks! >:( Future Gulf War celebrity Gen. Thomas Kelly was our PC.

My MOS was 31M...hence my time at lovely Ft. Gordon, GA. Very nice post.

• Members

OK, and YOU too... Soldier...yes 'Ahm talkin' to Yew, Maggot...doan be 'eye{censored}in' dat 'telephome' pole to yer left...U KNOW ahm talkin' to you!

Wot was yer MOS????

;)

:mad:WHATS YER LINE NUMBER, {censored}HEAD TRAINEE?!?!?!:mad:

Loved the reception station shakedown.

My Dad was ex-military so I was completely prepared for the game called "basic training." :cool:

• Members

They told us "Don't go to Wrightstown" when I got there, so I obeyed, like a good soldier.

I really was not enamoured of that scrub post. I was there from January until March of 1985.

Cold, rainy, snowy...ugly post...screwed up BT.

I was "lucky" enough to be involved in a "new 10-week BT" program that my company and another at Fort Jackson were picked for. It was a total cluster{censored} - CJCS Gen. Vessey was there just shaking his head. We wound up in BT for 12 weeks! >
:(
Future Gulf War celebrity Gen. Thomas Kelly was our PC.

My MOS was 31M...hence my time at lovely Ft. Gordon, GA. Very nice post.

Sorry I missed the Ft. Gordon mention on your initial post.... woulda maybe guessed your MOS

Yeah, {censored}, you were 'in the Pines' on probably the ugliest time of the year...It is never pretty there, at best, a little less ugly in the summer months...but the mosquitoes have been known to pick up and carry away any recruit less than 120 lbs.

• Members

I got a nice pair of new, mil spec boots, desert tan. I've had em a few weeks now, I don't wear them much -- only for walking terrain, usually on my photo trips.

Well today I'm noticing those little fuzzballs that from inside the heel of the boot... usually this can be caused by repeated slipping in/out... well, how can I easily remove them without damaging the boot?

How can I also prevent them from forming? Naturally there will be some friction walking... just a strip of duct-tap there?

Also, any suggestions for preventive foot care? I've been googling and have some ideas so far (like 1 pair of thin, skin-adhering socks, then an outer pair that are not cotton, but are moisture-wicking), to prevent blisters. Talcum powder, etc...? Any other suggestions?

I walked about 7 miles today and see 2 near-blisters on my heels that I've since put salve on and bandaged. Of my body, my feet over the years have always gotten the most abuse. But I never really did anything to prevent most of that until I realised I should
:D

When I was in the army, we had three days of intensive fuzz-ball prevention training.

It's a shame to see what America is coming to now. Apparently, our soldiers

aren't even properly equipped & trained to prevent fuzz balls from forming in their boots.

God help 'em if they have to fight a war.

• Members

When I was in the army, we had three days of intensive fuzz-ball prevention training.

It's a shame to see what America is coming to now. Apparently, our soldiers

aren't even properly equipped & trained to prevent fuzz balls from forming in their boots.

God help 'em if they have to fight a war.

Why, they're becoming like those gay Dutch soldiers.... whom we now know caused the Bosnian genocide.

Whew. Glad we solved that question.

Sheehanx390.jpg

Archived