I'm getting Married Next Weekend! Any Words of Wisdom? :)

sventvkg

• Members

If I were you, I would never ever get in a serious relationship.

I can't begin to tell you how many couples I know of that have broken up because one person screwed around on the other (Google divorce rates for first marraiges and see). Whether they're married couples or just in a relationship, it happens. I keep my relationships casual these days (I have been burned in the past a few times) to avoid all the crap.

Good luck to you (the OP) I really, really hope it works out well for you both, just saying that in the real world a long lasting relationship untouched by infidelity is very rare.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
  • Members
Men who marry live longer and enjoy better physical and mental health than those who don't.

Of course, because you get to join her health care plan! :)

Men who marry get more sex than those who don't.

Some laugh at this, but it's actually true. Though the "more sex" usually comes from an extramarital affair.

• Members

Getting married? I am really happy for you. Live long and prosper.

Advice - See it as a long journey with only 1 true person by your side. Where ever this journey leads to, hold on tight to your partner, working out any problems along the way together through good times and bad.

Love is the greatest gift of all.

• Members
Yeah, Michaelhigh has been dredging up older thread a lot.

But this gives me the opportunity to ask...how's married life so far?

So far it's more good then bad but you have to remember I'm a very set in my ways guy who didn't get married until I was 39 and I inherited 2 stepsons in this as well so it's a big transformation. Basically we made a deal and that deal is the way we are going to treat each other as well as live our lives. I walk if I lose my freedom to be me:) She knows I will and she's free to do the same if I don't follow my deal with her and treat her well.

I will say kids are a pain in the A$$ and I like them more in the background doing their own thing then most people my age but that's how I was raised. We played and had fun but the adults who were all mostly musicians and artists did their thing...The thing I hate about the way a lot of kids are raised these days by parents of my generation is that they lose themselves and live only for the kids!! Like the adult they were and all the things they did ceased to exist and they just become this zombie parent who could only have conversations about SpongeBob and kid {censored}. I find that odd and refuse to raise my stepsons that way. We are all struggling a bit for control in the relationship a couple of years in..I like more silence and Zen in the house then they were used to because they had the run of the house before and I will not stand for it. They can play in their room or outside...Being a songwriter and artist doesn't help and of course, I need my space to create as well. All in all it's a work in progress and the only time the wife and I really fight is when the kids are around. When they are with their father, it's like a honeymoon. It takes a lot of work and courage to marry a woman with 2 kids :) I'm the type to jump in so I hope it all works out. We're waiting around to move to Nashville now and hopefully, that will be happening before year's end:) So there ya have it man..So far it's a go!

Archived