Vintage vs Reissue Ampeg J-12

spanishfly47.5

• Members

Hey y'all.

I've got within a short drive of me 2 GC's. One has a vintage Ampeg Jet j-12, priced at 479. I am not sure what version though. The other has a Jet II reissue, J-12t, priced at 399. Given the small price differential, I'm looking for advice as to which way to go. I seem to be seeing that both should be reliable. So is there any particular benefit to either?

Secondly, I'd love to hear any opinions on these amps, tone-wise, from those that have them or have played them.

muchisimas gracias

• Members

All vintage J12's are nice sounding amps.

But many use harder to find tubes. 6BK11 triple triode preamp tubes and 7591 power tubes. You can get modern 75891's, though they are really just other tubes with the 7591 pin layout, but the 6BK11's are rare, not just expensive, but hard to find period, most people have to substitute a NOS 6C10.

There are plenty of old models that used 12AX7 preamp tubes and also 6V6GT power tubes as well.

The RI's were great sounding amps but often had construction quality issues, many had cabinet and speaker resonance problems.

• Members

The RI's were great sounding amps but often had construction quality issues, many had cabinet and speaker resonance problems.

I can attest to this, I have two RIs (and i use that term loosely) and one of them, my j12t, had some buzzing issues that took me a while to sort out. They are also prone to tube rattle because of their construction. They can be great sounding amps but definitely spend some time with it before you buy. Crank it up and listen for buzzing, rattling and strange harmonic overtones cause by either tube or cabinet rattle. The j12t sounds great pushed so make sure the one you gets lets you do it. :p

The only thing I didn't like on the j12t was the reverb. It sounded very large stock, but very flat so I swapped the tank for one with longer springs. Well worth the $30 upgrade.

Also the RIs don't really have much in common with the old designs so play them both and see what you like best. And as wyatt pointed out Ampeg changed the tube compliment on their early production amps quite a bit and there are several versions of vintage Jets out there. Usually you can get a vague idea of what it will sound like by it's cosmetics. Their first covering was a sort of blue gray tolex with a random wrinkle pattern. Those amps will sound very gritty with little headroom. Then came the blue diamond tolex amps which have a bit more clean headroom and a sweeter sound. Great amps for rock, blues, jazz and rockabilly. Their reverb and trem circuits from that time period were outstanding. Those are my favorite. I have a 65 gemini and am on the prowl for a clean r12.

Then came the seventies black tolex amps which were loud and clean. I don't have much experience with or interest in those amps.

• Members

also, at least from what I've seen, it would appear that the vintage doesn't have reverb, just trem, while the reissue has both. truth?

I have the vintage and it has only tremolo. Simple circuit, on/off and speed. But it's sweet sounding.

I really like mine. But it could probably do with a speaker replacement. The old vintage Jenson has a "woofy" quality. You'll have to play the one you're interested in and see how you like it. But I like mine for what it is.

• Members

Lots of great info here. :thu:

I picked up a gently used J12T reissue (reverb and tremolo) about a month ago off craigslist for a song. Such a warm sounding amp that compliments sparkly single coils very nicely. I seldom play out and not in a setting that allows me to really "push" it so I have no resonance problems to report...other than it can make some things in my guitar room vibrate. :o

• Members

well the thing about the originals . . . is there about the same price as the reissues, if not less. So buy an original with a good bill of health, and maybe youll have some extra pocket cash for maitinence. . . I mean the amp will never be worth less money unless you paid to much for it.

• Members

Lots of great info here.
:thu:

I picked up a gently used J12T reissue (reverb and tremolo) about a month ago off craigslist for a song. Such a warm sounding amp that compliments sparkly single coils very nicely. I seldom play out and not in a setting that allows me to really "push" it so I have no resonance problems to report...other than it can make some things in my guitar room vibrate.
:o

I'm glad to see these amps are finally seeing some appreciation around here. It's a great amp for what they are selling for now. Unfortunately the prices are starting to go up. A year ago you could score one for around 200, now they are regularly going for around 350 to 400.

You are right about the single coils. My daily routine is now plugging my strat straight into the jet. Sounds especially good with p90s too. :cool:

• Members

well the thing about the originals . . . is there about the same price as the reissues, if not less. So buy an original with a good bill of health, and maybe youll have some extra pocket cash for maitinence. . . I mean the amp will never be worth less money unless you paid to much for it.

Is that true? I don't see that many originals around, but I would think they fetch a good amount of money being handwired and such. :idk:

The guy I bought mine from had an original from when he was a kid (probably late 60's early 70's). It apparently has issues, so his plan was take the cash from the RI he sold me to pay a tech go through and clean up his original (for sentimental reasons). The guy also had a big Reverb Rocket or Rocket Jet 212 monster for when he plays with band in larger venues, but his current main rig was some sort of Roland amp that looked more like a Bose radio than a guitar amp. :lol:

• Members

Is that true? I don't see that many originals around, but I would think they fetch a good amount of money being handwired and such.
:idk:

No. Good condition vintage jets go for around 600 to 800 these days.

The one in the OP seems to be in OK condition which is why it's selling so low.

• Members

yeah, both of these are used.

on the gc website they have ratings of 3 stars(vintage) and 4 stars(reissue)

there isn't much commentary on them, but the reissue is listed as being in 'great' condition. nothing for the vintage. they didn't even spell the name right, it says 'vintage ampe j12 jet'

and unfortunately, yes prices have gone up.

after what you all have said(thanks for that btw) I am leaning towards the reissue due to its slightly lower price, having both trem and reverb, and better condition. I am going to go check out the vintage one later, the reissue is abuot 50 miles away so that won't happen today. I'll respond back with any more info i have.

of course respond if this decision is just plain crazy! :lol:

• Members

yeah, both of these are used.

on the gc website they have ratings of 3 stars(vintage) and 4 stars(reissue)

there isn't much commentary on them, but the reissue is listed as being in 'great' condition. nothing for the vintage. they didn't even spell the name right, it says 'vintage ampe j12 jet'

and unfortunately, yes prices have gone up.

after what you all have said(thanks for that btw) I am leaning towards the reissue due to its slightly lower price, having both trem and reverb, and better condition. I am going to go check out the vintage one later, the reissue is abuot 50 miles away so that won't happen today. I'll respond back with any more info i have.

of course respond if this decision is just plain crazy!
:lol:

For what it's worth I'd rather have the reissue in great condition than a vintage amp that's in only ok condition, so I think you are making the right choice. It can end up being much more costly in the end to get a vintage tube amp that may not be entirely healthy. They can easily become a money pit.

Report back and let us know what you think of that little gem. :thu:

• Members

so as long as my interpretation is correct, this amp looks to be a 1967.

I just have to hope that the amps are still there in about 2 weeks as i'm doin this on the down low, sneaking in the purchase while the parents are out of town... even siphoning cash out slowly so it doesn't show up on my credit card or bank statements... :;)

• Members

Yeah, the panel is copper colored. This is from Ampeg's Glo series that only ran from 1967-1968. They got discontinued in favor of some other model.

The coolest thing about this amp is that it has two inputs. "Guitar" and "Accordion".

It's got tremolo but sadly it doesn't work.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

so to update, I went and checked out the reissue at GC. I decided not go get that, as i think it had a problem. first off it sounded really really buzzy. secondly it was already starting to break up with the volume only on 3. which didn't seem quite right to me. anyway a few days later I followed up a craigslist ad, purchased a Fender Blues Junior instead of either amp.

I think it worked out well.

Archived