Strat build

EJD

• Members

I was going to put this up after 2.0 came, but now they've announced that all threads made will be saved again, I thought, why not :thu:

This is my Strat build. I received a fully loaded Squier Bullet body as a Christmas present in December, and I've been making big plans for it :D

380130257.jpg

It doesn't look Surf Green, but in real life it is. Trying to get an accurate colour shade in a guitar pic, as you know, can be hell.

So, here's the obligatory Kisekae mockup, and spec list!

Image2-2.jpg

NECK:

Mighty Mite

22 frets

Compound radius

Skunk stripe

10mm tuner holes - I'm putting vintage split-posts in, so Stew Mac's conversion bushings should sort me out there.

Graphtech nut

BODY:

Surf Green

Fully shielded (copper or conductive paint? I'm not sure)

BG V60's :thu:

"Blank" knobs/pickup covers

Villex jack booster

A couple of old chrome strap buttons I have lying around

Tri toggle switching arrangement - literally "pickup on/off"

About the one master tone, and one master volume - this has been an age-old problem with the Strat. I honestly don't know why they didn't go with a master tone/master volume setup like on the Tele, not that I'm bashing Fender or anything. With my setup, not only will the knob be out of the way of my hand, and the tremolo arm - but I'll get tone control over the bridge pickup as well.

Originally, I was going with black pickups/knobs on the white pickguard, but it didn't really work for me. I put three black knobs and a black tip on there, but it just didn't look as good as the white. I always liked how the Lace Sensor pickups looked, to that was the way to go. I thought blank knobs - no lettering or numbering - would be the cherry on the cake. I'll probably do it with some filler/paint, and Bryan can do the V60's with level poles so my custom covers will fit right :thu:

Last but not least, here's the neck. It's on it's way from the US. I put up an ad wanting a maple neck, and in came Powerglide350 with a great deal. A neck with EVERYTHING I want, for $100 shipped to the UK! :D

So when that gets here in a couple of weeks, there's going to be one big update to this thread, that's for sure!

Thanks for checking it out. No telling how long it will take, as I'm short on money, but I'll be sure to update this thread whenever there are any developments :wave:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

not that I'm bashing Fender or anything.

...of course not...who'd ever want to bash Fender?

which is another design flaw with the original Strat.

:poke:

:D

Honestly Ethan, it looks like a really cool project...I hope it comes out as good as the concept...:thu:

• Members

Looks spiffy. I've never been a big fan of the individual switches as my first new guitar had them and I pretty much HATED them, but looks like a great project guitar.

A local forum member is building up a strat with a compound radius and I can't wait to check it out... if he EVER gets it done!

:mad:

:lol:

• Members

Cheers Cratz :thu:

It's already taken a turn for the worst, though. Vintage Clubber posted up about how his Squier Bullet body is too thin for the standard-depth trem block he's got for it.

Bollocks :facepalm:

I'll keep the body hanging around, loaded. It was a present, after all... all I was actually going to use was the body, anyway. Plus there are a couple of annoying chips, and it's a rather pale shade of Surf Green. And it's a swimming pool route, made of basswood... meh.

Guess I'll start saving for a new body and some Surf Green paint then. I was planning to get the V60's next, but it looks like they'll be on hold for now. Damn, I hate having to be such a perfectionist :facepalm:

Mind you, I could slap one of those nice vintage-style necks from AxesRUs on it, and have a nice '57 style as well. Win win. Two Surf Green guits.

New body for this puppy though. As always, I'll let you know :thu:

• Members

I have the 3 switch config. on both of my "Strats". And master vol, tone. The one with rails I had dpdt center off with coil cuts and found I never used the cuts. So both guitars have on/off switches now. Good setup. And I agree. Fender should have done this from the start. Good luck, happy building. BTW can you cut down the trem block? If it don't fit, force it. That's what I tell my GF.:lol:

• Members

Looks like your off to a great start.. Keep us posted and check out Jeff Chevaliers 59 and 67 Pickups. {Copperheads} Jeff is in Quebec, Canada.. Awesome Vintage scatter wound pickups. The 67 just kill Hendrix sound.. The 59 are Stevie to the core.. I have one of each sets in my Strats.

• Members

Looks like your off to a great start.. Keep us posted and check out Jeff Chevaliers 59 and 67 Pickups. {Copperheads} Jeff is in Quebec, Canada.. Awesome Vintage scatter wound pickups. The 67 just kill Hendrix sound.. The 59 are Stevie to the core.. I have one of each sets in my Strats.

Umm... I don't think so. I wrote "BG V60's" up there in very large font. BG all the way! :D

Thanks anyway.

• Members

Look at Ebay item 190372727621

I don't know, man. It looks good, but... I don't really trust cheap parts.

I know, I just said I might get one of those cheapie necks from AxesRUs. OMG, hypocrisy, contradiction, or whatever. But, that would be for a cheapie body (the Squier), and just something quick. I'm going balls-out on the hot rod I describe in the OP (I must concoct a name for it! Ideas anyone?), so I'm going balls-out with the wallet. See what I mean? You might question that, but it's just how I do things... each to their own :thu:

Cheers though, mate. You rock :thu:

Of course, I'll keep you all posted! :rawk:

• Moderators

I don't know, man. It looks good, but... I don't really trust cheap parts.

Hmmm, never having used an economy body I can hardly push that one more, but it does look better than the average, and my judgement is based on the quality of the routs, which look very accurate.

Your best bet now is an Allparts body

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Check out what the Parcel Force man dropped off today!

DSCF1466.jpg

DSCF1467.jpg

One-piece maple

22 frets

Skunk stripe

Standard C profile

10mm tuner holes (going to get Stew Mac's conversion bushings)

Compound radius

Headstock-adjusting truss rod

Talk about a gorgeous piece of wood. Having played a few Fender Strats, I can honestly say that this is about equal in quality and feel. For $100! Fantastic stuff!

I tried it on the Bullet body... it didn't fit! Well, it did, but it was just a tadge too thin. I'm thinking that maybe Squier/import necks have a slightly wider heel? Don't know.

Either way, I'm bloody happy right now. Mad props to Powerglide350 for this awesome, awesome neck.

Peace out - I'll keep you updated! :thu:

Archived